Corsair CS 650 Intermittent Fan Noise When Blowing Vertically

GASGambit

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
so i upgraded to a CS 650 a few weeks ago and only two days ago while my PC was just sitting there downloading a few games I'd bought in the Steam sale i started hearing this noise which sounded kind of like grinding but mainly a fan that is running at really high rpm.

I installed a GTX 760 two days ago so was wondering if that was the cause but after placing my ear right next to the PSU its clear that it is the cause- its also causing some vibration through the PSU case.

The strange thing is that when I tipped my case onto its side, as soon as its horizontal the noise disappears completely. My elite 430 case sits on a desk so there is plenty of room for the PSU to draw air from the bottom. Then when I put the tower vertical again the noise is gone for about 40 minutes after which it will come back.
Is the fan bearing screwed up or something?
The other thing is why does this noise happen when my PC is under little to no load, when the fan RPM should be constant? Does this mean the internal speed controller is messed up too?

If so what can I do to fix it, I dont really want to RMA it and not have my only PC for 1-2 weeks.

Im pretty experience with fixing electronics and soldering, could I swap out the fan? and if so what kind of fans are best?

My Specs:

Case- CoolerMaster Elite 430
Processor- Intel i5-3570k
GPU- MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr
Memory- 2x Corsair Vengeance 4gb
PSU- Corsair CS 650
Storage- 500gb HDD 7200 rpm
Cooling- 5 120mm fans and controller

It does sound as though the bearing is failing
Before going any further read and acknowledge this disclaimer: Neither I nor Tom's nor anyone else who was/is/will be, in existence other than yourself shall be responsible for you opening your/any PSU for repairs. (sound kinda legalese?)
Yes the fan can be replaced with a better 120mm fan - information about the fan can be found here http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-cs650m-power-supply-review/4/
You'll need to open the PSU to see what type of connector is used, most often I've found two pin and three pin fans, rarely PWM four pin (never molex). From there we can find the best "fit" (I'm guessing it's a two pin, that's a little tricky if so...)

GASGambit

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

will 550w be enough for my build? im thinking of adding a couple more hard drives and a fan controller in the near future....