Corsair GS-600 doesn't spin

ArnorBld

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I have a GS-600 PS in an i3-2120 box. The fan spins up when the system starts then stops. The system runs fine, but the problem is that the drives run really hot, 43-47°C, which is pretty close to the max 50°C operating temperature quoted for all 3 drives in the box. The system is only used as a file server, so not much load on it at all, but I'm concerned that the heat build-up in the box can cause a problem. To help with it I bought a 7" USB fan that I have blow into the side of the box and that keeps the drives under 35°C as well as the CPU and motherboard.

Any ideas on either how to make it run at lower loads or something else to help cool the drives?

Best regards,

The Corsair GS600 operates in fanless mode (i.e. 0 RPM) until the system power draw reaches 200 Watts when the fan will turn on with a fan speed of 600 RPM.

The fans spins initially for several seconds when the system is turned on so that you can see that the fan actually works. It will then continue to operate in its fanless mode until system power draw reaches 200 Watts or a specific temperature trigger point is reached (I haven't seen any reviews that determine what that temperature point is).

What is the brand and model of the case that these three HDDs are mounted in? Is there any pre-drilled vents for mounting extra case cooling fans?

ArnorBld

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Thanks for the info on the 200W cut off! It's an old HP box that I've replaced everything in. There are not predrilled holes but I can make those myself;) I have an extra 80mm fan here and I'll plug in in tomorrow so it'll blow straight at the drives and see if that doesn't do it:)

Best regards,