Corsair force 3 very noisy

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
hi can any body tell me if my corsair fore 3 240gb ssd should sound like a normal hdd. I thought these things had no moving parts every time i scroll down a web page it makes a noise with every roll of the mouse button my old hdd didn't do that is there something wrong with it every thing that requires loading it makes noise also i had a ocz vertex 2 3gps and it never made a sound

No, there should be no sound coming from it...

Are you absolutely positive that it is coming from the SSD? There are other parts of the computer that can make sounds when scrolling pages, but that is another issue. If you are *positive* it is the SSD, RMA it.

Some of the Corsair Force 3 SSD's were recall a while back, but noise wasn't an issue. Sometimes if using the onboard 'sound' there's interference (Read/Write) sound spilling over to the onboard sound so you can hear the (R/W) during start-up/shutdown/heavy copy. The 'fix' is to ignore it or get a discrete sound card and best one with a metal casing.

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

hmmm i think your right i just put my ear Wright against it and it is not it making the noise it sounds like its coming from somewhere on my motherboard can any one help with this it is very annoying and i cant be my on board audio i have it disabled i think

That has something to do with noisy chokes and transistors and some other technical engineering stuff that is slightly above me 0_0

Basically though.... Modern computers have the ability to adjust the voltage going to the processor on the fly, it does this so that the computer uses less electricity.

So... If the computer is idling, then it lowers the voltage so it is not using very much power, then the more you run, the faster it ramps up the CPU.

What you are hearing is the voltage changing everytime the computer has to "think" about scrolling the page.

While it is an obnoxious problem, it is not harmful. It generally happens in laptops, due to the smaller voltage regulators and chokes.

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
im using an asus rampage III extreme is there any way to turn this off in bios or sumthing an why didnt i hear these noises before do you think with the ocz

If PULLING both the Sound Header and 'Speaker' you're stilling hearing something then you need to track-down the 'whine' you're hearing. Use a paper towel tube or roll paper into a similar tube.

Listen around the CPU and PSU for starts and then the SSD.

In my case on my ASUS P6X58D-E + older Kingston SSD's I get the same or similar sounds, but only during as I stated "start-up/shutdown/heavy copy". I'm an audiophile and have sensitive ears, but I just tune it out.

IF it's loud then my first suspect is PSU coil whine. OCZ is one of the worst for this problem.

Q - What PSU?

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
hi mi psu is a corsair tx850m i am not sure were the sound is comming from. its somewhere on the lower half of the board but i have two asus gtx 570s in sli so its impossible to see any thing or get close to any thing without taking them out i have not got any audio plugged in i am using the hdmi on 570

Drop one of the 570's out, and just run with one to see if you can find the source.

Although.. usually the only thing the GPU covers would be the SB or the SATA controllers, might be one of those. Just use a single 570 until you can find it though

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
hmm i have been hearing sum strange noises lately no whining or loud fan noises though. just strange sort of hisses and stuff i also have my i7 @4.4ghz @1.45v i thought a 850w was plenty for 2 570s

If you ONLY OC your i7-9XX and not the GTX 570's you're about 100W+ too small. According to my calculations your peak is 790W {85% CPU utilization, 90% Load, 0% Capacitor Aging} ; using a minimum of 30% Capacitor Aging 930W+ is the minimum proper size. IF you also OC the GPUs then 1000W~1200W is a proper size.

IF your PSU is about a year old it has lost 10%~20% of its peak capacity, see below, or 850W * .85 (15% loss) = 723W. Simple test, run the CPU at stock and see if that either eliminates or reduces the "noise" -- then you'll have your answer. ;)

I assume the noises are during peak and/or heavy loads. If that's the case then either get a larger PSU <or> ignore the noise and hope you don't damage your components. Your choice.

Size your PSU with either of the links I provided.

I NEVER UNDER SIZE! Better too large than too small.

Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a PSU will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years. ref see #4 - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power