[SOLVED] Corsair Carbide 500R loud buzzing sound except when I touch the front of the case. How to fix?

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
It doesn't occur at all times, but when it does it's obnoxious. It didn't use to happen when I had a 5TB Toshiba 7200 internal, but it has happened ever since I installed a 12TB WD 5400 RPM white drive in the same drive bay. When the loud buzzing sound occurs, it will stop if I hold my finger on the front of the case but comes back when I remove the finger. Anyone have an idea how to stop the sound? I'm hoping I can find someone who has this particular case. For inserting the hard drive, it just has some plastic slots in the metal bay that the hard drive fits firmly in with no screw holes.

Solution
It doesn't occur at all times, but when it does it's obnoxious. It didn't use to happen when I had a 5TB Toshiba 7200 internal, but it has happened ever since I installed a 12TB WD 5400 RPM white drive in the same drive bay. When the loud buzzing sound occurs, it will stop if I hold my finger on the front of the case but comes back when I remove the finger. Anyone have an idea how to stop the sound? I'm hoping I can find someone who has this particular case. For inserting the hard drive, it just has some plastic slots in the metal bay that the hard drive fits firmly in with no screw holes.
You have a vibration. You will have to find out what is hitting together. You might be able to silence it by moving your side panel ever...

kanewolf

Titan
You have a vibration. You will have to find out what is hitting together. You might be able to silence it by moving your side panel ever so slightly and retightening the screws. You might have to get vibration isolators for your disks. You might be able to put a small piece of cardboard or similar between your side panel and the rest of the case.

Solution
Roll up a paper tube and put it to your ear to locate precisely the source of the sound.

I might expect to find a fan blade touching something something like a cable.

Some hard drives do vibrate a bit so possibly your mount is the cause.
You can isolate HDD vibration by using rubber bands or other means to isulate the hdd from vibration.