Corsair Force Series 3 SSDs Hit 550r/520w MB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Hmm two 120GB's for $438 or one 240GB for $499? Even if you try to justify that price due to it being a single drive with all that storage it doesn't make up the fact that superior performance can be had with RAID 0.
Or if one prefers not putting all their eggs in one basket two drives are less likely to both fail compared to a one.

G

Glad i waited so long for this technology to mature... my next build will have a couple of something like these in raid 0.

nlreynolds80

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Hmm two 120GB's for $438 or one 240GB for $499? Even if you try to justify that price due to it being a single drive with all that storage it doesn't make up the fact that superior performance can be had with RAID 0.Or if one prefers not putting all their eggs in one basket two drives are less likely to both fail compared to a one.[/citation]

On the other hand, running with two drives also means you're twice as likely to encounter drive failure. And if you're doing RAID 0 losing one drive will result in losing both.

G

So is the 120GB a lot slower than the 240GB as in the Vertex 3?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
just have two hdds in your machine for your backups and another external hdd for backup....it works....btw i have never had any issues with raid 0...i have also been using ssds without any problems

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
still not interested on this drives, $$$$ is the issue, they want SSD's to beome mainstream?

then they must drop their ridiculous prices.

when SSD's prices come down to about $1 per GB then and only then SSD's will be "found" on every PC.

[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]the 120gb drive is only slightly slower than the 240 in writes at 510MB/s... so not too bad of a proposition...[/citation]

Yeah I like this alot. Sounds like Corsair is using the same controller or something similar to Vertex 3. I'll prolly snag one in the fall.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]260511[/nom]but yet you fail to mention that failure rate of SSD due to normal usage is close to nil. and people who do run SSD's usually keep their data on a larger magnetic drive, so really, the only thing you are going to lose is the OS and couple of programs and games which can be reinstalled.[/citation]
...not to be negative but that is pure speculation.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
120gb seems like the best deal

people seem confused and want larger and larger drives. media files on SSD's are completely pointless, and run perfectly fine on HDD's. a 120gb SSD is more than enough for an OS, most or all your programs, and probably a few games too

my media files are the ones that take up the most space on my HDD... probably like 60%, and im on a 150gb raptor

G

Can anyone confirm whether RAID 0 SSD's make a lick of difference at all? I've been under the impression that controller overhead defeats any performance benefits, and that a single SSD is just as fast as 2 of them striped, or at least nearly as fast.

G

RAID 0 with 2 drives will saturate the SATA 6.0 bandwidth. 550MB/s of a single drive = 4.4Gbps. And doesn't RAID prevent TRIM from working?

thespin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
If two 120GB SSDs are used in a Raid0 config, do you get the benefit of TRIM and the other features associated with a single drive config ? Please address both software and hardware Raid0.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

H8ff0000

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Saturate[/nom]RAID 0 with 2 drives will saturate the SATA 6.0 bandwidth. 550MB/s of a single drive = 4.4Gbps. And doesn't RAID prevent TRIM from working?[/citation]
Saturate, RAID 0 will use the bandwidth available from both SATA 6 slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS