[SOLVED] Corsair CV550 ATX PSU - Question about PCIe cable

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Hi,

I'm confused a little bit. I got this Corsair CV550 power supply, it says in the box "1x PCIe 8-pin (6+2)", but it still has another continuous (it branches again) PCIe 8-pin (6+2). Basically, there are 2x PCIe 8-pin (6+2) plugs.

You know how a SATA power cable looks like, the PCIe looks the same as that.

Can I use Corsair CV550's 2x 8-pin (6+2) to get an MSI RX 5600 XT Gaming MX? Or any GPU that requires 2x 8-pin?

Solution
I can't remember why I bought the CV550, I've watched a lot of PC builds and I think I must have confused the CV550 to be paired with the 5600 XT. I just re-checked Paul's Hardware's youtube video and the PSU he paired with an RTX 2060 was a Seasonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze, and a Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 (but also listed Corsair CX650W as an alternative) for a 5700 XT.

Will these PSU do for a 5600 XT?
  1. Seasonic S12III 650W 80+ Bronze
  2. Cooler Master MWE Gold 650
  3. Seasonic Focus GX 650W
The CV and CX are not the same at all.
again, all of those are good enough, especially the Focus GX, but I suggest getting an overkill psu, just because it's a good move.
The Focus GX would be a very good buy if you bought it at...
Yes you can, but I wouldn't put a 5600XT near a CV unit.

They are the lowest end current gen unit from corsair, and while they are not prone to dying (I've used many of them in lots of builds and they are just fine) they are really recommended only for very low end machines with Igpus or maybe a gpu with no PCIE connectors..

I usually recommend the CXm series for low-mid end machines (i3-i5 and 50/60 or maybe 70 series gpus)
then any of the higher tiers are fine for almost any machine (such as HXi, RMi, AXi, TXm)

Reactions: skykhan123
Yes, but I really wouldn't. The CV units are not particularly great, and are pretty noisy. Any graphics card requiring 2 eight pin connectors is going to be capable of pulling something along the lines of 375w max at full load plus the rest of the system. That's likely going to land you in a usage scenario that keeps that power supply noisy most of the time, and it probably won't last long either.

I'd try and figure a way to fit a somewhat better model into the budget. Even a CX550 or CX650 would be better than that. The price difference is fairly minimal.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.85 @ Walmart)
Total: $66.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-30 06:11 EST-0500

Reactions: skykhan123

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Yes you can, but I wouldn't put a 5600XT near a CV unit.

They are the lowest end current gen unit from corsair, and while they are not prone to dying (I've used many of them in lots of builds and they are just fine) they are really recommended only for very low end machines with Igpus or maybe a gpu with no PCIE connectors..

I usually recommend the CXm series for low-mid end machines (i3-i5 and 50/60 or maybe 70 series gpus)
then any of the higher tiers are fine for almost any machine (such as HXi, RMi, AXi, TXm)

That is unfortunate for me. Instead of a 5600 XT, will a 1660 Super do? I will try and sell this CV550 if I can and go for a CXm as you've recommended if I can find any.

EDIT: But can the CV550 handle a 5600 XT or 1660 Super for at least 3 months? I'd probably be able to up the PSU by that time. Most Corsair models are not available from where I live, and I am currently eyeing the Seasonic Focus GX 80+ Gold 650W

Last edited:

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Yes, but I really wouldn't. The CV units are not particularly great, and are pretty noisy. Any graphics card requiring 2 eight pin connectors is going to be capable of pulling something along the lines of 375w max at full load plus the rest of the system. That's likely going to land you in a usage scenario that keeps that power supply noisy most of the time, and it probably won't last long either.

I'd try and figure a way to fit a somewhat better model into the budget. Even a CX550 or CX650 would be better than that. The price difference is fairly minimal.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.85 @ Walmart)
Total: $66.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-30 06:11 EST-0500

I did try to build in PCPartPicker using CV550 and it did not show any errors. I will try and find a CX model of 550w and above. Thanks!

EDIT: But can the CV550 handle a 5600 XT or 1660 Super for at least 3 months? I'd probably be able to up the PSU by that time. Most Corsair models are not available from where I live, and I am currently eyeing the Seasonic Focus GX 80+ Gold 650W

Last edited:
That is unfortunate for me. Instead of a 5600 XT, will a 1660 Super do? I will try and sell this CV550 if I can and go for a CXm as you've recommended if I can find any.

1660 super is not as good as the 5600XT

The psu will work for 3 months, even more to be honest.
I'd change it not out of fear of it exploding or whatever, cause that won't happen, but you should still replace it because power supplies are just not worth cheaping out on.

Sometimes I'd configure people with a low end system, but a way overspecced psu, and they'd ask why, it's because if you ever want to upgrade, or just wanna have better warrenty, noise, and efficiency, you need a better psu, and a good psu does not need to be swapped often.

I did try to build in PCPartPicker using CV550 and it did not show any errors. I will try and find a CX model of 550w and above. Thanks!

IMO, buying the CV is a waste of money, but if it's the best that's available to you and you intend to buy something better in a few months, and if you DO buy something better within a few months, then you could probably live with it for a while if you had to and the 550w model would probably be fine for the 5600xt if this is not expected to be a long term CV550 proposal.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
1660 super is not as good as the 5600XT

The psu will work for 3 months, even more to be honest.
I'd change it not out of fear of it exploding or whatever, cause that won't happen, but you should still replace it because power supplies are just not worth cheaping out on.

Sometimes I'd configure people with a low end system, but a way overspecced psu, and they'd ask why, it's because if you ever want to upgrade, or just wanna have better warrenty, noise, and efficiency, you need a better psu, and a good psu does not need to be swapped often.

I can't remember why I bought the CV550, I've watched a lot of PC builds and I think I must have confused the CV550 to be paired with the 5600 XT. I just re-checked Paul's Hardware's youtube video and the PSU he paired with an RTX 2060 was a Seasonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze, and a Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 (but also listed Corsair CX650W as an alternative) for a 5700 XT.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
IMO, buying the CV is a waste of money, but if it's the best that's available to you and you intend to buy something better in a few months, and if you DO buy something better within a few months, then you could probably live with it for a while if you had to and the 550w model would probably be fine for the 5600xt if this is not expected to be a long term CV550 proposal.

I'll definitely swap out the CV550 in the future, say, a Seasonic Focus GX 650W 80+ Gold? Or Seasonic S12III 650W 80+ Bronze? Or a Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 80+ Gold?
These are around 100 USD in my area

The S12III is probably only moderately better than the CV. It's also an unknown factor as there are no actual reviews of this unit. I would advise avoiding that model especially since it seems you already HAVE the CV unit.

Same goes for the MWE Gold 650. No legitimate reviews. Considering Cooler master is known for mostly pretty crappy power supply models, I'd take a hard pass on that one too.

And as far as the Seasonic GX-650, that's a good choice as it's the updated version of the Focus Plus, and is the same platform as the Phanteks Amp 650w, seen reviewed here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phanteks-amp-series-650w-power-supply-review

again, all of those are good enough, especially the Focus GX, but I suggest getting an overkill psu, just because it's a good move.
The Focus GX would be a very good buy if you bought it at first, but if you already have a CV it would be.. a bit of a waste.

Go on the psu tier list https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/
and pick up something that looks good to you both in terms of price and placement.

Solution

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
The Focus GX would be a very good buy if you bought it at first, but if you already have a CV it would be.. a bit of a waste.

Go on the psu tier list https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/
and pick up something that looks good to you both in terms of price and placement.

Thank you very much for the thread that you linked, I will read it and maybe I can decide which PSU I will purchase to replace the CV550. Thanks for helping a noob to build a new pc.

That link is helpful, if you know what you are looking at. This might be MORE helpful, for people who, really don't know what they are looking at on that list.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015

The Corsair CV550 really can't support both the Ryzen 5 2600 and 5600 XT, my display turns off when I play AC Valhalla and the CPU LED lights up. Thanks to you guys again for suggesting higher tier PSUs, will definitely buy the higher tier Corsair PSUs

The Corsair CV550 really can't support both the Ryzen 5 2600 and 5600 XT, my display turns off when I play AC Valhalla and the CPU LED lights up. Thanks to you guys again for suggesting higher tier PSUs, will definitely buy the higher tier Corsair PSUs
The computer actually turns off?
I seriously expected it to atleast survive games, even if it would crash in say, a full load.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
The computer actually turns off?
I seriously expected it to atleast survive games, even if it would crash in say, a full load.

Not the whole pc but only the monitor, the case fans and cpu fan are still spinning, the only way I can turn it back on again is to hold down the power button to force it to shutdown. I am able to play other triple A games like Cyberpunk 2077, the problem only occurs when I launch AC Valhalla

If the problem doesn't happen for ALL demanding games, then it's a lot less likely to be PSU related. That doesn't mean you shouldn't replace it if you can, with something better, but it does mean that maybe THIS specific problem needs to be looked for elsewhere. Like maybe drivers, game patch, Windows clean install, motherboard BIOS update, etc.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
If the problem doesn't happen for ALL demanding games, then it's a lot less likely to be PSU related. That doesn't mean you shouldn't replace it if you can, with something better, but it does mean that maybe THIS specific problem needs to be looked for elsewhere. Like maybe drivers, game patch, Windows clean install, motherboard BIOS update, etc.

I've read somewhere that someone deleted the MSI Afterburner and their AC Valhalla then run smoothly after uninstalling it. Drivers, Motherboard BIOS, are updated, I've also tried to verified the game's files. I've refunded the game and maybe use the money to buy a new PSU.

I saw a Corsair RM and it is 120 USD or so.

Will update this thread (if still possible) when I get to update my PSU and be able to play AC Valhalla, maybe it will help others as well in the future.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
The RMx would be a lot better than the RM if you can source one, but the RM is a LOT better than the CV, so if that's what you can get, that's a huge improvement.

My current roadmap is to upgrade the PSU first and then get a decent aftermarket CPU cooler, probably Noctua, heard it is the best out there.

The CPU temp is currently playing around 70c and 30% - 40% usage.
The GPU temp is also around 70c and 50% - 70% usage.

Once I get these upgrades, I will install AC Valhalla again and see if I will still get the CPU fail problem, and update this thread!