Question Corsair Dominator vs. Vengeance. What's the difference?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Corsair 6400 DDR5 Vengeance for $204

or

Corsair 6200 DDR5 Dominator for $240

Is there a bonus/benefit for going with the Dominator for $40 more?

Will the 6200 Dominator be easily clockable to 6400 and more stabel even at 6200?

Is the 6400 Vengeance a less stable stick and may not even reach 6400?

System build will be for the ASUS Z790-e Gaming
i7 13700k CPU
RTX 3070 OC Gaming GPU
Corsair 850watt PSU

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The IC's used in the series of ram kits mentioned above are what differentiates them. The Vengeance series is more of a Gamer'esk budget series of ram kits(is flashy and appeals to that audience). The Dominators are often times made with IC's that are binned and a have stricter QC method on their assembly lines. Dominators also tend to be a little more friendly when it comes to overclocking/tightening their timings.

Both will be fine, FYI, if you're looking for run of the mill kind of workloads. Dominators are higher quality and will look more well suited in a sort of a higher end build. Sigh, I said that didn't I? As it stands none of those components are cheap.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
The IC's used in the series of ram kits mentioned above are what differentiates them. The Vengeance series is more of a Gamer'esk budget series of ram kits(is flashy and appeals to that audience). The Dominators are often times made with IC's that are binned and a have stricter QC method on their assembly lines. Dominators also tend to be a little more friendly when it comes to overclocking/tightening their timings.

Both will be fine, FYI, if you're looking for run of the mill kind of workloads. Dominators are higher quality and will look more well suited in a sort of a higher end build. Sigh, I said that didn't I? As it stands none of those components are cheap.

Thank you for your knowledge and info on this. I'm not big on overclocking my ram, but I do enable the XMP profile and I do expect to run it at the advertised speed. So in this case will the vengeance 6400 still be a bit more finicky to run its XMP profile in comparison to the Dominator? If I am honest, I almost like the lighting on the vengeance better. However the dops on the dominator do have a Starwars like feel which is also cool.

I did see the 6200 vs. the 6400 has about 2-5 fps difference. Not noticeable in a real world game with high end hardware. So now it comes down to what will be a more durable stick always running at its full XMP profile for the life of the ram?

Also, in 4 years from now, what will be easiest to still find to upgrade to 64GB grabbing up two more sticks?

So with that said, which one should I get knowing that I'm not interested in OCing the ram to its top speeds above advertised?

In other words, is it worth spending $40 more for a ever so slightly slower ram?

Is that $40 worth the dominator over the faster vengeance?

Hey there,

So, @Lutfij has explained it perfectly. It is very clear.

In terms of your question, the Vengeance will run just fine with XMP as the Dominators will. There should not be any additional tinkering around to do, to get it to work.

Can you link the two sets of DIMMs?

If both were the same CL rating then the faster Vengeance will give more performance. However, if the Vengeance were CL40, and the Dominator CL 30 or something, then they may balance each other out even with the faster speed.

Also, in 4 years from now, what will be easiest to still find to upgrade to 64GB grabbing up two more sticks?

Ideally, no. You would not want to just buy two new DIMMs and try slot them in. They would not be guaranteed to work with your existing ram. You should consider, when the time comes, buying a complete new set for the desired amount of ram, and offset the cost by selling your existing ram.

Can you provide a link to the ram kits in question?
At a given speed, kits with better timings will be more expensive.

Any ram faster than the base speed is technically overclocked ram.
Such overclock is most easily done by using the xmp capability.

As to a future upgrade, do not plan on simply adding ram.
Ram must be matched in the same kit to operate properly.

Lastly, excepting ram sensitive apps, you will be hard pressed to detect any difference in performance due to ram speed with intel processors.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Ideally, no. You would not want to just buy two new DIMMs and try slot them in. They would not be guaranteed to work with your existing ram. You should consider, when the time comes, buying a complete new set for the desired amount of ram, and offset the cost by selling your existing ram.
I am not entirely sure this is true. Twice now I have purchased what I could afford at the time, and then 6 years later grabbed up two more sticks of the same and for both PC builds I didn't have any issues. Literally just did this with the Trident G.Skull stuff for my current PC and that was maybe 4 years apart.

TRENDING THREADS