Question Corsair H100x Liquid CPU

Dec 29, 2021
I just installed my new AIO cooler but my tems havent changed at all sinced i changed from my normal cpu cooler if tried launching JC3 and got around 70-80 degress. This is what I was hitting before aswell, I got a i9 9900k i know this is a hot cpu but is i really supposed to go that high even with a AIO cooler. I tried turning the fans around on the radiator because my friends told me that they were the wrong way around. Temps still haven't changed.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Before anyone is able to accurately help you, they are going to request full system specs including "normal" CPU cooler and case. Your AIO is 240mm. Some good quality air coolers offer comparable cooling to a 240mm. You really need to step up to a 360mm AIO if your case will allow it to see much of a difference, if any. Where is your AIO mounted? If it is at the front of the case you should have the fans in an intake position drawing in cool air. If it is at the top of the case it should be exhausting the hot air out the top of the case. Just checking, did you remove any plastic film from the water block before installing and did you use thermal paste or did it come pre applied?

Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 29, 2021
Thermal was pre applied. I removed the plastic and my case do not support a 360mm AIO and its mounted in the front. I tried moving fans both ways but nothing changed.
Normal temps on desktop is 35-45
Specs:
Windows 10
CPU: I9 9900k 3.60 ghz
Ram: 32gb 3600 mhz
GPU: 3070ti
AIO Cooler: Cosair H100x

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard is an unknown.
Don't know what the chassis is.
Don't know what the fan+cooler setup is like. [Remove the side panel and take some pics so we can see those fans, and post images via imgur.com]
Don't know if an overclock has been applied or not.

Dec 29, 2021
Motherboard is a Z390 GAMING X from gigabyte i will post pictures
Edit:
I dont know how to post pics on here please add my discord - Hesus#7936

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You said there is no improvement over your original CPU cooler. What was the stock fan? Is the 9900K overclocked at all? How do you have the fan curve set up for the AIO? I see a lot of posts that the 9900K runs hot. I had a 7700K overclocked to 5.0GHz and it ran at a maximum temperature of 76C. My 5900X in my new rig runs at the exact same max temp. 70-80C isn't bad. If you don't have any fans in the top of your case you could try adding some to exhaust hot air.

You could also try redoing the thermal paste. Clean off the pre applied paste from the water block and the CPU with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol and reapply good paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Noctua NT H2.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021
You said there is no improvement over your original CPU cooler. What was the stock fan? Is the 9900K overclocked at all? How do you have the fan curve set up for the AIO? I see a lot of posts that the 9900K runs hot. I had a 7700K overclocked to 5.0GHz and it ran at a maximum temperature of 76C. My 5900X in my new rig runs at the exact same max temp. 70-80C isn't bad. If you don't have any fans in the top of your case you could try adding some to exhaust hot air.

You could also try redoing the thermal paste. Clean off the pre applied paste from the water block and the CPU with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol and reapply good paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Noctua NT H2.
Mine is only stock running at 3.6 ghz. I had a friend he told me i should move my fans to in the outside of the case and put on the front panel no clue if that will help
I dont have any sapce at the top at all the aio cooler cable thingy takes some space aswell but even withotu it i dont think i can fit any more fans, plus i dont even think i have any more fan connecters to my motherboard and i only have 3 running fans atm. No clue if there is more i tried looking but couldnt find any.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
It looks to me like your case is a solid front with an intake vent at the top and bottom of the front panel. That is not ideal for a front mounted AIO as airflow is restricted. I don't know if it's in your budget but I would suggest a case with a mesh front panel. Still, your temps aren't that bad with your current setup. It's up to you if buying a new case and swapping all your components into it is worth a few extra degrees?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As emitfudd said, you're choking the AIO's fans.
Fans and placement. That's what causes the gap between AIOs and air coolers to either narrow or widen.
Air coolers are always near the center of the chassis so the main source of air resistance for its fans is their own heatsink. The fans almost always have breathing room, unless there's too much plastic crap on it or something.
AIOs, placement is important alongside the fans. An AIO's radiator is a greater source of air resistance than an air cooler heatsink, and combined with the solid/semi-solid panel, you've now stacked up on the air resistance. You have to make up for that by running the fans harder, but that comes at the cost of noise - or don't, and cooling suffers; can't cool the cpu on the liquid flow alone.

Open mesh panels are the optimal location to place AIO radiators. Unfortunately, the P400S doesn't support AIOs at the top.
An air cooler is going to be more efficient here.

Dec 29, 2021
It looks to me like your case is a solid front with an intake vent at the top and bottom of the front panel. That is not ideal for a front mounted AIO as airflow is restricted. I don't know if it's in your budget but I would suggest a case with a mesh front panel. Still, your temps aren't that bad with your current setup. It's up to you if buying a new case and swapping all your components into it is worth a few extra degrees?
I switched my fans and it seems to have much lower temps i now run at max 70 so i think its fine