Corsair H150i Pro CPU Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
My thinking is that airflow might be the overall main culprit since a 280 and 360 radiator are very close in actual surface area and overall heat exchanger volume. Would be a very simple theory to test :)

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I had to change out the fans on my Corsair H100i due to noise and poor cooling. Once I did I noticed a decent difference. I'm betting they are putting the low end fans on the cooler and if you put some good ones on there you'd be in good shape. That would screw up the price/performance ratio, but if you are a Corsair junky, then there you go.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I've seen a few reviews today on this AIO, and I'm wondering if you tested with the pump set to half speed quiet mode only. All the other test results I've seen show this AIO performing quite well compared to the other AIO's. I've seen one review that tested both the normal performance mode for the pump, and the quiet mode, and only their quiet mode low speed pump results have matched the results in this review.

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Would be interesting to see if a push pull configuration would give some lower temp ranges and by how much. I also wonder if the stock fans are hindering lower temps but like Thrakazog said I also seen reviews that showed it fairing better against other AIO coolers.

FD2Raptor

Admirable

Gamer Nexus : 5930k @ 3.8Ghz 1.14V
EVGA 280 (2200rpm) : 32.86 LOAD, over ambient
NZXT X61 (1700rpm) : 36.94 LOAD, over ambient
Corsair H150 (1600rpm) : 35.80 LOAD, over ambient
Corsair H150 "quiet" (1600rpm) : 49.91 LOAD, over ambient

Toms : 5930k @ 4.2Ghz 1.2V
EVGA 280 (2280rpm) : 37 LOAD, over ambient
NZXT X61 (1980rpm) : 41 LOAD, over ambient
Corsair H150 (1600rpm) : 55 LOAD, over ambient

either those extra OC and voltage is already too much for the H150 or something is off here...

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Swap the fans, they use the bare bones, bottom of the barrel fans for their AiOs. I swapped out the stock fans with some LP Corsair White LED fans and i noticed a difference. Swap the fans and try the tests over.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Not to add a second comment, but also check the settings, quiet mode can really make the temps shoot up when trying to push the CPU, trust me, I was playing BF1 and in quiet mode, and my cpu temps shot to 80... I was like, what? No.. cause the norm is usally 50, 60, MAX, and lo and behold, it was in quiet mode.

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

That's just silly, what's the point? That's like testing a Porsche, getting weak numbers, then suggesting they pop in a more powerful motor. Then it's not the same car anymore, is it? People want to know how the product performs as sold, not after swapping parts out (and spending more money).

If Corsair is using "bottom of the barrel" fans then that's what the review should reflect- which it does.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

The issue we're wondering about it why the specific unit in this test performed badly. Every other test/review I've seen has it performing well in the top half of the charts with other AIO's. Perhaps Tom's received a bad unit. I'm not saying I like this AIO one way or the other....it's just strange that this particular review is the only one with poor results.

flep

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Finally a review that is not paid, the other sites are probably tied to some Corsair advertising shit and don't want to point the simple truth: there is NOTHING GOOD about a 360mm AIO that loses to cheaper 280mm and even 240mm on some comparisons.
Corsair took years to finally do a 360mm one and it's terrible, plain simple.

And man that pump format and style is ugly, jesus.

HossIV

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
@FLEP so your logic is when you see everyone giving good reviews on it and one bad review youre gonna believe the one bad review and say the good ones are all paid? that's extremely uneducated. MOST people that have done reviews are NOT paid endorsements. in fact this very one was technically a paid review because Corsair hooked them up with a unit AND a special version of Corsair LINK as the guy said. If a review is paid or sponsored it is illegal NOT to say it is sponsored. so if someone just does a review, especially a more well known person or group, and they dont say it's sponsored or anything, then it is not sponsored and they are more than likely not going easy on the product. Especially if you watch JayZTwoCents' review on it. He's the last guy to ever review a product and not give an honest answer on it. if he says it's good then it's honestly good.

flep

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

No, that's not my logic at all, and there's nothing uneducated.

I really don't get how you can't see the logic, as it's simple logic pattern: if the data provided on comparisons SHOW that a product is losing to cheaper 280mm products (and they do show this on multiple reviews), the product is bad, that's it.

But then there's reviews that show have this same data and still say "good product, we recommend", it doesn't make any sense because this is not something subject of opinion, it should be backed up by data / facts.

Therefore, if the data provided show that the product on it's main functionality loses to cheaper / older / smaller products, and someone still say is a good product, or the reviewer is being paid (which they should mention on the review itself), or the website has some advertising tie and don't want to upset Corsair (and this they do not need to mention on the review) - because this is how the world works.

Pretty simple.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I am not paid by Corsair for the review, nor am I paid by any of the hardware vendors for the coolers I am supplied with to review. We are provided testing samples for benchmarking, photos and write-up. All manufacturers do this and this is common practice everywhere on the web for any site posting reviews. These are not paid endorsements and by reading some of the results, it should seem apparent that not every item that is being reviewed receives positive marks or 'finishes on top'.

Tom's Hardware is viewed by millions upon millions of people per day, so the web traffic alone to see their hardware shown and written about is the primary goal. It also means Google and every other search engine can then index the page for people searching on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.