Question Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO and iCue issues

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO cooling my AMD Ryzen 3900 CPU on a ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair Hero VIII motherboard that I bought Dec 2019 to replace my terrible MSi X570 Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi which had big VRM issues which caused the AMD CPU to thermal throttle.

I was having a persistent unrecognized USB device issue with the ASUS mobo and could not figure it out (Windows kept disconnecting and reconnecting an unknown device every few seconds). I eventually RMA'd the board and ASUS said they could not find any issues with the board but sent me a refurbed board anyway.

Corsair's iCue software has always been a pain. While it recognized my K95 keyboard and Commander Pro USB controller, it never recognized my H115i. Recently, the same unrecognized USB device error has appeared. I have been in contact with Corsair for the past two weeks diagnosing the problem and so far nothing has worked.

I am beginning to suspect that the iCue software along with the Corsair peripherals are what causing all my issues. Right now, every time I boot, Windows will start beeping for several minutes until a notification pops up saying that Windows did not recognize the last USB device plugged into the system and is disabling that device. Device manager does not show any errors at all but the app refreshes constantly when Windows is beeping until the notification appears.

I tried using a Logitech keyboard and disconnecting the USB connector from the Corsair H115i water pump but the error persists. I am considering using a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black to bypass the H115i as well as removing the Corsair Commander Pro controller.

As a last resort i might just do a fresh install of Windows 10. Any ideas or comments would be helpful.

Does the older Corsair Link support the H115i? If yes, I would give that a shot.
I've always used Link. iCue just doesn't appeal to me. You may lose RGB in testing but who cares. Also, verify that you have the USB plugged into the internal header properly.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Link does not support the H115i v2.

I did some rewiring.

I routed the USB cable from the H115i pump directly to the motherboard USB connector. It was connected to the Commander Pro (The motherboard has two USB connectors, one is connected to the Commander Pro and the other was connected to the case's front USB connectors)

To free the USB connector, I disconnected the USB cable which was connected to the USB front panel and connected it to the Commander Pro USB port.

The H115i now appears on iCue. I still show an error in Device Manager but it is no longer making the beeping sounds. The issue I am now experiencing is that two of the four front panel USB ports no longer work.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The problem is that motherboards only have two USB connectors. But I need three connectors for the H115i cooler pump, the Commander Pro controller box and a connector for the front panel USB ports.

Corsair solves this by making the Commander Pro a USB hub, supplying two additional USB connectors on the controller box.

My problem is that when I connected the Commander Pro and the front panel USB connectors to the motherboard and the cooler's USB connector to the Commander Pro USB hub, the cooler does not appear on iCue. iCue is Corsair's management software. It only listed the Commander Pro (which controls all the fans (speed and RGB lighting) and my Corsair K95 keyboard.

I tried rewiring everything. I connected the cooler pump's USB and the Commander Pro to the mobo USB connectors and the front panel USB connectors to the Commander Pro's USB hub. After reboot, everything worked. I can now control the cooler, all the fans and the keyboard RGB lighting. To fix my two of four front panel USB ports not working, i connected the front panel USB to the secondary USB port on the Commander Pro.

I am no longer getting the USB connect/disconnect errors with its irritating beeping. So far the PC is working fine. I still have two minor issues. ASUS's AURA LED controller still appears in Device Manager (and I can't seem to get rid of it). And Device Manager still occasionally shows the Device Descriptor Request Failed (Unknown USB device) error, but not consistently. When the error appears, it shows disabled because I disabled the device in Device Manager, so it no longer errors out as well... I hope this fixes everything. Corsair's support was of no use.

Oh yeah, my Noctua NHD15 Chromax.black air cooler I ordered as a precaution just showed up a couple of hours ago. I'll keep it on the side in case the system bugs out again

I hope this fixes everything and may be of help to some of you...