larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
so I have been goinger over the specs for Twin2X2048-6400C4 and Twin2X2048-6400C4D (dominator) I'm curious as to the difference, aside from the heatsink! I mean Twin2X2048-6400C4 is rated at 1.9v and dominator is 2.1v. So wouldent that mean that Twin2X2048-6400C4 are able to opperte at the same specs but with less signal strenght? wouldent that make them better? (i know, i know; better heat sink on the dominator, but underneath it?)
i posted this in corsair forums too, but havent gotten an answerso far.

the specs are near identical, aside from dominator using 2.1v and XMSC4 only 1.9.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
XMS chips are better, meaning the 'better quality' dominator chips aren't as good because they require more voltage?

The XMS2 cas 4 800mhz is supposed to have the chips used in the XMS2 1066mhz cas 5, albeit a lower voltage....The modules work at 1066mhz and above, well so xbit labs say... :)

I'm hopefully getting the same dominator ram you suggested, it's £5 more expensive than the XMS2 but you get better overclocking potential due to the better cooling. I'm planning to get a 120mm fan and have it blow through the ram/heatsinks, and then overclock to 4~4.5ghz or so with my E6600 :D

by chips I mean the actual memory chips/modules.

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
thank you, but i dont follow. the XMS2 (Twin2X2048-6400C4) has the same chips as the 1066Mhz at C5, this is indeed extreemly good. But what about the dominators? are the chips there "worse" then the XMS2.

hmm let me rephrase: heatsinks aside, witch is the better module? XMS2 c4 (Twin2X2048-6400C4) or Dominator c4 (Twin2X2048-6400C4D)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
it should be the dominator, they cost more but to be honest, who knows? Well, corsair know I guess... I know that both use the top of the range micron memory but does the dominator include the 'better,' more overclockable cihps inside the dominator heatsink?

I just looked on corsair's website they call the dominator ram; XMS2 Dominator, suggesting that it uses the same ram.

Under the name XMS2 DOMINATOR, this DHX technology will be showing up on both Corsair parts designed for extreme overclocking and on memory designed for performance computing and gaming.
- http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/dominator.html

The website doesn't say that the chips are hand picked or indeed better than the XMS2 line, instead corsair just says how wonderful the new heatsink design is...

Just go for the XMS2, if you have the money I'd get the dominator, they're probably the same (except the heatsinks) anyway. :)

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Aside from the heat sink you probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference at their tested 800 MHz frequency.
They were both tested to run DDR2 800 4 4 4 12 @ 2.1 v .
It’s kind of funny how Corsairs spec sheet reads like an advertisement flyer.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-6400C4D.pdf

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pdf

The advantages of the dominators heat sinks are self explanatory but at those timings listed not necessary.
You really have to push them harder to see any true comparisons and that unfortunately forces us to search elsewhere for true performance data.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/22/corsair_xms2_dominator/

I’ll stick with my SuperTalent. :wink:

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I noticed at the bottom for the dominator (Twin2X2048-6400C4D) it says EPP standard: 5-5-5-15 at 2.1
And for the "old" XMS C4 (Twin2X2048-6400C4) it says EPP standard 4-4-4-12 2T.

sailer

Splendid
I noticed at the bottom for the dominator (Twin2X2048-6400C4D) it says EPP standard: 5-5-5-15 at 2.1
And for the "old" XMS C4 (Twin2X2048-6400C4) it says EPP standard 4-4-4-12 2T.

I've used Corsair ram for years, mostly the high performance stuff, and the biggest advantage I know of with the Dominator series is that it can be overclocked better than the standard XMS series without suffering as many overheat problems. But if you aren't into living at the edge in overclocking, then I see no advantage in it. For myself, it isn't worth the money.

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
its not really the money. they cost about the same. Its the small print where it says EPP 4-4-4-12 2T at the botom of the supposedly cheaper XMS C4 model, and EPP 5-5-5-15 for the "new" supposedly better Dominater model, that gets to me. and where i start scraching my head as to witch model is the better, underneath the shinny new heatsink. i read somewhere that they are the same moduels. but there is a big differece between running 4-4-4-12 and running 5-5-5-15.

and the "old" C4 was rated to 1.9v where the "new" dominator is rated 2.1, so the old model can run as fast with less signal streght, or what? I just dont get it :oops:

sailer

Splendid
If the cost difference isn't much, then I'd probably go for the Dominator so I could get the better heatsinks. Unless I'm missing something in the fine print, both modules are testing out at the same standard of 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V, when refering to the listings that kwalker provided. In the past, I've only read that the Dominator series could be overclocked better, but maybe things have changed in the last few months. It all seems strange to me, how the company lists them with the same specs and all.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Actually if you read both of the PDFs they both say,

'tested at EPP settings (4-4-4-12) 2.1v'

I'd go for the dominator, I think I will also, just a little more saving for me... :lol:

(as I said earlier) I'm gonna get a 120mm fan and have it blow through the dominator ram's heatsinks, and then try to overclock to 4ghz with my E6600 woo-hoo!

Note that if you have a large HS/F you could have problems fitting the modules due to the increased height of the dimms. :)

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
On paper, the PC6400C4 and PC6400C4D Dominator are the same memory. However, the Dominator heat spreaders will work better. But, if you have adequate case cooling the non Dominator will work just fine.

The Dominator heat spreaders were designed based on info from a Micron study. In theory, the same ICs should have a longer life span on a Dominator PCB+spreader vs a standard XMS PCB+spreader if all else is equal.

Micron Thermal Applications Study

Also, the Dominator can handle higher voltages than the standard XMS. So, only the rated speeds are guaranteed but, a Dominator module should easily OC better than a non Dominator equivalent.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
oh thats good then.. thanks :p

you wouldn't happen to know how well these 800mhz cas 4 dominator modules overclock would you, all the reviews on the dominator modules are of the 1111mhz ram...

If the dominator 800mhz cas 4 is the same ram as the XMS2 800mhz cas 4 then that means that the modules should get to around 1066mhz cas 5 as Xbit labs says they're the same modules used in the 1066mhz cas 5 ram. You couldn't comfirm this could you? :)

TY :)

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
DO NOT go by the Xbit rating. That article is 8 months old and makes some very wrong assumptions. The PC6400C4 Dominator has been made with 2 different ICs, Micron D9 and Promos. Xbit used a Micron set but, the current revision uses Promos. Before I can comment on your modules, I need all of the info from the stickers on the modules.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
oh ok so I guess I'll have to buy the dominator ram first before you can tell me ... :lol: haha oh well at least if I find out that it isn't the same RAM then I can at bump the voltage up and see how far I can go :D

Would they reach 1ghz? (hopefully the answer is yes):lol:

Thanks,

gOdman

sailer

Splendid
oh ok so I guess I'll have to buy the dominator ram first before you can tell me ... :lol: haha oh well at least if I find out that it isn't the same RAM then I can at bump the voltage up and see how far I can go :D

Would they reach 1ghz? (hopefully the answer is yes):lol:

Thanks,

gOdman

I got my doubts if they could go that high, but you won't know until you try. Watch the heat real close and run Prime95 as standard every step to make sure you don't get a high, but unstable overclock. Did that once myself. Got a very high overclock, but 10 minutes into Prime95, it would fail.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Hopefully a 120mm fan blowing air into the top of the DIMM would provide adequate cooling at 2.4~5v? Right? That's what I'm planning to do, kind of a replacement to the dominator airflow fan.

That is if my motherboard will allow 2.5v VDIMM... (hopefully will) :)

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Hopefully a 120mm fan blowing air into the top of the DIMM would provide adequate cooling at 2.4~5v? Right? That's what I'm planning to do, kind of a replacement to the dominator airflow fan.

That is if my motherboard will allow 2.5v VDIMM... (hopefully will) :)
Yes, this will actually provide more overall airflow than the Dominator fan.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Yellowbeard, there is a chance I may get promo modules, what are these exactly? I myself would have thought that they would have been better (PROMOTIONAL) than normal modules.

Would it be fair for me to think that these 'promo' modules are micron promo modules? Or am I completely wrong in my guessing?

Obiviously they're not the best modules as the 1111mhz ram gets the highest quality ram (or whatever corsair's flagship ram is nowadays), whil/st the 800mhz cas 4 is 'incapable' of working at 1111mhz at the standard 1111mhz voltages etc..

Woo-hoo! This is my 601st post :p

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Promos is a brand of IC, just like Micron, Elpida, Winbond, etc. In this case, the Promos based memory does not OC as well as the same part using Micron ICs.

If you want 1000mhz guaranteed, you should buy memory rated at PC8000 or better.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Cor! Is this the same with all memory? Eg XMS2 series?

I would guess that the XMS2 800mhz cas 4 uses a different brand of IC than XMS2 800mhz cas 5 RAM, right?

But what I mean is that within the same product, eg the dominator, uses promo and micron.

Micron should overclock better...

wow we have completely took over this thread...sorry OP :lol:

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Actually if you read both of the PDFs they both say,

'tested at EPP settings (4-4-4-12) 2.1v'

Look under test specs. last line.

C4D "SPD programed at:" under where it says "test specs": "EPP standard: 5-5-5-15, 2.1v values"

C4 "SPD programed at:" under where it says "test specs": "EPP standard: 4-4-4-12, 2.1v values at 800Mhz"

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
ah ha ! Just read it!

Now I see what you mean, I wouldn't worry much about it to be honest, because as long as the JEDEC values are the same (and at the same voltage) they should both be on par with one another.

Furthermore if you look at it the C4D says:
Tested at EPP SPD settings (4-4-4-12) at 2.1V at
800MHz

even though it says the :
EPP standard 5-5-5-15, 2.1V values

they've tested it to work at 2.1v 4-4-4-12 EPP, and they say it works, I guess that means the dominator is on par with the XMS2, same or better :D

sailer

Splendid
I had read the same line too, so concluded that the two ram modules were basically the same, except for the better cooling on the Dominator. And better cooling is good, right?

TRENDING THREADS