Corsair H100x for R7 2700x

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Hey guys,

I want to invest into some cooling solution that's not too loud but cools my system decently. Maybe some lite overclocking or just letting XFR hit some higher frequencies at a cooler temperature.

I was looking at this (Corsair H100x) which looks pretty good for the price of £70. You guys think I could do better for my AM4 socket or if another £10 would get me something better?

I've got a really cheap case (Kolink PUNISHER) but I can fit up to a 240mm rad+fan on the top.

Thanks guys!

Solution
Although the H100X is a CoolIt made unit (opposed to Asetek for most of Corsair's offerings), it's a solid price to cooling performance offering.

As for "not too loud", that really depends. AIO's have added pump noise, so top tier air coolers can better them on the noise front.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-punisher-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-ca-022-kk.html
Looks like your case is pretty closed off for airflow - so whatever route you go, I imagine your fans will be working near 100% most of the time, due to lack of airflow.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Although the H100X is a CoolIt made unit (opposed to Asetek for most of Corsair's offerings), it's a solid price to cooling performance offering.

As for "not too loud", that really depends. AIO's have added pump noise, so top tier air coolers can better them on the noise front.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-punisher-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-ca-022-kk.html
Looks like your case is pretty closed off for airflow - so whatever route you go, I imagine your fans will be working near 100% most of the time, due to lack of airflow.

Solution
If you want good cooling that is QUIET, you don't want water cooling, especially if you're doing any kind of overclocking.

Generally speaking, most big air coolers are quieter than water coolers by sometimes a little, other times, a lot.

If you are GOING to go with an AIO anyhow, and use a cheaper unit, that one would not be one of the Corsair models I would recommend. Something like the H100i Pro or H100i v2, if sticking with Corsair and trying to spend as little as possible.

Otherwise, for budget purposes, and this is just a really good cooler anyhow, this would be better IMO than that H100x.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING - Auraflow 240 RGB 74.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£55.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £55.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-29 17:06 GMT+0000

Personally, if you want a quiet system with good cooling I'd choose a good air cooler like the Noctua NH-U14S, Cryorig H5 or Thermalright Legrand Macho RT. These are all coolers that do just as good a job as basic 240mm AIO coolers and run quieter.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks, yeah I know, my case is pretty trash. I should probably upgrade but I'm not sure what to go for. It does well for its price and how bad it looks like it would perform. But yeah. Cheers!

For cases, I would stick to those above 60 bucks made by Fractal design, NZXT, Phanteks, Corsair, some of the Rosewill cases are ok and any Cooler Master case over maybe 130 bucks is probably ok. The cheaper Rosewill and Cooler Master cases are pretty weak.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks for the recommendation. Im scared to go with that one though literally. I had two of ID-Coolings FrostFlow 240L's break on me. They were alright but if it breaks again its gonna make me pretty upset again :D

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Ah sweet. I'll probably go for something NZXT then, I've heard a lot of good things about their cases and like the design of a few of them.

I understand. They ARE a chinese company, and we know that sometimes manufacturing quality assurance gets poor in these companies. LITERALLY, I think you have just as much chance from any of these other companies though, since the majority if not all of their manufacturing is done overseas too.

Good luck.