Corsair CX600 Started buzzing/whining noise today.

Onomatik

Reputable
May 3, 2016
Hi,

I upgraded my CPU yesterday, AMD FX-4300 > FX-8320. My case has been open, sitting diagonal on the desk for the last 24 hours. A few hours ago I started to hear the infamous buzzing noise from the PSU. I see from searching that this is common in the CX range.

It sounds like an electronic morse code buzzing. It comes and goes, but it has been doing it for a couple of hours in this instance. It is very annoying. Something like the noise an HDD makes when it is active and seeking.

Do you think that this means CERTAIN! IMMINENT! failure of the PSU or has anybody had their PSU running for a long time with the noise ? I understand that it manifests in certain other Corsair PSU's too. Cash is tight at the moment after spending money on the CPU upgrade. So no money to change the unit right now.

The PSU was new 16 months ago, and it could have been making the noise for a long time with the case on, with me not hearing it in the background.

Could anyone recommend a new PSU to replace this one ? 600-850 Watts. Around £60-£90-ish. I don't need a spectacular PSU, no overclocking, Just something better than the Corsair CX600. If I had known of the CX's bad reputation when I was upgrading originally, I wouldn't have bought one.

Thanks,

Onomatik

System specs:

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MOTHERBOARD
CORSAIR CX600W PSU
AMD FX-8320 CPU. ARCTIC FREEZER 7 PRO 2.0 HSF
EVGA Nvidia 750GTX GPU
16GB CORSAIR VENGANCE LOW PROFILE RAM DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600Mhz (CML8GX3M2A1600C9) (4x4GB)
CREATIVE LABS SOUNDBLASTER Z SOUNDCARD
X1 SANDISK 240GB SSD (WINDOWS BOOT C: 1 SINGLE PARTITION NTFS BASIC).
X1 SANDISK 120GB SSD SATA 3 SDSSDA 120GB (WINDOWS PAGE FILE, BROWSER CACHES)
X1 SEAGATE 1TB HDD SATA3 ST1000VX 000-1ES162.
X1 SEAGATE 1TB HDD SATA2 ST310005 28AS
AKASA INFINITI CASE

Solution
It's very easy to overload a budget PSU with a high-current CPU, what money you save buying an AMD CPU, you need to spend on a higher-quality PSU. :p

Almost all of my power supplies i've owned have some form of buzzing or "coil whine-esque" noise when under load.

I'd probably get something like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-True-Power-Plus-Supply/dp/B00HGB8X3W

If it's a loud buzzing when not under load I would get a new one ASAP.
If it's a quiet buzzing just when under load I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
It's very easy to overload a budget PSU with a high-current CPU, what money you save buying an AMD CPU, you need to spend on a higher-quality PSU. :p

Almost all of my power supplies i've owned have some form of buzzing or "coil whine-esque" noise when under load.

I'd probably get something like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-True-Power-Plus-Supply/dp/B00HGB8X3W

If it's a loud buzzing when not under load I would get a new one ASAP.
If it's a quiet buzzing just when under load I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Solution

Onomatik

Reputable
May 3, 2016
It's more like a quiet buzzing under different loads 8%, 20%, 60%. It comes and goes. At the moment it has been here for a couple of hours or so, since it first started manifesting. I suspect I wouldn't hear it with the case on and in it's normal place on the desk.

So I don't know what to think now, I just hope it holds together for a month, heh :). Thanks for the link. When I upgraded last year I was swithering between an Antec, an EVGA, or A Corsair PSU. I heard that Corsair were OK, but I didn't know that the CX range were not so well regarded.

I have a spare FSP Blue Storm II 500W PSU. I wonder if that would be enough to run the hardware I have ?

Cheers,

Onomatik

Enter your parts exactly into PcPartPicker.com and it will give you a wattage display that is equal to the most wattage your computer uses. For example my computer uses a maximum of 318W so I knew the Seasonic S12ii 520W would offer sufficient power for my needs.

By doing this you will be able to tell if your 500W FSP Blue Storm II is powerful enough for the time being.