[SOLVED] Corsair commander pro issue (fans randomly shutting off for a second)

Sep 10, 2020
I've built a brand new system, which was working fine. When adding 3 LL120 fans, i initially installed them using the corsair rgb fan hub and the node pro. This was working fine and stable.
As i wanted to be able to control the fan speed i bought a commander pro.

I've removed the node pro and kept the rgb hub which i combined with the commander pro. The rgb hub is connected to the commander pro via the led input on the commander pro.
Now, randomly my 3 ll120 fans, which are connected to the commander pro, seem to shut off for a second, losing rotation and light, but it all boots up again a second after and everything seems fine again. Oddly enough the front usb port of my case stops working at that very moment as well.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this? Sometimes it doesn't happen for hours but a bit later it can happen every few minutes.

My system:
motherboard: Asus Prime x570-pro
gpu: MSI Geforce 2070 super
ram: vengeance pro 16gb
cpu: ryzen 3700x with corsair h100i se cooler
fans: 3 x corsair ll120
psu: corsair rm750x white

Solution
The rgb hub is connected to the commander pro via the led input on the commander pro

Fans are fans. Those will connect to the Commander. The lighting should also connect directly to the Commander. The Commander should be using USB via iCue software to control everything.

A hub is a hardwired splitter. There's only One control circuit, a Master, and everything else is a Slave. Meaning the Commander is only seeing One lighting circuit, with 3 fans worth of lighting power required. Those LL's should go directly to the Commander, not through the hub, so the Commander sees 3x fans and 3x lights and can adjust power accordingly.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fans and lights are not the same thing. Consider them as 2 seperate entities, like a light strip glued to a fan, and things will make more sense. Saying the fans stop rotating for a second is entirely different than the lighting affects shutting off.

For the lights, it's more likely that having the hub with 3x lights connected is overloading the circuit of a single connector on the Commander Pro, forcing a reset of the CP, which happens to also kill the rpm temporarily.

Take the hub out of the equation, connect the fans directly.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The rgb hub is connected to the commander pro via the led input on the commander pro

Fans are fans. Those will connect to the Commander. The lighting should also connect directly to the Commander. The Commander should be using USB via iCue software to control everything.

A hub is a hardwired splitter. There's only One control circuit, a Master, and everything else is a Slave. Meaning the Commander is only seeing One lighting circuit, with 3 fans worth of lighting power required. Those LL's should go directly to the Commander, not through the hub, so the Commander sees 3x fans and 3x lights and can adjust power accordingly.

Solution
Sep 10, 2020

Thank you for explaining. Correct me if i'm mistaken, but doesnt the commander pro only have 2 rgb inputs? I need 3, isn't it? Where should i connect the RGB's to the commander, which input?

Btw: does this also explain why, at the moments where the fans + rgb stop working, my front case usb 3.0 ports also stop working?

Last edited: