Corsair H110i super high temperatures with i7 4790k

hunt909

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Recently I decided to change out the default thermal paste on my H110i GT due to idle temperatures around the high 30s and mid 40s. After purchasing some new Arctic MX4 and cleaning both the water block and CPU with 70% Alcohol I applied a pea sized Drop of Arctic MX4. After refastening the cooler I was greeted with idle temperatures in the 60s and 70s and thermal throttling at 100 degrees when opening something as simple as google chrome. I have reapplied the thermal paste multiple times since then but I seem unable to get the temperatures lower.

I am running both fans on my H110i GT in exhaust in my Phanteks Enthoo pro case. According to Corsair link the pump seems to be operational with 3000 ish rpm.

Solution
you say you put on there like a pea size drop paste thats massive I would of said more like a grain of rice and smear it over very thin I have the same cooler and the pump is at 2940 hope this helps as I do feel you are not tightening the cooler down properly with the CPU with them temps it has to be very tight. I get 35 deg just browsing 8350

hunt909

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I also forgot to mention that I'm using an MSI Gaming 5 motherboard with Gskill rip Jaws RAM and two GTX 980s Also the CPU isn't over locked at all as I wanted to get better thermals before I overclocked it seriously.

you say you put on there like a pea size drop paste thats massive I would of said more like a grain of rice and smear it over very thin I have the same cooler and the pump is at 2940 hope this helps as I do feel you are not tightening the cooler down properly with the CPU with them temps it has to be very tight. I get 35 deg just browsing 8350

Solution