Question Corsair CX650M whining noise

ActualPizza

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
I powered my pc on today and got into the Witcher 3 to notice that what I think is my power supply is emanating a whining noise. This is a new issue I previously didn’t have. During regular use outside games the PSU makes no noise, and it also makes no noise in loading screens, but during gameplay and in menus it makes a high pitched noise. Should I RMA the PSU or is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks.

During those periods where there is noise is when there is a load on the system so the PSU is working harder than in windows or loading screens. The noise is most likely coil whine, a common occurrence on PCs. It is not particularly harmful but can be annoying.

That said your have a Corsair CX650. Depending on which CX650 you have, different revisions and models etc, it could be one with components that are not as good and have this issue.

The best solution would be to buy a new, higher quality PSU but again its not harmful.

I powered my pc on today and got into the Witcher 3 to notice that what I think is my power supply is emanating a whining noise. This is a new issue I previously didn’t have. During regular use outside games the PSU makes no noise, and it also makes no noise in loading screens, but during gameplay and in menus it makes a high pitched noise. Should I RMA the PSU or is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks.

Please list your system specs. Most specifically, what graphics card you're using.

The best solution would be to buy a new, higher quality PSU but again its not harmful.

While I do appreciate everyone recommending better quality power supplies, I have to wonder why all of the sudden there's been FOUR POSTS today where people are telling other people that "coil whine" is indicative of poor quality. Was there a video that came out that stated this and now everyone is parroting it as fact?

Please list your system specs. Most specifically, what graphics card you're using.

While I do appreciate everyone recommending better quality power supplies, I have to wonder why all of the sudden there's been FOUR POSTS today where people are telling other people that "coil whine" is indicative of poor quality. Was there a video that came out that stated this and now everyone is parroting it as fact?

I have no issue with the CX650. There were, however, some runs that were not as good as the current runs. I am not trying to state his is poor quality but that depending on which line of the CX series he got the components might not be as good as some have better parts than other lines.

I personally run only Corsairs at home (VS550 in the fiances, SF450 in the HTCP and my personal is a AX860i) and when I did repair and builds for a shop I suggested the CX series to replace the crappy OEM ones that would die in Dells/HPs etc and would use CX PSUs for most budget regular use builds. Gaming I always went to a higher line.

ActualPizza

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019

My specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
B450 ROG STRIX
RTX 2060 super

The PSU is practically new, but I’m just outside of the support window and Corsair support is really poor, so I’d rather not deal with them, especially if their just gonna give me another PSU that’ll break.

Right.. but coil whine does not equate to poor quality; which is what was implied.

Not what I meant to imply. Just that the one he got may be from a line that didn't use as high quality components. I am in no way meaning to imply that it is poor quality. Again I have no issue with the CX series just stating that not all lines of CXs are made equal, which they are not.

My specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
B450 ROG STRIX
RTX 2060 super

The PSU is practically new, but I’m just outside of the support window and Corsair support is really poor, so I’d rather not deal with them, especially if their just gonna give me another PSU that’ll break.

I wouldn't say their support is bad. I had a single LED on my case out, contacted them and they sent me the entire power switch assembly to replace just a single LED free of charge and didn't want the old one back.

Reactions: jonnyguru

The PSU is not "broken".

And why do you think Corsair's service is poor if you haven't even contacted them about this PSU?

As for the RTX 2060 Super: It's a pretty capable card. On par with 1080. I haven't used one and cant say how a double forward based PSU like the CX-M would react to it. If you want to be CERTAIN there is no noise from the transformer, you should get an LLC resonant based PSU (which doesn't mean some other magnetic component in the PSU won't make noise).

I mean... you spent $400 on a graphics card. Why did you go cheap on the PSU?

Last edited:

ActualPizza

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
The PSU is not "broken".

And why do you think Corsair's service is poor if you haven't even contacted them about this PSU?

As for the RTX 2060 Super: It's a pretty capable card. On par with 1080. I haven't used one and cant say how a double forward based PSU like the CX-M would react to it. If you want to be CERTAIN there is no noise from the transformer, you should get an LLC resonant based PSU (which doesn't mean some other magnetic component in the PSU won't make noise).

The PSU is not "broken".

I did contact Corsair, and considering that other people on here are complimentary of their customer support then I must have gotten a bad egg, I don’t know. Anyways, they told me there wasn’t anything they could do since I’m outside the thirty day warranty window. Also, I’d rather buy a higher quality PSU than get the same one again. In hindsight I shouldn’t have cheaped out on the PSU and gotten something better.

Anyways, they told me there wasn’t anything they could do since I’m outside the thirty day warranty window.

I'm pretty sure Corsair didn't tell you quite that very thing since the warranty is actually 5 years. AFAIK, there is no "30 day Corsair warranty".

What a "5 year warranty" means is within 5 years from your purchase date, you send your PSU back and you get a new one.

Who did you actually call and what did you actually ask for? What country are you in and who did you actually buy the PSU from?

Unless you bought the PSU from Corsair, they can't give you a refund or exchange for different product. You can only exchange for the same. The store you bought it from can give you a refund, exchange for different product or exchange, but it depends on where you live (due to consumer laws) and who you bought it from (the leniency of their policies).

Last edited: