Question Corsair Commander pro

Nov 12, 2019
tmchorizon.wordpress
Hey I need a little help getting my Commander pro up and running. For some reason it's not getting power and I'm pretty sure it's all hooked up correctly. I am using an Biostar TB 350 BTC pro with an AM 4 socket. Therma lake 850 gold PSU. I have a Corsair AIO CPU cooler and fan plugged into the fan headers on MB.
Every thing powers on fine and works. I plug in the CP USB to the usb1 header ony MB.. plug CP data power into available data plug on MB. Use the fan extension cables that came with it to plug in my 3 be quiet fans. Turn power supply on and fire it up and everything comes on bit the CP unit . No LED light shows on unit.
I have tried plugging the 6 pin data connection into sata port on PSU and computer won't turn on at all like that. So plugged it back into sata on MB. Computer powers on but no Commander pro. Anybody have any suggestions on what the problem could be. ????

Nov 12, 2019
tmchorizon.wordpress
Did you connect the SATA power to it? It does require power from the PSU directly.
Did you connect the SATA power to it? It does require power from the PSU directly.
Hi and thanks for the reply. When I plug a six pin data cable into the sata port on the back of the PSU the computer won't turn on at all. When I plug it directly into the male data plug on MB the comp turns on but Commander pro no power.
What do you think

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suspect strongly that you have made at least one bad connection. In particular, you say, "plug CP data power into available data plug on MB". I know of no "Commander Pro Data Power" connector or cable that plugs into a mobo anywhere.

The Commander Pro has TWO cables attached to it permanently. One ends in a flat wide connector that must plug into a SATA power output connector from your PSU to get power for the CP. The other ends in a different connector that must plug into a USB2 header of your mobo. THIS is the ONLY cable from the CP to your mobo!

Along the sides of the CP are a variety of ports. Two are labelled LED and are outputs used to connect to lighting systems to control them. Six are labelled FAN outputs and used to power and control case fans. On the other side, there are four sockets to connect temperature sensors that come with the CP, and these are optional. Beside those are two USB ports but these are NOT to be used to connect to any mobo port! These are intended for use as "replacement" USB2 headers for other devices, since one mobo USB2 header was "consumed" by a cable from the CP. For example, if you have other Corsair devices (e.g. lighting hubs) that require connection to a mobo USB2 header so that iCue can communcate with them, you can plug those into these ports of the CP rather than trying to find another mobo USB2 header.

So, check and correct all your connections to the Commander Pro. When you boot back up, I suggest you UNinstall the iCue software, then re-install it. That way it can re-detect the correct mobo ports for communicating with the Commander Pro.

Important point based on your posts above. You have a MODULAR power supply unit which has several different sockets on one side for its outputs. You are NEVER expected to plug some other device's cables into the sockets on the PSU. You plug into those sockets ONLY the output cables that come with the PSU. Each of those output cables provides a certain mix of actual output connectors that DO connect to your mobo or devices. For example, there is one cable that goes from the 24-pin ATX socket on the PSU to a ATX power input socket on your mobo. There are several cables that can plug into the PSU's "Peripheral and SATA" sockets that each provide a mixture of SATA and 4-pin Molex power output connectors that can be connected to SATA drives, optical drives, and other devices needing power via that type of PSU output. ONE of the SATA outputs from one of these is where you plug in the power cable for the Commander Pro unit. Any cable from the CP unit does NOT plug directly into a PSU socket. The ONLY connection between the Commander Pro unit and the PSU is one of the permanently-connected cables from the CP to a SATA power ouput connector on one of the CABLES from the PSU, NOT to a PSU socket!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019
tmchorizon.wordpress
I suspect strongly that you have made at least one bad connection. In particular, you say, "plug CP data power into available data plug on MB". I know of no "Commander Pro Data Power" connector or cable that plugs into a mobo anywhere.

The Commander Pro has TWO cables attached to it permanently. One ends in a flat wide connector that must plug into a SATA power output connector from your PSU to get power for the CP. The other ends in a different connector that must plug into a USB2 header of your mobo. THIS is the ONLY cable from the CP to your mobo!

Along the sides of the CP are a variety of ports. Two are labelled LED and are outputs used to connect to lighting systems to control them. Six are labelled FAN outputs and used to power and control case fans. On the other side, there are four sockets to connect temperature sensors that come with the CP, and these are optional. Beside those are two USB ports but these are NOT to be used to connect to any mobo port! These are intended for use as "replacement" USB2 headers for other devices, since one mobo USB2 header was "consumed" by a cable from the CP. For example, if you have other Corsair devices (e.g. lighting hubs) that require connection to a mobo USB2 header so that iCue can communcate with them, you can plug those into these ports of the CP rather than trying to find another mobo USB2 header.

So, check and correct all your connections to the Commander Pro. When you boot back up, I suggest you UNinstall the iCue software, then re-install it. That way it can re-detect the correct mobo ports for communicating with the Commander Pro.

Important point based on your posts above. You have a MODULAR power supply unit which has several different sockets on one side for its outputs. You are NEVER expected to plug some other device's cables into the sockets on the PSU. You plug into those sockets ONLY the output cables that come with the PSU. Each of those output cables provides a certain mix of actual output connectors that DO connect to your mobo or devices. For example, there is one cable that goes from the 24-pin ATX socket on the PSU to a ATX power input socket on your mobo. There are several cables that can plug into the PSU's "Peripheral and SATA" sockets that each provide a mixture of SATA and 4-pin Molex power output connectors that can be connected to SATA drives, optical drives, and other devices needing power via that type of PSU output. ONE of the SATA outputs from one of these is where you plug in the power cable for the Commander Pro unit. Any cable from the CP unit does NOT plug directly into a PSU socket. The ONLY connection between the Commander Pro unit and the PSU is one of the permanently-connected cables from the CP to a SATA power ouput connector on one of the CABLES from the PSU, NOT to a PSU socket!
I've been building rigs for awhile. I just checked all the connections they are sound and correct. When I plug the CP into the sata power in the PSU the rig will not turn on. It just makes a click. When I unplug tQ1 we q I'mhe CP data power from PSU it turns on again. What the hell could