[SOLVED] Corsair D4000 Airflow - AIO positioning

HEIKU77

Commendable
Jun 9, 2020
Hi,

I just bought a Corsair 4000D Airflow since I was not comfortable with noise level (no side panel) and the GPU temps, 75C+ without side panel, in my old NZXT H510.

My plan was to have 3 intake fans in the front and my AIO (NZXT z63 280mm) on top plus 1 rear fan as exhaust. When trying to install the AIO on the top, I unfortunately realized that my ram is too high though and that I would require a 240mm AIO. Clear oversight/lack of research on my part so I ended up installing the AIO in the front and 2 fans on top and 1 on the rear as exhaust for now. GPU temps are around 35C when idle and 70-72C when gaming. This is with side panel on and the whole system is already a lot more quite. Not inaudible but the wife doesn't complain anymore so all good! Max gpu temps I have seen were 78C when running 20 minute Time Spy & Heaven loops.

Being a bit stubborn and thinking that GPU temps could be a bit lower, I am still thinking about installing an AIO on top but I lack the knowledge to know it would actually make sense though.

Question 1: Are the current temps while gaming considered high for this GPU and could they damage the GPU if sustained over time in gaming sessions? I can see minor GPU throttling as it heats up but would be ok with that as it's not effecting my experience and only shows up in benchmarks/stress tests.

Question 2: Would moving the AIO to the top show a significant enough decrease in GPU temps while not effecting CPU too much to justify buying a new 240mm AIO?
My CPU temps are currently not really an issue (40s to low 50s Celsius and max 65C when running Time Spy loop). I read that the CPU is ok to run under 'warmer' conditions and that cooler air would/could benefit the GPU...

components summary:
Case: Corsair 4000D
Case fans: 3x Noctua Chromax NF-A12x15 on top (2) and rear (1)
AIO: NZXT Z63 280mm (front/pull with 2 Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM)

CPU: 10700k overclocked @5.1 on all cores
MOBO: Strix z590 e-gaming
GPU: Strix 3080 OC 12gb (OC mode with 106% power draw)
RAM: g.skill trident z (would need lpx to get clearance)
PSU: ROG Thor 850W

Thanks in advance for some advise - maybe someone has experience with the same case and can share their temps/fan setup with me.

Solution
GPU temps are fine now. Max temp for 3080 cards is 93c, you below that now.

The temp difference between putting rad at front or at top for the GPU is minimal. GPU doesn't care where radiator is.
The temp difference between putting rad at front or top for the CPU is 10c

Putting an AIO over the 3080 OC and letting all the heat from a GPU go into the cooling unit for the CPU is going to effect the CPU a lot more than GPU

I have same layout in my PC, AIO on front, 2 exhaust fans in roof, one in rear. Not Noctua fans but that will change.

Just leave AIO on front where you put it. The heat coming out of the radiator isn't that much warmer than ambient.

Colif

Win 11 Master
GPU temps are fine now. Max temp for 3080 cards is 93c, you below that now.

The temp difference between putting rad at front or at top for the GPU is minimal. GPU doesn't care where radiator is.
The temp difference between putting rad at front or top for the CPU is 10c

Putting an AIO over the 3080 OC and letting all the heat from a GPU go into the cooling unit for the CPU is going to effect the CPU a lot more than GPU

I have same layout in my PC, AIO on front, 2 exhaust fans in roof, one in rear. Not Noctua fans but that will change.

Just leave AIO on front where you put it. The heat coming out of the radiator isn't that much warmer than ambient.

Last edited:
Solution

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
I was curious as well, I currently have a top mounted rad, if I switched it to front mounted, I forgot the rule of thumb, the pipes are supposed to be positioned at the top, but is the pump supposed to be above or below the inflow/outflow of the rad?