Question Corsair fans

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
I am thinking to buy some fans for my new build. Some questions:

1. Do I need commander pro to control speed and colours?
  2. Do I need lightning node pro to control colours if I already have commander pro?
  3. Can I use ML fans or just LL fans?
  4. Can I find ML white fans or just LL?
  5. What is exactly the RGB hub? Do I need it?
  6. Which software do I need for this? Can I control everything via motherboard?

I have seen some articles about this issue, but a lot of them are a big confusion with their explanations.

1. Commander Pro is mainly needed if your motherboard doesn't have enough fan inputs, or if you want an all-in-one speed/color control system. It has 6 fan speed control hubs but only a couple LED hubs (usually for RGB strip lights), and hubs for included thermal sensors if you want to use them.

2. Usually if you're buying a 3-pack of fans, it will come with an RGB Hub included. This combined with the Commander Pro makes the Lighting Node Pro unnecessary. The Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro both have only 2 hubs for RGB, meant for RGB light strips. The RGB Hub will take one of those spots on the Commander Pro. The Lighting Node Pro is only needed if you intend to put in a bunch of RGB strip lights in additions to your fans.

3. Any official Corsair fan should work fine with the Corsair hubs, I use HD120's in mine. Keep in mind that LEDs in the ML (non-PRO) series are locked into whichever color you buy it as, and aren't changeable through the lighting software. You'll need the ML PRO series fans to have multi-color RGB.

4. Yes, variations of mostly white ML fans exist. Click on this link to see a list of available fans and where to buy them. Type "ML" into the search bar to filter the list to just Corsair ML fans, and adjust the filters on the left to your liking to narrow down the right option for you.

5. The RGB hub is needed if you have more than just a couple RGB fans. Most 3-packs of fans will have an RGB Hub included, however they are cheap to buy separately if needed. The RGB Hub simply acts as a power center for up to 6 RGB fans, which are recognized and controlled through the lighting software.

6. Corsair's lighting software is iCue. If your fans are connected directly to the motherboard, you could control them from BIOS, however I highly recommend using the iCue software. It syncs up the RGB and speeds of all connected fans and is pretty easy to use. There is a free version which covers most of the common settings, and a paid version for more advanced options (stuff like syncing lights to select games that are on screen to match the colors).

All hubs attach to the case using double sided tape on the back. I mention this because I couldn't find that information myself when I first put my own rig together.

Reactions: Phaaze88

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
So, let's see:
I can buy 6 separated fans and the commander pro as well. The problem is: I will need the RGB hub anyway which only comes in packs of three fans... right?