Question Corsair H170i compatibility on AM5 ASUS x670E Hero motherboard

Oct 2, 2022
Hi,

So I am in need to build a new PC to use as my sim racing rig. I'm building from scratch, no upgrades, so I was thinking to go with the new 7950X from AMD. Now, I've been seeing a lot of videos saying this thing runs hot, so I was planning to buy a Corsair H170i Elite Capellix, and a Corsair 7000D full-tower.

However, I recently saw a video from Jayz 2 Cents saying that the AM4 backwards compatibility that AMD is claiming isn't exactly compatible with all coolers. If you have to replace the base plate behind your CPU, you can't because the CPU socket itself is screwed into it.

So my question is: if I go with an ASUS ROG CROSSHIR x670E Hero and AMD 7950X, will the Corsair H170i fit?

Thanks!

Unclegig2018

Prominent
Jun 21, 2022
hello i have got a corsair 4000D air flow and i also got Corsair H170i Elite Capellix with AMD Ryzen 9 5900X cpu with rog strix b550-e gaming WiFi and also msi armor graphic card and with corsair rgb rams and never had a problem also with 500GB crucial m.2 and also crucial 1tb m.2 and never had a problem with my setup

Reactions: Marcus1981
Oct 2, 2022
hello i have got a corsair 4000D air flow and i also got Corsair H170i Elite Capellix with AMD Ryzen 9 5900X cpu with rog strix b550-e gaming WiFi and also msi armor graphic card and with corsair rgb rams and never had a problem also with 500GB crucial m.2 and also crucial 1tb m.2 and never had a problem with my setup
Yeah, I'm asking because of the AM4 x AM5 backwards compatibility. It seems AMD has been saying that all AM4 coolers will also work with the new AM5 socket, but it seems to be a lie.

This video here:
View: https://youtu.be/dpdf0g3zAqA

Oct 2, 2022
i have done some research on this about AM4 AND AM5 will be backward-compatible cording pc word article
That is what I thought too, but after this video from Jayz 2 Cents, I got worried. Not so much about the 2mm gap on the CPU case itself (which ok, sucks for cooling), but on the motherboard back plates for the coolers, that can't be replaced. That is why I want to know if the Corsair H170i will be compatible.

Hi,

So I am in need to build a new PC to use as my sim racing rig. I'm building from scratch, no upgrades, so I was thinking to go with the new 7950X from AMD. Now, I've been seeing a lot of videos saying this thing runs hot, so I was planning to buy a Corsair H170i Elite Capellix, and a Corsair 7000D full-tower.

However, I recently saw a video from Jayz 2 Cents saying that the AM4 backwards compatibility that AMD is claiming isn't exactly compatible with all coolers. If you have to replace the base plate behind your CPU, you can't because the CPU socket itself is screwed into it.

So my question is: if I go with an ASUS ROG CROSSHIR x670E Hero and AMD 7950X, will the Corsair H170i fit?

Thanks!
HUH?? Instead of watching incredibly poorly done videos you should read the cooler manufacturer's instructions. If you download and read the installation instructions for the cooler it clearly indicates that you just unscrew the plastic mounts for tabbed style coolers and insert the standoffs for the corsair cooler. Then the cooler pump mechanism is screwed onto the standoffs. Since the motherboard you're planning on using includes its own backplate there's no messing around with alternate backplates required. Stop worrying about videos that don't even apply to your equipment.

Maggot01

Prominent
Apr 5, 2021
Not the same cooler but I have just mounted a very old version 1 artic cooler 240 AIO to a MSI x670e Carbon. Just used the AMD4 standoffs and all was fine. No backplate changes. Highest temp I have seen is about 86 in Cyberpunk 2077 combat

edit: Should have mentioned that was a 7600x not your planned top of the range chip.

Oct 2, 2022
HUH?? Instead of watching incredibly poorly done videos you should read the cooler manufacturer's instructions. If you download and read the installation instructions for the cooler it clearly indicates that you just unscrew the plastic mounts for tabbed style coolers and insert the standoffs for the corsair cooler. Then the cooler pump mechanism is screwed onto the standoffs. Since the motherboard you're planning on using includes its own backplate there's no messing around with alternate backplates required. Stop worrying about videos that don't even apply to your equipment.

Ok, I've always thought that Jayz's videos were good. Am I wrong (honest question here)? If so, please, do recommend someone that I should be watching, and I will gladly do so.

Ok, I've always thought that Jayz's videos were good. Am I wrong (honest question here)? If so, please, do recommend someone that I should be watching, and I will gladly do so.
There is no one you should be watching. You need to download and READ the manufacturer's manuals and assembly instructions so that you understand how everything is assembled and functions before you buy it. If the manufacturer provides any videos, you can watch those.

Oct 5, 2022
There is no one you should be watching. You need to download and READ the manufacturer's manuals and assembly instructions so that you understand how everything is assembled and functions before you buy it. If the manufacturer provides any videos, you can watch those.

This is not entirely accurate, I have the exact same cooler the OP is talking about and brought it forward from my AM4 build, but before i bought i checked the Corsair website for anything they had regards AM5 compatibility, i even contacted their customer services to verify compatibility and all they could do was parrot the official AMD line of "AM5 is backwards compatible with AM4 coolers"

But to confuse matters further, the current instructions on the Corsair website mention a completely different AM4 mounting mechanism, the current instruction mention removing the two brackets and using the existing screw holes to attach standoffs for AM4, where as the version i have of the exact cooler uses the old school clips with screws to tighten.

With regards to the OPs point, either way, the H170i should be compatible with AM5 regardless of which mounting mechanism you have, but with the potential heat issues with these CPUs i would have fingers crossed for the newer stand off version rather than the one i have because it doesn't instil confidence that i am getting a nice even mount.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Jayz video makes certain assumptions and was only halfway done. And that's the problem as I see it. For Noctua type mounts, they bolt directly to the stock backplate, so Z height is immaterial, the plane is kept the same from backplate to cpu. So those type coolers are AM5 compatible as is. Many aios can use the stock backplate too but use standoff plastic/metal pieces that fit Over the baseplate stubs and you screw the cooler mount down from above, the mount stopping at the top of the standoff. It's there that Z height becomes an issue, even with a stock backplate, because the standoffs are Z height for AM4, not AM5. A simple fix for that is to shave the standoff collars shorter.

Best thing to be done is wait. It won't take long for motherboard vendors, cooler vendors etc to get their act together, I mean seriously, even NZXT already has AM5 brackets, EK waterblock has AM5 cpu blocks etc. Ppl will buy AM5, but they'll buy Intel instead, or wait for 13th gen, if there isn't any reliable way to cool AM5 with their cooler option choices.

Jayz video makes certain assumptions and was only halfway done. And that's the problem as I see it. For Noctua type mounts, they bolt directly to the stock backplate, so Z height is immaterial, the plane is kept the same from backplate to cpu. So those type coolers are AM5 compatible as is. Many aios can use the stock backplate too but use standoff plastic/metal pieces that fit Over the baseplate stubs and you screw the cooler mount down from above, the mount stopping at the top of the standoff. It's there that Z height becomes an issue, even with a stock backplate, because the standoffs are Z height for AM4, not AM5. A simple fix for that is to shave the standoff collars shorter.

Best thing to be done is wait. It won't take long for motherboard vendors, cooler vendors etc to get their act together, I mean seriously, even NZXT already has AM5 brackets, EK waterblock has AM5 cpu blocks etc. Ppl will buy AM5, but they'll buy Intel instead, or wait for 13th gen, if there isn't any reliable way to cool AM5 with their cooler option choices.
No, AMD deliberately designed the AM5 with a thicker heat spreader so that the Z height is precisely the same as AM4 to achieve cooler compatibility. They did that deliberately so that people would not have to get new standoffs to screw into the backplate and so AM4 standoffs are the same as AM5 standoffs. Z height is irrelevant unless the user delids the cpu. This is how videos like the one sited cause disinformation campaigns to get started.