Question Corsair DDR5 errors in memtest86, and other issues ?

Feb 9, 2023
Hi everyone.
A friend and I have recently assembled a pc with:
  • Asus X670E-A WiFi motherboard
  • amd ryzen 7700X
  • MSI 4090
  • PSU 1000w holg nzxt
  • 32gb ram ddr5 6000 Corsair Dominator (CMT32GX5M2D6000C36) CMT32GX5M2D6000Z36.
I have received some windows BSODs related to power kernel bugs and sudden restarts, with the PC at rest or while copying data to external disks or flash drives via USB. The motherboard is updated to the latest bios and the drivers as well. Yesterday, also looking in the device management panel, I noticed the lack of Amd PCI drivers.
I thought everything was fine but also doing a test of the ram with Memtest86 with expo disabled (ra. Tock 4800mhz and left all the Auto in the bios) 6 errors appeared.
5 errors in test 8
1 error in test 7

Also I don't understand... from bios it sees the ram as CL36 but then from CPUZ and from memtest86 it sees them as CL40 ?
Right now I don't know what to do other than try one ram bank at a time tonight to figure out what's going on. I'm not even sure if it's the ram or the motherboard or the cpu...
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Screenshot-84.png

Screenshot-86.png

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023
I state that I'm an idiot ... I wrote wrong in the text I'm really going crazy like a drunk monkey trying to understand the compatibility with these rams ... mine are already the
CMT32GX5M2D6000Z36... pardon!

Ha... I didn't know you had to disable it, I disabled the expo leaving everything on automatic in the bios. However I have seen now that at the moment the ram is not listed in asus QVL compatible memory list but it is EXPO and AMD AM5 certified and compatible with 7000 cpu. All other rams apart from one module, in the asus QVL list are intel XMP and they make no sense to me. Is asus QVL compatibility absolute, or did corsai release new modules and asus still need to update bio/qvl list? It seems absurd to me because this ram model doesn't even appear in MSI...

Last edited:
mainboard QVL wont get updated, it was made prior to mainboard release with sticks that they had on hand, just to confirm if mainboard is capable of reaching some high clocks

i can see just test7 and test8 fail, which means link from cpu to ram (mainboard traces) should be stable, this can be corrected with manualy changing sub timings

do you have any experience with that?

anyway rnable EXPO profile and reduce ram clock to 4800, see if memtest will pass

Feb 9, 2023
Little or no experience unfortunately... pc building simulator... :LOL:

Anyway...
I state that before carrying out the test in which it gave me the error I had not mistakenly considered resetting the CMOS after updating the bios and installing a lot of drivers in windows.

Now...
I cleared the CMOS and tested a bank of ram: OK.

I did NOT do CMOS. Installed second bank of ram (alone always in the second slot): the pc did not start up remaining black screen with fixed yellow led. I disconnected the PC from the power for about 2 hours, turned it back on and started the test: OK

This morning before going to work I reset the CMOS, installed the other ram and started the test with 32gb. At the moment in step 4/4 no errors. the first test (the one with errors) I did it without resetting the cmos after a bios update and some settings (nothing basic that concerned the ram except activating and deactivating the EXPO). If it also passes this test, is it still worth returning to amazon?

Feb 9, 2023
Corsair cmt32gx5m2d6000z36 replacement rams arrived today... and like the previous ones they have a screw so loose that I was about to lose it in the case on the video card! 2 out of 2 is not really nice at 265€. At this point I didn't even install them, I made the amazon return and chose the Kingston fury beast KF556C36BBEAK2-32 which by the way are present in the QVL of my motherboard. It's a pity because I've always bought corsair products including ram. I'll test them this week to see how they go and eventually isolate the problem.

TRENDING THREADS