[SOLVED] Corsair CV650W 2nd PCIe ?

Solution
Coil whine is not dangerous, so you can ignore it if you would like. Running multiple pcie cables fix coil whine since you are still drawing the same load from the same rail of the PSU.
Molex or sata to pcie adapters can be unsafe and problematic and I would never reccomend them, but even if you were to try one it would not help here.

In the end, you are running one of the cheapest models Corsair makes currently with a pretty expensive setup. I would suggest not running such a cheap PSU with a 3070.
May 7, 2021
should be ok like that. the other cable not going to provide enough power

Thanks for your reply.

I just found out this image from NVIDIA:

Plus today I talked to the NVIDIA support and they told me to go for 2 PCIe in any case, I'm quite worried about the coil whine, it goes even on Windows, sure 100% is from GPU I need to find a solution, or at least mitigate it, if you tell me it won't give enough power I will go for a new RM750.

Undervolt already done.

4veuohl1sfxjbfjt1017nvtje8.jpg

Hi all,

Can somebody tell me if I can arrange a 2nd PCIe from these spare cables I got?

https://i.ibb.co/R40mcDq/IMG-6570.jpg

I'm having some coil whine (even on idle) and fps drops, I noticed there's only one PCIe for both connectors on my 3070.

Thank you
I see molex and sata cables so answer is no, to using those with adapters for PCIe. Problem could be the PSU output choke, which was upgraded last year IIRC, so cables are not going to fix anything. Perhaps your PSU is an older version from before the upgrade. Bottom line is, you'd be better off using a higher quality PSU paired to a high end GPU like RTX 3070 and not a budget PSU like CV650. Corsair RMx series or higher would be better options IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_77B
Coil whine is not dangerous, so you can ignore it if you would like. Running multiple pcie cables fix coil whine since you are still drawing the same load from the same rail of the PSU.
Molex or sata to pcie adapters can be unsafe and problematic and I would never reccomend them, but even if you were to try one it would not help here.

In the end, you are running one of the cheapest models Corsair makes currently with a pretty expensive setup. I would suggest not running such a cheap PSU with a 3070.

Solution
May 7, 2021
Thanks all guys, I really appreciate your attention.

I will start from PSU, hoping something will change.

I will keep the post updated.

I think I’ll go for the RM750X, if you have any suggestion, you’re welcome.

so no suggestion other than downvoting?

No. Because the coil whine could be inherent to the graphics card and a PSU is not going to make you drop frames.

The suggestion from Seasonic that was posted was to address a completely different issue. The issue of voltage drop from putting too much power on a single modular connector. The CV isn't even a modular power supply.

Reactions: rgd1101 and J_77B
May 7, 2021
I thought.. since I’m going for an upgrade, I will buy something futureproof that last for many years (and many build).

I’ve ordered the Asus Rog Strix 750 for 156€ here in Europe. When I became a PC gamer couple months ago I’d never tought I was gonna open my wallet that much.

It’s almost addictive upgrading :(

This is gonna be my first PSU swap, I will ask for help almost certainly.

This will be my final setup:

Amd Ryzen 7 3700X
Asus RTX 3070 Dual OC
Asus Prime B450M-II
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 8GB X 2
Corsair RM750x
Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Corsair MP510 NVMe gen.3 480GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Tower Case EG Diamond
Lenovo G27Q-20

Only weak point MOBO, no need to change it soon though.

Hopefully with this PSU I will mitigate Coil Whine avoiding the undervolt, which has decreased my GPU performance clearly ingame.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021
There was no need, 650/750W Corsair RM, Bitfenix Formula Gold and MSI MPG A-GF all cost about 90 euro. Even among Seasonic Focus rebrands, ASUS stuff isn't usually the best pick.

I know, I could even go for the 650 Strix, but if I’m going to upgrade the GPU in 3 years, I’m all ready.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I know, I could even go for the 650 Strix, but if I’m going to upgrade the GPU in 3 years, I’m all ready.
Still, there are 750W Bitfenix Whisper M, Enermax Revolution DF, be quiet Straight Power 11 and Corsair RMx for about 110-120 euro, all of them i'd consider being better picks than any Seasonic Focus rebrands. I'd advice you to cancel the order if it's still possible.

May 7, 2021
Still, there are 750W Bitfenix Whisper M, Enermax Revolution DF, be quiet Straight Power 11 and Corsair RMx for about 110-120 euro, all of them i'd consider being better picks than any Seasonic Focus rebrands. I'd advice you to cancel the order if it's still possible.

I see a great deal on the Enermax REV DF 115€.

You tell me, should I change the order?

I don’t trust Corsair a lot, too many coil whine feedback.

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
You tell me should I change the order?
Over that 156 euro ASUS one ? Absolutely. Although i'd personally go for bqt SP11 if it's in the range of 10 euro or less.
I don’t trust Corsair a lot, too many coil whine feedback.
That's irrelevant. If you hear a coil whine from a modern LLC resonant PSU, especially the one there was put so much thought in making it silent as Corsair RMx, that means that the coil whine is there because of external factors. Either it's not actually a PSU but a GPU, i've seen multiple accounts of people erroreously thinking that it's the PSU that whines and then on a closer inspection 'oh, well, yes, it's the GPU', people are deaf i guess. Or it's a noise on your mains which PSU is filtering out producing the coil whine.

May 7, 2021
Over that 156 euro ASUS one ? Absolutely.

That's irrelevant. If you hear a coil whine from a modern LLC resonant PSU, especially the one there was put so much thought in making it silent as Corsair RMx, that means that the coil whine is there because of external factors. Either it's not actually a PSU but a GPU, i've seen multiple accounts of people erroreously thinking that it's the PSU that whines and then on a closer inspection 'oh, well, yes, it's the GPU', people are deaf i guess. Or it's a noise on your mains which PSU is filtering out producing the coil whine.

Well, thank you very much.

At this point I have to ask you:

RM750x - 136,94€
or
Enermax REV750 DF - 115,00€

Your opinion?

Consider also the user friendly aspect, like cables flexibility and stuff, I see so many good reviews on the Enermax rather than the Corsair, which I guess is much more used so pretty normal to have more bad reviews caused by a proportion factor.

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Your opinion? Consider also the user friendly aspect, like cables flexibility and stuff.
I'd add be quiet! Straight Power 11 there.
Corsair RM-x and Bitfenix Whisper M cables (they're identical) are notoriously hard to work with, depending on your case you might need to put them in under funky angles to properly hide them, in my case main 24-pin cable still protrudes out of the opening, not that it's a big deal, it still works and i'm not doing a cable rework every week or smth but still if you're nitpicky about such thing then Corsair is probably not for you.
Edit: Bitfenix Whisper M cables are different actually, they have capacitors right on the 24-pin connector hidden by a rubber kind of sheath, and the cable itself is ribbon-style should be way easier to work around than Corsair.
Both Enermax and be quiet! cables are ribbon-style, without in-cable capacitors, should be relatively easy to work with. With be quiet they even have a relatively rare configuration of only one 6+2 PCIe connector per cable, it's a good thing since if you need two 6+2 connectors for your GPU then you should use two separate cables anyway, and such there wouldn't be an odd piece of cable dandling around.
Overall i'd probably still put Corsair RMx over be quiet SP11 if cables are not an issue tho, so :
Corsair RMx > be quiet! Straight Power 11 > Enermax Revoltion DF > Bitfenix Whisper M.
That's considering they have the same price, if any of them is like 10 euro cheaper i'd go with that.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021
I'd add be quiet! Straight Power 11 there.
Corsair RM-x and Bitfenix Whisper M cables (they're identical) are notoriously hard to work with, depending on your case you might need to put them in under funky angles to properly hide them, in my case main 24-pin cable still protrudes out of the opening, not that it's a big deal, it still works and i'm not doing a cable rework every week or smth but still if you're nitpicky about such thing then Corsair is probably not for you.
Both Enermax and be quiet! cables are ribbon-style, without in-cable capacitors, should be relatively easy to work with. With be quiet they even have a relatively rare configuration of only one 6+2 PCIe connector per cable, it's a good thing since if you need two 6+2 connectors for your GPU then you should use two separate cables anyway, and such there wouldn't be an odd piece of cable dandling around.
Overall i'd probably still put Corsair RMx over be quiet SP11 if cables are not an issue tho, so :
Corsair RMx > be quiet! Straight Power 11 > Enermax Revoltion DF > Bitfenix Whisper M.
That's considering they have the same price, if any of them is like 10 euro cheaper i'd go with that.

Sounds like my first choice was the best choice, I'll go for the Corsair then, which is cheaper than the SP11.

I already have the CV650 so cable management shouldn't be too much headache, I will just follow the current setup only adding the second PCIe to the GPU.

Thank you very much Juular, you saved me from a wrong and expensive purchase ;)

(found it bargain for 128.00€ btw LINK, so happy)

Last edited:
May 7, 2021
Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX