Corsair AX1500i Has 80 Plus Titanium Cerificate; Costs $450

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Who would pay that much for a PSU?!

Well, the kind of person that builds a computer that needs 1500W clearly has enough discretionary income to throw money at the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people that need that kind of power buy their components on the "The most expensive part must be the best!" mentality.

A system with 4 R9 290x would require a PSU like this. Good for a super-powered bitcoin mining build.

Other than that, what are they going to call PSUs with better efficiency than 80+ Titanium in the future? 80+ Kryptonite?

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
A system with 4 R9 290x would require a PSU like this. Good for a super-powered bitcoin mining build.

Other than that, what are they going to call PSUs with better efficiency than 80+ Titanium in the future? 80+ Kryptonite?

I suggest Mithril or Valyrian Steel

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008

Actually the only one on that list from them with a Titanium rating is a 500W one on 4/26/2012. There were actually 230V 80 Plus Titanium rated PSUs well before 115V ones, which is understandable as if you look at the review for the Corsair AX1500i, the 230V outputs at 100% load the same as 115V at 50% load.

Dell even had a Titanium rated PSU before SuperFlower did in 1/30/2012. I could go through them all but I wont as it is too much of a waste of time.

I would say Corsair is the first major manufacture of a super high wattage Titanium rated digital PSU.

I would say they are more known as a OEM manufacture, much like how Seasonic has made PSUs for Corsair and so have other companies.

I have never seen a SuperFlower PSU in person except a OEM PC once. Then again they might not sell in every country or every part of the country, especially the US that is saturated with a ton of PSU brands these days.

dstarr3

Distinguished
As far as I know, SuperFlower never sold PSUs branded with their own name. I could be wrong about that, though. But they've manufactured PSUs sold by Rosewill, PC Power and Cooling, Antec, etc. And SuperFlower is easily, EASILY one of the highest-quality OEMs for power supplies.

Only someone going tri or guad gpu would need something like that... even there, tri or quad AMD gpu. After seeing the result of two 295x in CF, I don't see any point going tri or quad... or buying a 1500W PSU. I think Corsair is crazier than the video card makers...

lp231

Splendid
While a PSU is something not to go cheap on, but this PSU cost way too much. It doesn't matter if it's Titanium certified. All I see is the use of "Titanium" just to sell it with a insane price tag. Also Corsair PSU that supports their Corsair Link cost more than the ones that don't.
Corsair AX860 $178 vs Corsair AX860i $239, that is $61 dollars in difference.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139041
If this psu cost around $300 to $350, then it would have been at a reasonable price, but at that price, only those dumb enough would fall for their "Titanium" marketing nonsense.
Corsair should have just call it Plutonium and charge $1,000 dollars.
Yeah cause buying a over price PSU some how magically makes a GTX750 run faster than a GTX780Ti.

@ dstarr3
meant to vote up on that comment, accidentally clicked on the opposite.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The 760i retails around $180. The 860i around $230. The 1200i around $350. $450 for a 1500 W PSU is in line with the pricing of Corsairs existing X00i line of PSUs. They are pricey, but part of what you're supposedly paying for is the digital interface, which some do find useful. Furthermore, this will be the first widely distributed "90-Plus titanium" certified PSU, all of which does add a premium whether we like it or not (higher quality parts and tech to achieve such certifications and features). The price only seem ridiculous if you've never looked at a PSU in that power/feature range. The only other 1500W PSUs readily available are a 80-plus Silver from SilverStone at $300, and a Cooler Master also a Silver at ~$370. All I'm saying here is that for its features, the market equivalents, and the relative pricing of the model line, the $450 price tag is not all that outrageous. Again, though, I don't know that there are very many people who need that much power.

As for the "first" claim, that was probably meant to mean "first retail". From what I understand the only other iterations were all from OEMs, meaning you'd have to either get them second-hand or through non-standard consumer channels. The vast majority of PC DIYers, let alone PC owners in general, probably don't even know who any of the OEM manufacturers are, let alone one like SuperFlower who absolutely doesn't sell their won branded stuff retail.

I am sure they exist, just not as much as others.

Personally I love the Corsair fan design. With the AXi series you can create custom fan profiles as well.

Um the Titanium is a legit 80 Plus certification that is given when it meets the stated requirements, and that is 9x% efficient at 50% load or better. It is not marketing, it is a real cert.

The digital part is although the AXi have been shown to be a bit better in ripple and more consistent power delivery. Not a ton but still a difference.

DRosencraft , They do sell their own stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271423507238?lpid=82

You just can't but it through normal e-tailer channels.

ihog

Distinguished

I'm seeing a lot of "I don't need this, so no one could ever need this" posts. C'mon, guys.

Yup, and don't forget the seven year warranty!

lp231

Splendid

I don't need it, does not mean others won't need it as well. If you need a 1500w psu, then go for it, no one is stopping you from getting it. If one is just running a iGPU, will they need a Corsair AX1500i? No, they can just get a Corsair CX430 and that will provided plenty of power for their computer.
My problem isn't about that amount of wattage from the PSU, the problem is the price tag. I just don't see how it would cost $450 even if it's 80 Plus Titanium certified.
Maybe as DRosencraft had mentioned, it's because it's the very first widely available 80Plus! Titanium certified PSU, thus the reason why it cost that much.
This some what reminded me of the psu, I'm still using right now, a Antec 850w True Power Quattro. When it first came out. It was the only 80 Plus! certified psu during that time, other 80 plus certifications didn't exist yet. Cost $200 at Circuit City, quite pricey, but I took the plunge and bought it. After that they release newer revision of it with 80Plus Bronze certified and cost less.
For now, if you just got the have it and have the money to burn, then go for it. For me personally, I would wait until other PSU makers releases their 80Plus Titanium Certified PSU, then we can have more choices and better prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS