Corsair CX650M PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Corsair's CX series consists of both non-modular and semi-modular units. It was recently upgraded with new members and improved versions of older ones. The CX650M is the third strongest member of the line, featuring 650W capacity and a 40°C rating.

Corsair CX650M PSU Review : Read more

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
I have several CM and CX-M units, which I plan to fully evaluate. So far I figured that there are differences (something natural of course) in their performance.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
good to see them making a strong performer in a moderate price range. if they drop some massive rebates over the holidays like they do most years, this will be a super buy. i'm keeping my eye out to stock up on some. looks like a very solid buy.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the modularity is nice if you have a mini itx case, i have a cx500 and some of the unused cables are a bit inconvenient so that cx650m should be nice for those with not that small mini itx cases that can fit normal size psus

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Corsair spend $3 more and get all Jap capacitors and you'll have a good PSU.
Oh you have-It's called the Vengeance series.(RECOMMENDED)

HERETIC you are severely misled. Do you realize there are Chinese capacitors of higher quality than Japanese? Do you realize how much ripple a capacitors handles and the environment the capacitors is in also affects it's lifespan a lot?

Look at the thermal shots. The PSU is significantly cooler than was expected. That is fantastic for capacitor life. If you want to persist at judging power supplies based on capacitors country (and BTW a lot of Jap caps are outsourced to China) then you will be misled.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
So turkey are you saying Corsair's marketing "105C JAPANESE CAPACITORS"
on their vengeance series is not necessary?
I am more than happy to pay a little more when I see-
"All electrolytic caps come from Nippon Chemi-Con"

The Vengeance series is a higher end unit than the CXM at a different price category for different countries. Not really fair to compare them.

What more.could you possibly want at the price this thing sells for? This is the best value period and you have to find the need to talk about Japanese caps without even knowing the spec sheets of these caps used.

"Finally, the number of provided cables and connectors is sufficient for this unit's capacity. And although it isn't fully modular, the native cables are absolutely necessary anyway."

I've never understood the logic behind a "fully" modular PSU where all cables are completely disconnected and need to be plugged in. How exactly are you not going to use a PSU in a PC without the 20+4 pin ATX and 8 pin 12v CPU power connectors going to the motherboard?

If anything, I'd want those connected directly during manufacturing to ensure nothing is lost (output or resistance) through a transfer connector port to the two most crucial power connectors.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED

the idea is that if you want a longer, half meter or a shorter, 15 centimeters long cable, you can change the one that came with the psu and put the one you need

this is what most pc builders need this days, especially with mini itx cases where space is extremely limited

So If I buy power supply "A" for my mITX build and its fully modular but the cables are to long, where do I go to get shorter cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.