Question Corsair H100i Elite Capellix cpu fan error

colin29a

Honorable
Nov 17, 2014
So, I want to preface this by saying “yes I’ve looked on the forums already” and I just couldn’t quite seem to find one like mine. Most of these posts are coming from machines that have seemed to run fine for a little while and then the cooler fails.

See I have a different issue. I’m attempting to cool my Ryzen 5 1600AF with a brand new Corsair H100i Elite Capellix. As soon as it boots up I get the CPU Fan Error, despite being plugged into my CPU_Fan Header, this also leads to no rpm data in the Bios for the pump.
When it inevitably hits its warning temp threshold, the red LEDs flash, but if it’s been off for long enough the LEDs are in their normal cycle until the overheat.

Getting to the overheating, it does, and fast. It will climb to 100C in 2~3 minutes before the BIOS throttles. I have reseated the cooler on the chip twice, reapplying thermal paste each time all with a a similar result that I’m familiar with.
On to details, I have followed the instructions to a T, using included rad fans plugged into the controller, the flat pump cord also into the controller with working Sata power (working LEDs), and then the controller plugged into the Mobo USB2 header. As earlier stated the CPU_Fan header was properly used, and I even took a rad fan and wired it to CPU fan where the bios then recognized it. I also feel like it’s worth stating that I have the CPU fan curve manually set to full speed, which radiator fan understood.

Here’s the tricky part, for me at least. This is my first water cooler, first AIO etc.. I can’t tell really the difference between chassis vibration and “working pump” vibration. Furthermore, upon the majority of answers for similar questions, the consensus seemed to be a Dead cooler to be RMA’d.
So I did. I went back to Best Buy and it was super simple to just get it replaced since I was returning some ~18 hours after purchase. I am writing this post after duplicating the same issue on a second brand new product which leads me to believe I am CLEARLY doing something wrong.
If you need any more info I’d be happy to provide.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600AF
Radeon RX 5700XT
Asus Tuf B450 motherboard
EVGA B5 650w PSU

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
make sure the you have the large connector leading from pump connecting to commander core plugged the right way around ( it will slip in place either side) there's a white notch on a connector, same white notch is marked on commander module, make sure those two line up :)

colin29a

Honorable
Nov 17, 2014
make sure the you have the large connector leading from pump connecting to commander core plugged the right way around ( it will slip in place either side) there's a white notch on a connector, same white notch is marked on commander module, make sure those two line up :)
Thank you for the timely reply! I checked this and it was in fact inserted properly unfortunately. However, I have an update!
After speaking with Corsair and having to open a ticket because even the representative was stumped, I think I found the problem.
My EVGA B5 PSU comes with two modular SATA power leads, and they are like “split” I suppose where each lead has three SATA power slots. For whatever reason, I suspect power draw, the H100i refuses to work PROPERLY on a power lead that is already shared. I suspect it has a enough power for the LEDs but not quite enough to kick on the pump/fans. I was “sharing” power from the lead plugged into my boot drive. Once I plugged in another lead to the PSU and used it solely for the H100i, ¡Voila!
Temps are sitting around ~35C idle. Mission accomplished. Time to try and re-cable manage all of this and stress test.
Thanks again for the reply, and to anyone else struggling with the H100i, apparently it’s a power hog but I don’t think my issue is wide enough to require documentation, happy computing!

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Awesome to hear that.
Good luck with the knot a knot into the knot game, i was wiring that one just a few days ago, it's truck load of cables leading from that devils box called commander core, isn't it ? :ROFLMAO: