Corsair CS650 Problems.

Replicah

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hello!

I am experiencing some issues with my PSU.

Little story:

When I start my computer everything runs quiet and smooth, temperatures are awesome, Gaming is great, and everything is perfect.
But then suddenly, I hear a strange noise comming out of my PC. At first I thought this noise was because the PC was under load, and it needed some more cooling to smoothen things up.
But unfortunately that was not the issue.
I listened very closely, and noticed that the annoying sound came from my Corsair CS650..
So I was like: "Oh geez.. 1 day old PSU, already dead on arrival".
Turned my computer off for the night, because I was done with it.

The next day, I turned my computer back on, and everything was fairy-tale once again. I told myself it was some dust that came into the PSU that something got stuck.
I had my PC on for 30 minutes idle, and the noise started again.
I restarted my pc and the noise was gone! And you guess.. it started 20 minutes after that all over again.
I turned my PC upside-down and the noise stopped. Turned it back again, and it started.

I was furiously setting-up a test bench, ran it for 6 hours under load with the PSU and the other components out of the case. No problems encountered at all!

So I thought: "Maybe there is too much strain on the PSU cables inside the case."
I reorganised my whole case as gentle as possible, and still the same problem.

"Maybe my dustfilter blocks all the incoming air in my PSU."
I removed the dustfilter. No effect. There is a big gap underneath my case so the PSU is always provided with fresh air.

My specs:

Bitfenix Prodigy Green
Corsair CS650 WATT 80% Gold
Kingston 2x4GB, DDR3 1600mhz
MSI Z87I Gaming AC
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.4ghz
Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 Evo
MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC
Lamptron Fan Controller FC5V2

The strange things are:

- It happens when idle
- It stops when I restart the PC
- It stops when I hit the PSU
- The sound doesn't stop on itself, unless restart.

Materials used:

~Air duster.
~Vacuum cleaner
~My fists

At the bottom of my Bitfenix Prodigy are rubber grommits to provide noise isolation.
I don't want to send it back to the fabric, because I know that they will not find anything.

Link to the audio file of the problem:
PSU Noise

Can someone please be so gentle to help me out here? I don't know what to do anymore.
I have tried everything.
Maybe there is some kind of BIOS setting, that magically solves everything?
All of the components are 30 days old now.

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetings,
Leon Muizer.

Solution
Sounds like PSU fan noise, possibly just running up to maximum RPM. Two choices:
Easiest if still under retailer or online store return policy is to return it and get another.
Second will take a little work: Call Corsair and talk to them in person (not by emai or chat) and explain the problem; good chance they will let you return it to them and they usually just send out another unit.
The fact it stop when you "hit" the PSU suggests that the fan has a problem.
Sounds like PSU fan noise, possibly just running up to maximum RPM. Two choices:
Easiest if still under retailer or online store return policy is to return it and get another.
Second will take a little work: Call Corsair and talk to them in person (not by emai or chat) and explain the problem; good chance they will let you return it to them and they usually just send out another unit.
The fact it stop when you "hit" the PSU suggests that the fan has a problem.

Solution

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
On my CX430, the fan was loud for 15 days then it stopped and was silent rest of the time but I ended up swapping it out for a XFX TS 550 (also referred to as PRO/CORE 550).

I never had any fan noise issues with my CS450M though.