Question System is overheating with Corsair H100I Elite Capellix liquid cooler installed ?

Frozenjello_7

Reputable
Mar 6, 2020
I have a ryzen 5900x and a corsair h100I. The system has been overheating for a while, but usually very rarely. Now it is happening almost every time I play a mildly intensive game or any AAA titles for that matter. The temps reach 91C max and always run higher than 85 when playing a game. The idle when not doing anything is between the range of 65-75 but sometimes in the upper 70s. Honestly I feel like I had better luck with an air cooler. I have the radiator mounted at the front of my case with two exhaust fans at the back. This problem has gotten bad enough that now my graphics card is hitting 85C with max fan speed. It has never done that even on the most difficult game, the temps dont get that high.

With the temps being this high on the cooler, it starts blinking red and says its going into failsafe mode, but i dont see a performance drop or a temp spike, it always leaves my cpu around 91C. I have not physically checked the pump, all the fans are connected properly, and I can see the sensors in the ICUE software telling me the fan speed (which I set to max), the temp of the coolant, and the pump speed. What could be wrong? How could I figure it out, this is my first time using water cooling, but my air cooling from my last build never performed this poorly, and I only switched because I went from older intel to AMD ryzen, so I decided to ball out.

I have a ryzen 5900x and a corsair h100I. The system has been overheating for a while, but usually very rarely. Now it is happening almost every time I play a mildly intensive game or any AAA titles for that matter. The temps reach 91C max and always run higher than 85 when playing a game. The idle when not doing anything is between the range of 65-75 but sometimes in the upper 70s. Honestly I feel like I had better luck with an air cooler. I have the radiator mounted at the front of my case with two exhaust fans at the back. This problem has gotten bad enough that now my graphics card is hitting 85C with max fan speed. It has never done that even on the most difficult game, the temps dont get that high. With the temps being this high on the cooler, it starts blinking red and says its going into failsafe mode, but i dont see a performance drop or a temp spike, it always leaves my cpu around 91C. I have not physically checked the pump, all the fans are connected properly, and I can see the sensors in the ICUE software telling me the fan speed (which I set to max), the temp of the coolant, and the pump speed. What could be wrong? How could I figure it out, this is my first time using water cooling, but my air cooling from my last build never performed this poorly, and I only switched because I went from older intel to AMD ryzen, so I decided to ball out.
Don't know what you had before but 5900x is pretty hot CPU as it is. a 240 AIO may not be enough. I'm barely keeping my 5800x up to low 80s at full load using a 360 cooler. Tj Max is 90c and that testifies that it was made to run hot, if you are sure cooler is mounted and operating right you might want to put some reigns on voltages with Curve Optimizer at least.

Reactions: Unolocogringo

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Here's my experience , i uninstalled the two fans that came with my Corsair 240 aIO and now i'm using the two 200 mm that came with my chinese made case.
they keep the radiator cool even in most demanding games.