Corsair "Force" Series SSD are faulty?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
http://www.corsair.com/solid-state-drives/force-series-3/force-series-3-120gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html

I heard that the Corsair "force" series of solid state drives are faulty and are being recalled.

I am considering getting one of these solid state drives to install a few games on and perhaps my operating system to speed things up a bit.

But if these SSD's are faulty, should I even bother getting one? The one I want has SATA 3 speeds. And I believe my MSI X58 enthusiast motherboard is compatible with SATA 3 as well as USB 3.0.

It's about $214.99 at my local electronics store. Is it worth the money? Are there any other solid state drives comparable in price, speed, and capacity which are not faulty?

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
A simple Google search reveals that the Force 3 120GB model is indeed being recalled.

Corsair issued a recall notice for its Force 3 120 GB solid state drive (model: CSSD-F120GBG3-BK). Other variants of the Force 3 series are not affected.

Ya'll are a little late. This is old news that was well documented at the beginning of last month.

The factory recall only applied to the Corsair Force 3 120GB ssd. It did not apply to any other Force 3 ssd. It did not apply to any of the other Corsair series. The recall was completed in relatively short order and there are no further problems.

The two SATA III 6Gb/s solid state drives that have an established track record and are relatively free of problems are the Intel 510 and the Crucial C300. Both ssd's use a Marvell controller instead of a SandForce controller. In terms of synthetic benchmarks they are not speed demons but in real world applications they can definitely hang in there.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

How much faster is the 120GB Corsair SSD compared to my current Hitachi 7200RPM 2TB hard drive? Should I install my OS on it?

tecmo34

Administrator
It isn't even in the same ball park. Here is a comparison between my older Intel X25-M & Samsung Spinpoint F3 (gap will be bigger for a SATA III drive).

HDTune_Benchmark_INTEL_SSDSA2M080G2.png

HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD103SJ.png

The 0.1 ms Access times compared to 13 ms Access times of a hard drive will make a huge difference.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

What if I install a few games on it, should loading times be significantly faster?

How many seconds should it shave off my boot time?

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Checking in with a new corsair Force GT 120gb and good lord... this thing is ridiculously fast. It takes longer for the MSI to load the bios and config files than it does to load windows. I just see the windows 7 graphic icon that it is loading and then the desktop and I am ready to go! Even with all my crappy programs, gadgets, printer software and other items that load at startup, from the moment I hit the power button to the moment I am able to surf is around 32 seconds. Shut down is in around 6 seconds. If I went into ms config and actually trimmed things up so that windows starts even faster, no telling how many seconds I would shave off. Programs like office, visio, or other open so fast I never see the load screen. Files just OPEN like the program was already running! Makes my new laptop seem turd slow. Data transfer is also ridiculous and really maxes out my storage drives which is the bottle neck now.

It installed just like a regular hard drive, no complaints or issues, it just works! Also no bsods or other issues with my MSI 890GXM micro atx mobo. Cannot be more happy with my purchase.