Corsair CX430 extremely loud?

BeanMedley

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
I just got done putting together a computer today. I have an M5A78L-M LX plus motherboard, two 4gb sticks of hyperx blue ram, a radeon hd 7750, an AMD FX6300 cpu, a corsair CX430 and a Rosewill FBM-01 case. Once I got all the drivers installed I tried booting up Dota2, and suddenly the psu got so loud i could hear it going from a completely different room. (it's only semi quiet when idling) I don't know if it's just a bad power supply or if this specific one has something wrong with it, but I don't think it should be this loud on day one. Any suggestions?

Sorry - but I don't believe that entire CX series are "very poor".

Check out the JohnnyGuru review of that unit (assuming you have the V2 version?): http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=239
Or Hardware Secrets: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX430-V2-Power-Supply-Review/1284/10

Both describe that as an excellent unit for the price.

When you say loud do you mean fan noise? You could try an RMA, Corsair have a pretty good RMA process. I've used that PSUs before and they shouldn't be that loud.

BeanMedley

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Actually, since posting my original question I opened the computer and I think the noise is actually coming from the cpu fan. It's just the stock one, so I'll probably just buy a better one and hopefully it will be quieter

I'd triple check the mounting on that CPU fan. It might be louder than an aftermarket, but it shouldn't be as loud as you describe. The fan, however, will ramp up significantly if the CPU temperature goes up (which is exactly what will happen if the fan isn't mounted properly).
That CPU should overclock pretty well if that's something you're interested in doing. In that case, you'll need another cooler anyway.

You could also install HWMonitor to check your CPU temps.

BeanMedley

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

The temp of the cpu doesn't even go above fifty according to HWMonitor, but the fan still wants to go up to 5000+ rpm while in-game. I'll probably just buy a new fan next time I get payed and live with the noise until then. Will also make sure the fan I have now is mounted properly.