Corsair DDR2 Dominator replacement

kxracer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
hi guys!

I had to send back 2 gig(2x1) Corsair dominator 1066mhz for replacement/repair. I was then sent an email after they received the ram stating that this ram is discontinued and longer available for direct replacement. They are offering to replace this ram with 4 gig(2x2) 800mhz ram.
This model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

I don't understand why they can't just build another dominator set or repair mine? Has anyone experienced this before? What happens if I refuse the offer, will they make me another offer or tell me they can't do anything else?

Is getting 4 gig 800mhz vs 2 gig 1066mhz a good tradeoff? I am running 32 bit Win XP. Where does large amounts of ram show its strength, and where does faster memory show its strength?

I do have an unused copy of Vista Ultimate 64 bit lying around, would it be worth the pain to go with vista(by pain I mean Vista being evil) if I decide to accept the 4 gig offer?

Solution

Right now vista would probably offer a better experience than XP. Vista definitely had its problems, but most of those have been worked out through service packs.

I think it would depend on what CPU you're currently running. I have an AM2+ setup, and I have seen a difference with DDR2 1066 vs 800Mhz. So the question is, would it be better to accept the offer of the 800Mhz ram and 4 gigs vs 2 gigs and 1066Mhz (if it was even available.)?

The XMS2 will not be able to overclock like a set of dominators, at least not from what I have read. However if you applied a little voltage I think DDR2 1066 may be within reach. Regardless, I think I would take the 4 gigs over 2 gigs. Considering the components, you may be in the market for an upgrade in the next year or so anyway.

You paid for dominators, so if they can't give you dominators they'd better be sweetening the deal somehow. Have you tried asking for 1066Mhz ram?

If the ram has failed, they won't bother trying to "fix" it. Most folks don't troubleshoot to the chip level, so if they find errors with the ram they'll just keep the ram sinks or whatever and toss the stick. If the component is bad, its bad in general.

Just had a motherboard lose its networking. Everything else is working just fine, but the motherboard is a paperweight without networking. Its going in the garbage, I suppose someone might give me 50 cents for the metals.

Solution

kxracer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Hi Buzznut! Thank you for the reply.

The dominator set is just a spare set I had left over that will be running with an E6300 SL9TA chip on a P5G41-M LE board. The board is pretty junk for overclocking from what I hear. I was just going to to drop it in and run at the overclocking specs of 5-5-5-15 1066mhz. This build is just a stopgap so as you said I'll be upgrading next year or the year after.

After a little bit of googling myself I was thinking about just taking up the 4 gig(2x2) offer as there's not a noticeable difference except in benchmarks?
I guess what I would like to know before I make a decision is if 4 gig(2x2) XMS2 DHX set will give me equal or close to the same value as the 2 gig(2x1) dominator set.

Yes, I think so. Twice the memory? sign me up!