Question Corsair CX650 vs Seasonic Core GM-650

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I was looking at a 650 W PSU for a while... (I did not buy the RM650x earlier and am looking at lower price ones. I figured RMx is too much of luxury for my teenager's fortnite PC. )
If we assume the price is the same, which model is better?
My research found that both the models are DC-DC with LLC resonance, both models claim to be using some sort of Japanese capacitors, but the Seasonic has advantages (1) 7 yr warranty (2) 80+ gold (3) semi modular..
So if there is no price difference, it is a no brainer right?
Is there any reason I should still consider CX-650?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
No other options ? While technically, Seasonic Core might be a bit better choice than Corsair CX, it was out for a while now and there are still zero proper reviews on it because Seasonic doesn't send out review samples for it, and i can't help but wonder why. Do they think this product would sell anyway just because it has Seasonic on the label ? Or do they have some problems with it they don't want to become public ? Because if the product is good, why not show that by publishing reviews on it ?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
No other options ? While technically, Seasonic Core might be a bit better choice than Corsair CX, it was out for a while now and there are still zero proper reviews on it because Seasonic doesn't send out review samples for it, and i can't help but wonder why. Do they think this product would sell anyway just because it has Seasonic on the label ? Or do they have some problems with it they don't want to become public ? Because if the product is good, why not show that by publishing reviews on it ?
interesting.. I am wondering, what prevents reviewers from sampling a PSU of their choice directly from the market and review independently? Isn't that the way it should be?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
interesting.. I am wondering, what prevents reviewers from sampling a PSU of their choice directly from the market and review independently? Isn't that the way it should be?
No money to buy stuff barely anyone is interested in reviews of in the first place so you can't even cover it with advertisement revenue ? It's not how it works. You can't expect reviewers to buy stuff themselves all the time. It's a common practice to send out review samples for your products even before release date so you can talk with reviewers and potentially level out some issues they found, or just give them enough time to do a proper review so it would be done by release. In this case - nothing, just as EVGA, Seasonic only sends out review samples for their top-end products to hype up their reputation, and then people who look at their budget offering would make assumptions about it's quality only based on the reputation of the brand as a whole, which is wrong.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
No money to buy stuff barely anyone is interested in reviews of in the first place so you can't even cover it with advertisement revenue ? It's not how it works. You can't expect reviewers to buy stuff themselves all the time. It's a common practice to send out review samples for your products even before release date so you can talk with reviewers and potentially level out some issues they found, or just give them enough time to do a proper review so it would be done by release. In this case - nothing, just as EVGA, Seasonic only sends out review samples for their top-end products to hype up their reputation, and then people who look at their budget offering would make assumptions about it's quality only based on the reputation of the brand as a whole, which is wrong.
Reviews like that, how do we know manufacturers are not cherry-picking the samples?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the price were the same, I might lean toward the Seasonic because of the longer warranty.

That said, given NewEgg's rebates and sales going on, after Mail In Rebate, it seems the Corsair is a bit cheaper. Though, if the price history check on PCPartPicker is any guide, not by much (Corsair $36.98 after shipping and after mail in rebate, vs $39.99 for the Seasonic one before they ran out).

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
If the price were the same, I might lean toward the Seasonic because of the longer warranty.

That said, given NewEgg's rebates and sales going on, after Mail In Rebate, it seems the Corsair is a bit cheaper. Though, if the price history check on PCPartPicker is any guide, not by much (Corsair $36.98 after shipping and after mail in rebate, vs $39.99 for the Seasonic one before they ran out).
holy cow... that went fast

TRENDING THREADS