Corsair H100i Pro Review: Understated Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
I have an h100i currently with an fx8350(I know!) and it runs hot still, if I run blender I have to disable two cores to prevent it from overheating.
So would this be an upgrade or more of the same thing ?
I plan to upgrade my system later this year and will move this with it of course.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Personally haven't tested the H100i (non-pro) but the new H100i Pro should be available now. (looks to be on Amazon and Newegg, both)

The higher speed fans make all the difference in the world, which is odd because Corsair makes mention in the product descriptions that it was intended to be 'quieter' than previous models. Adding faster fans (H150i Pro were around 1600-1800 RPM if I remember correctly).

Richard, the H100 and similar models are very particular about the installation of the backplate behind the motherboard. If it isn't oriented properly it doesn't make full contact with the die. Resulting in higher temperatures. I had the same issue while back and rotating the backplate solved my problems. It wouldn't hurt to take a look.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most AIO coolers from a similar model line use the same pump, eg. the Corsair Pro model line all have exactly the same pump - the H100i Pro is identical in speed and design as the H150i Pro I tested a few months ago

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i dont understand with coffe lake 8core just around the corner and a 8700k out there why didnt they use these chips to show max temps what kind of watts does this cpu use

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

they use the exact same CPU on the same platform with the same settings to keep the prior data relevant. eliminating all other variables leaves just the 1 component responsible for any changes in outcome. scientific method? if each cooler was tested on a different CPU, then you wouldn't be comparing performance between coolers anymore.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

This is correct. Reducing or eliminating variables means we can control differences between tests - those differences are the coolers themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.