[SOLVED] Corsair h100x Vs h100i RGB Platinum Hydro.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Good afternoon,

Not sure what cooler to get for my 5800x CPU.

Choices are

h100x at £69
OR
H100i RGB Platinum Hydro series at £105

I do not care about RGB and I am looking to save money but not at the expense of serious performance loss or cooling of the PC as a whole at all, I just want it to cool and also not effect the airflow of the case if that's possible ( pc noob here btw )

Motherboard will be x570 Asus Tuf and the case will be Coolmaster Mastercase h500

so which would be the best buy for me,

Kind regards

Ape

Solution
I was told they can cool up to 400w without a problem
That is straight up not true. The 9900K with a 5.0ghz OC, ran under Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX options off, can throttle with either of those coolers, and it can be observed pulling some 250w of power while doing so.
Those 2 coolers are on par with big air coolers.

I suppose the 5800X shouldn't be that much more over a 3800X - perhaps it'll be like a 3900X, and that's not particularly power hungry; a 9700K can be pushed to draw more power.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
If you had to guess would you say that they will both be fine and cool 5800x without a problem since they are 240mm? I was told they can cool up to 400w without a problem and the 5800x is way below that, what do you say because id like to purchase on the 5th to skip possible waiting times.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was told they can cool up to 400w without a problem
That is straight up not true. The 9900K with a 5.0ghz OC, ran under Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX options off, can throttle with either of those coolers, and it can be observed pulling some 250w of power while doing so.
Those 2 coolers are on par with big air coolers.

I suppose the 5800X shouldn't be that much more over a 3800X - perhaps it'll be like a 3900X, and that's not particularly power hungry; a 9700K can be pushed to draw more power.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I forgot to mention: a 240mm is plenty adequate for a 3900X. Pretty crazy considering how many cores/threads it has. Power efficiency of Ryzen 3000 whooped Intel's butt.
So if a 5800X is on that level, a 240mm will work also.
But as I said earlier, there's really little difference between the 2 models you're considering besides the LEDs.

Reactions: RagedAPE

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
If I take this case
CORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW
with a 280mm corsair h115i 280mm

instead of Coolmaster mastercase
With the 240mm corsair

Would that be better cooling for the
3070 rog strix
asus tuf x570
5800x

Love your input so maybe that is better and I could then purchase on the 5th without benchmarks?

Thank you.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I mean... well, I should've gone into more detail between those 2 setups...

Assuming the 5800X has similar power requirements to a 3900X...
You're not going to see a significant step up in performance with even larger hybrid coolers, because you're already in the territory of diminishing returns with such a power efficient cpu.
You're going to have to really push it to make most 240mm units not be effective.

Most hybrid coolers today are 'identical in practicality'. Fans, LED/no LED, and other accents, will be all that separates the majority of them.
There's seldom outstanding exceptions among them compared to air and custom liquid, though some of that is Asetek's fault, IMO; their patents stagnated the market for these products.

Then there's the 2 chassis. The front of the 275R Airflow looks to be more restrictive than the H500's, and probably is.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Thats a great description, I feel safer to pick the h1100i now, the only air option is noctua nhu14s ultra quiet but I have no idea about it. I'm going with part picker company with small options.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thats a great description, I feel safer to pick the h1100i now, the only air option is noctua nhu14s ultra quiet but I have no idea about it. I'm going with part picker company with small options.
This might help you some: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/noctua-nh-u14s/6.html
Test cpu was a Engineering Sample i7-3960X and an older version of the H100 was used.

After having tried both air and hybrid coolers on my cpu and gpu - I just had to see for myself what all the 'hooplah' was about.
The greatest downside to hybrid coolers, IMO:
Having a backup cooler on hand for whenever the pump inevitably fails, is a good idea, which makes them even more expensive than what their retail prices suggest.
Depending on the quality of the pump and how the user uses the cooler, one could expect them to last from
1 year: cheap models, heavy OCs beyond the cooler's capabilities, making use of dynamic pump speed - it's easier on the pump to run a static speed
To
8 years: doesn't happen often, but it is possible if the unit is well cared for.
The user can't - well, shouldn't - continue to use the PC when the pump dies. Air coolers don't incur this problem, because they have no moving parts beyond their fan(s), and those are easy enough to substitute or replace.

An honorable mention goes to cable management.
Some models come with a few additional cables - fan, pump, and LED power/control.
It's rather minor, but something to keep in mind if you're a neat freak.

Oh - one more honorable mention: screws. Lots of screws. 🤣

I've kinda given up on arguing air V liquid: they're all hybrids, and each has it's pros and cons.
It's nice to have options.

Last edited: