_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Just installed my Corsair cx psu and Ive noticed There's an aggregious coil whine, I'm just wondering if it's worth returning as in hindsight I maybe should've got a more energy efficient and higher quality PSU :/ in these times where energy prices are so high (I'm in the UK) do you think I should've got a gold or platinum? Also don't plan on upgrading for a long time apart from maybe adding another nvme drive.

Specs:
Intel i5 13600k
Asus tuf b760m
Corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz
RTX 3060 12g
Nvme 1tb

Solution
Hey there,

IMO, yes you should go for something stronger. A Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/TXM are all solid Gold units made with quality parts. They come with a 7-10 year warranty.

The coilwhine typically comes from one of the PSU/Mobo/GPU. If the CX is new, then RMA it and get the TXM.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Hey there,

IMO, yes you should go for something stronger. A Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/TXM are all solid Gold units made with quality parts. They come with a 7-10 year warranty.

The coilwhine typically comes from one of the PSU/Mobo/GPU. If the CX is new, then RMA it and get the TXM.
thanks for the reply dude, really informative so do you think maybe 750w just to be sure? i've had a look at those and they look excellent although i've spotted a seemingly great deal but its a thermaltake toughpower gold psu, it has a 10 year warranty too, what do you make of their psu's? I'll get that returned now before amazon go on strike over here

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
thanks for the reply dude, really informative so do you think maybe 750w just to be sure? i've had a look at those and they look excellent although i've spotted a seemingly great deal but its a thermaltake toughpower gold psu, it has a 10 year warranty too, what do you make of their psu's? I'll get that returned now before amazon go on strike over here

No probs, you're most welcome.

750w isn't a bad idea specially if the prices are close. Give some room to grow your system with more power hungry parts down the line.

The Thermaltake Toughpower Gold is another very decent PSU. Personally, as per my sig (I like Corsair). But it's a good one nonetheless.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
No probs, you're most welcome.

750w isn't a bad idea specially if the prices are close. Give some room to grow your system with more power hungry parts down the line.

The Thermaltake Toughpower Gold is another very decent PSU. Personally, as per my sig (I like Corsair). But it's a good one nonetheless.
Yeah that's what I was thinking never know what the future might bring lol but that's understandable that's why I chose Corsair to begin with but i did limit my budget too much on that PSU which was silly. Anyway went with the thermaltake 850w because the 750w didn't have an 8pin plus 4 pin CPU cable and I think this one includes it and it was only £10 more so all round good deal.

Thanks again man

Yeah that's what I was thinking never know what the future might bring lol but that's understandable that's why I chose Corsair to begin with but i did limit my budget too much on that PSU which was silly. Anyway went with the thermaltake 850w because the 750w didn't have an 8pin plus 4 pin CPU cable and I think this one includes it and it was only £10 more so all round good deal.

Thanks again man

Yep, good choice. Happy gaming :)

If you have any other issues get back to us.

Reactions: _Dude_of_Rock_

TRENDING THREADS