[SOLVED] Corsair H100i Platinum - Do I have to use fan and rgb connections?

david_628

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Almost done with my new build. For the H100i, I have it plugged into the CPU Fan header, sata and the USB for the pump. My question is, do I have to connect the fans to the connections coming off of the pump unit? I have the corsair commander pro and an rgb lighting node pro for all of my fans -- Shouldn't this work as one in the same?

thanks!

Solution
You REALLY should connect the rad fans of the H100i system to the fan connectors coming out of the pump unit. The iCue software controls those fans through those connectors, based on the cooling needs of the CPU chip, as sensed by a temperature sensor inside the CPU. There also is the matter of a secondary function for CPU fan control. Their speed signals are monitored for a NO signal situation, which is interpreted to be fan FAILURE and normally triggers rapid warning messages and perhaps quick actions to limit or shut down your system before the CPU can overheat. For that purpose, the correct fans (on the rad) need to be plugged into the wires designed for that - that is, the ones from the pump unit.

NOT all fans are the same...

inVested

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
I just completed a build with the H115i along with other RGB corsair case fans. The case fans and AIO pump do not cross or connect at all. The iCUE software picks up both the fans and AIO pump so that you can control them separately.

The H100i should work the same way.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You REALLY should connect the rad fans of the H100i system to the fan connectors coming out of the pump unit. The iCue software controls those fans through those connectors, based on the cooling needs of the CPU chip, as sensed by a temperature sensor inside the CPU. There also is the matter of a secondary function for CPU fan control. Their speed signals are monitored for a NO signal situation, which is interpreted to be fan FAILURE and normally triggers rapid warning messages and perhaps quick actions to limit or shut down your system before the CPU can overheat. For that purpose, the correct fans (on the rad) need to be plugged into the wires designed for that - that is, the ones from the pump unit.

NOT all fans are the same. Control of the speed of case cooling fans is based on a DIFFERENT temperature sensor built into the mobo, and the iCue software reads that sensor and uses it to control all the fans connected to the Commander Pro. Thus the CASE fans need to be plugged in there, abut NOT the CPU cooler fans (the ones on the rad).

Solution