[SOLVED] Corsair CV550 / CV650 PSU

Jonshocks

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
Can someone who has it pls share if the fan is really noisy at both full load and no load?
... as i can't find much info on this particular model on the net

Solution
i'm currently tiding thru whilst my fsp just broke down or rather is giving me problems of just simply shutting off the power for no particular reason

Ok. Did you find the FSP too loud? Because the CV should be as quiet as the FSP. The CV650 is completely different than the CV550, BTW. As the CV550 is group regulated and the CV650 has DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V.

iCute is complete garbage, so I certainly wouldn't expect that to be quiet. I mean.. we're talking about a company that makes an 80 PLUS Bronze PSU and then labels it as "Platinum" because "marketing" and "no accountability".
What graphics card and CPU are you running? Actually, your full hardware specs including the case cooling configuration AND the orientation (Facing up or facing down) of the power supply would be extremely helpful.

The CV is a very minimally upgraded version of the older group regulated VS units, and while those were purely garbage for any enthusiast or gaming system, I'm not sure I recall hearing of them having noisy or aggressive fan profiles. Then again, they tended to not last long so one change they MAY have made to add some life to the internals might have been a more aggressive fan profile.

Jonnyguru would know better than I, since he's in charge of that for Corsair. What say Jon? Those units have a really aggressive fan profile or a super cheap fan that is simply terribly noisy? Or both?

Jonshocks

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
What graphics card and CPU are you running? Actually, your full hardware specs including the case cooling configuration AND the orientation (Facing up or facing down) of the power supply would be extremely helpful.

The CV is a very minimally upgraded version of the older group regulated VS units, and while those were purely garbage for any enthusiast or gaming system, I'm not sure I recall hearing of them having noisy or aggressive fan profiles. Then again, they tended to not last long so one change they MAY have made to add some life to the internals might have been a more aggressive fan profile.

Jonnyguru would know better than I, since he's in charge of that for Corsair. What say Jon? Those units have a really aggressive fan profile or a super cheap fan that is simply terribly noisy? Or both?

i'm currently tiding thru whilst my fsp just broke down or rather is giving me problems of just simply shutting off the power for no particular reason randomly on my sata rail i suspect as the hdd lights just go out and system hangs. when i changed it to an 450-500w icute(dun even ask what brand is this it's too embarassing to elab further) psu currently which is tiding me thru temporarily... it's running fine so far cross fingers. can't rma the fsp at the moment cos of stock shortage at my distributor due to this pandemic.
i'm on an 3770k , 1650 ... facing down psu. 2 fans in the system . one is the back exhaust next to the cpu fan on my 212x heatsink. that's all. and of cos fans in the psu. the other sounds , decibels , audio in my system are aredy to an acceptable level. my current icute psu i can't stand tho that's why... the sound and of cos the stability.

i'm currently tiding thru whilst my fsp just broke down or rather is giving me problems of just simply shutting off the power for no particular reason

Ok. Did you find the FSP too loud? Because the CV should be as quiet as the FSP. The CV650 is completely different than the CV550, BTW. As the CV550 is group regulated and the CV650 has DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V.

iCute is complete garbage, so I certainly wouldn't expect that to be quiet. I mean.. we're talking about a company that makes an 80 PLUS Bronze PSU and then labels it as "Platinum" because "marketing" and "no accountability".

Last edited:
Solution
Really? Explain to me what "decent build quality" means then? Do you have any idea what actually constitutes "decent build quality"? Because I really doubt it.

The fact is, that unit is not even made by Seasonic. It's made by RSY, a third party contractor. And, from what I can determine, probably a MUCH worse unit than it's predecessor, the S12II. About the only thing the two platforms share is the fact that they are both sharing the S12 series label.

And, there was an S12III review around somewhere that concluded these were abysmal quality units, shameful even that Seasonic was willing to put their seal of approval on them and sell them to the general public, but I can't seem to find the review now.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Really? Explain to me what "decent build quality" means then? Do you have any idea what actually constitutes "decent build quality"? Because I really doubt it.

The fact is, that unit is not even made by Seasonic. It's made by RSY, a third party contractor. And, from what I can determine, probably a MUCH worse unit than it's predecessor, the S12II. About the only thing the two platforms share is the fact that they are both sharing the S12 series label.

And, there was an S12III review around somewhere that concluded these were abysmal quality units, shameful even that Seasonic was willing to put their seal of approval on them and sell them to the general public, but I can't seem to find the review now.

This. It's a turd. It's one of Seasonic's few turds but it is one for all the reasons Darkbreeze says.