Corsair Crystal 570X ATX Case Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I no where ever called anyone "quite silly" nor did I even mean that.

That is the problem with the internet, Jack. You cannot possibly assume what one meant without any tone or intonation to the words. I could have been sarcastic or serious but tone is one of the defining features of that and without it you cannot just assume that your context is correct and everyone else context is wrong.

The wording the post used looks like, without any context, to be a blanket statement. I

Wow a corsair case that actually supports a 360mm radiator? Finally the enthusiasts got to them!

The first part states a case that fits a 360mm rad. The design of it literally makes it seem as if the OP has never seen a Corsair case that supported a 360mm rad. The second part speaks of Enthusiasts. The 800/900D are enthusiast cases. Yes they are on the high end but I would call the 800/900D water cooling enthusiast cases as they are designed with water cooling in mind.

To be fair I should have picked the 750D because it is the same price as the 570x but I forgot about it however the point being is that I literally just pointed out that the 570x is not the first case Corsair has had that supports 360mm rads. That is it. No comparison to any of the review cases just a simple plain fact.

I am seriously done.

I don't see why not TBH.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I just got one of these and yes, the temps go way down with an exhaust in place. In my case it's an H80i with two Noctuas venting out the back...Also running two slower 120mm low RPM fans up top in quiet mode has let me keep positive pressure and further reduced temps. It looks unbelievable! I've noticed reviewers also don't tally up the prices of the RGB 120's...It's like 90 bucks worth of fans you're getting already just in front. My only real gripe is no fan speed controller, but I use an aftermarket app to control that, so no big deal. I'm really happy with it so far. It's far and away the best looking case I've ever had, and quieter to boot. PC Part Picker has an archived stream on twitch with their build of it, and I just followed along in real time pausing as I went for a time cheat in setup. https://www.twitch.tv/pcpartpicker/v/106126548

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thanks John.

Ray_58

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Honestly, I would like to see reviews of the chassis fully loaded with fans, as I doubt anyone would only use 3 intakes, personally this would make one of the best positive air pressure cases out there as it actually has a filter in the top built in. and more than enough ventilation area out the back, 2-3 top intake with the AIO or Rad then 3 blowing out through the case from the front, 1 in the back exhaust by doing this you could easily keep the dust out of the case and still allow for a lower RPM level

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Right. but you can't really blame the reviewers as they test what they're sent. And even the reviewer here commented on it. But what you expect happens: The temps go way down. I guess Corsair's only alternative was to include an out fan, but that would have raised it to 200+ bucks, and it's already hella expensive...But I'm happy. I haven't had any dust issues on the interior or exterior so far, as far as higher-than-usual buildup...I'm really happy and recommend it. I'm thinking of adding NZXT's fan controller next. And trying my first full liquid setup when I upgrade my GPU to a 1080ti. I'm only using an H80i now (a tight fit) on the rear venting out with a couple of Noctua NF-12's. You're fan/rad idea sounds interesting enough to try. I might even try an intermediary with EK's predator, as that looks really interesting. But the case is definitely one of the best looking out there. I looked at a lot of them, and liked the straight lines and complete glass look. It really looks cool when sunlight hits it and goes through the case from the sides.

Ray_58

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

I think the problem is its actually misleading when testing not to fill each available spot, I mean lets face it a good 70% of included case fans get tossed anyways in favor of PWM fans or just simply better ones. I would more or less like to see a standard fan set used for all case reviews, 7 fans should do it. Then you would have also a baseline for how the case performs in IRL situations at low to high rpm ranges and have a baseline for acoustics. Its scientific testing and should follow the rules otherwise its bad lab practice.

Ray_58

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

OK first let me say yes a 5.25 is useful and fits many things and has many uses; however, did anyone just stop to think, there are plenty of cases out there with them............. so perhaps if that is what you are worried about, this isn't a product made for you. A lot of people would rather have more positive air pressure coming from the front of the mid tower case having 120.3 or 140.3, a 5.25 bay(s) impedes that availability without turning it into a super tower. Also in My experience anything that can be put into a 5.25 bay also has the alternative of either being external or mounted elsewhere.

Its not political, its stupid, that's like arguing that cases that don't have 10 3.5 HDD bays in the case are useless because a minority of the market wants to use the case as a server or media workstation, if it was for that use it would have been engineered that way.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Right. As I said I'd bought the scythe FC just before deciding to get this, now I can't use it in this rig - which is no problem...I looked at a TON of cases for bay setups for the scythe FC but went with clean looks instead, hence this case. tbh I don't use bays much anymore, but that's just me. There's still a ton of options with bays out there. I know because I just spent many hours looking at all of them. It doesn't look like bays are dying...There's just a trend in clean looks. And in a glass front, while I mean they could do it - I just thought the entire face looked better with no bay.

Memhorder

Distinguished

I've just purchased this case and very excited to see it with a custom loop. I think Ray_58 is right though. This case is in fact designed for a positive flow, hence the Filtration on 5 fans and gaps in between the glass and chassis, makes sense. I was a little boggled as to why the filter on top but I can see it now. With the top being intake it could help cool VRM's. I was going to put a thick 240 on top but I'm not so sure now. The front is where all the space is. I mean you could but nothing 60mm thick as I'm almost sure it won't clear the RAM unless you go low profile. The filter up top would just work against an exhaust setup as well

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
For sure it works great with a + setup as I use. I went for the non-LED SP 120's up top for continuity, and a bit less light...While the included fans have LEDs that while they aren't blindingly bright and get mitigated somewhat by the smoky glass - you can't turn them off with the included controller, which is my second gripe, but I'm gonna fix that with a controller when I get to it. They also should have tweaked corsair link to be able to do that...Maybe in the future...I HAD to replace the stock fans on the H80iV2 with the Noctuas for my sanity. They sounded like SR-71 engines during preflight, even at idle. Now it's basically a silent rig. The SP 120's are very quiet, and the Noctuas are, well, Noctuas...Quiet af. I can't wait to do my first full loop in this case. After taking way too much time to find my next case, I'm glad I got this when I did. It's sold out everywhere now. It's the best looking case out there currently, too.

Memhorder

Distinguished
I would also like to add for those griping about Cables being seen and unless I'm blind should be included in the review, is that there's a Channel with a cover to hide them. It'll still take some skill to keep them neat but it's been taken care of in the design. You can see it to the left of the lighting controller hub.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

Yeah, there's one on the back, a kinda metal deal that goes over the main channel. It was hard for me to stuff the main CPU power lines in there so I ended up getting an extender which I ran through the front to the PSU shroud, with only the smaller cabling going through the metal dealie on the back. The only cabling issue I had was with the USB 3.0 header. On my MOBO it's near the top of the 570 and I bent some pins angling it. Solved by re-bending said pins and getting a coupler with easier to angle wiring. tbh the back glass shows a lot, but the case is designed to be looked at from the MOBO side, anyway. No light shines through my ATX mobo, obviously, only near the front fans. Which is good to have ambient light getting through. The plus is that all sides are glass. On the other Crystals it looks a bit cheesy with one big panel not being glass. But these are minor things. The thing looks dyno-supreme when it's all finished with cables tucked away. I'm still doing a tad bit of management, but I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Memhorder

Distinguished

ok. Sounds good. Yeah I'm a little concerned about the PSU shroud being pressed up against the Motherboard like that too. Wish they put slots there or even a rubber grommet would have been nice but oh well, what can you do.
It was a very hard toss up between the In-Win 303 and the 570x for me. Had to have glass because the Acrylic is so easy to scratch and makes for a flimsy side panel. Always fighting to line it up when putting it back on. Actually that leads me to a question. How are the Panels when taking them off and on?

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Yeah, that WAS somewhat annoying during setup: that there wasn't a way to remove the PSU shroud...My quick-fix was to just connect all the cables outside of it then move it in and screw the PSU to the case cables already attached. It wasn't really that hard, and I could see why it was different from the other two crystal models which DO have a removable PSU shrouds...They don't want noobs f-ing up the wiring to the light. But again - it wasn't that hard, and the light on it looks really cool. It looks way better (to me) than the inwin and evga tempered glass ones. But that's only imho. I looked at tons of glass ones and this one stood apart from them all in looks. They're sold out all over, so apparently I'm not the only person who thinks that. XD

- The panels are ez besides the fact that they're glass, so you have to be careful. The screw holes have rubber grommets, and there's ledges on both sides where you can rest the glass panes while you screw them in. Thoughtful design.

I have read that the controller that is included only work with the SP120 RGB. If you want to use the HD120 RGBs you need to swap out the controller.

I guess my question is if you swap the SP120 controller out with the HD120 controller do the buttons on the case work for it as well?

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I don't know. I do know corsair is dropping some stuff at CES this week re rgb, so maybe they're going to offer a solution. But it's a basic fan controller that doesn't control RPM, only led colors/modes. They're reasonably quiet. I'd like to be able to turn them off and am looking for a solution there. I didn't know about the SP120 v the HD 120's, but I wouldn't buy a forty buck fan anyway. XD

Memhorder

Distinguished
Yeah that is kinda weird you can't turn em off. Just put a toggle switch between the power supply and controller. Not sure what you would fasten that to. You could just unplug it too, I suppose.

On the Corsair Website, scrolling down you see them feature the case with the HD120's so you'd hope the case could control them. Couldn't say for sure though. Good point.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-570x-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Nah it's the SP's "Light up your build with brilliant LED effects. Three included SP120 RGB LED fans and included LED controller keeps your components running cool." They're awesome fans that look great and run pretty quiet. And yeah, not having an off setting is a head scratcher that they'll change over time, I bet. Still a great case.

Memhorder

Distinguished

No but just scroll down and the 3rd and 4th picture has the HD120's running. You can see the LED's around the rim. The top and bottom picture have the SP120 RGB's.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-570x-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case

It does say on the page though "Easy-access 3-button controller
Allows you to cycle through lighting effects, effect speeds, and individual RGB LED colors." Again they are featured in the 460X? Which looks to have the same 3 button control externally

http://www.corsair.com/en/hd120-rgb-led-high-performance-120mm-pwm-fan

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Maybe that's a mix up. I have the SP's in mine, and it says plainly on the page that I quoted from that they're the SP's. I don't see why they'd want to put HD's IN it, because the included controller doesn't sync with their software, or link. I'd have loved that, as I use an H80i V2 and can control the H80's LEDS with it, but no. The controller is a dumb controller that only alters overall color and cycles the fans through the various effects settings, which I don't use because my case is always in my view and they're cool, but distracting for me. I only go through them to show other people.

Memhorder

Distinguished
No I believe you John. The SP's come with the case and personally I'd prefer them but if someone where to say spend the extra $$$ just to have the HD's. Can they be controlled by the case as jimmy stated. I was just pointing out that they feature the HD's in some of the pictures, so you'd think there's some kind of compatibility after swapping the internal light controls and hub. I'd be pretty pissed if I spent just as much money on the HD120's as the case, only to find out that the buttons on the case won't do anything for em'

Well I was at Frys Electronics the other day picking up memory for a system at work and when I go there I always check the cases and other stuff to see if they have anything new and they had, to my surprise, the Crystal 570x. At least one in stock. So I grabbed it and 4 of the HD120s and 2 of the ML120s (those to replace the fans for my H100i). All I had to swap out was the small control box in the upper right, the part with the buttons. The 6 port hub and the buttons on top of the case work and control the fans just fine.

I will say that actually wiring in the case is a bit harder than with my 500R, not as much room behind the tray and I will probably re-do some, eventually will buy new cables for my AX860i as the stock ones are a bit meh.

Other than that I am happy as can be with it. Looks gorgeous with the HD120s.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Nice! I sw Fry's had a one day instore sale that was thirty bucks off on it. And yeah, the cable side is narrow. I ended up leaving the cover off because I couldn't manage the 240-pin with all the others. I need to find an alternative, maybe run it straight down. But now I'm just happy it's closed. I'm gonna order two sickle masters to replace the the ones I put on top and I'll be set, too. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.