Question Corsair h60 with i9-9900k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 12, 2019
I bought a system that has a i9-9900k and a corsair h60 as cooler. After doing some more extensive research, it seems like i might have taken a too cheap cooler? Im currently pretty paranoid about it overheating or such.

I realize that. But surely a FX 8350 @ 4.7GHz OC has to run hotter than a i9-9900K @ stock, no? (I was using the 8350 for an extreme comparison only) :)

Actually now. Yes the FX series used a ton of power but AMDs CPUs pre-Ryzen have almost always had a much lower temperature ceiling. The FX series was typically 62c max for the core. The 8000 series was typically more stable overclocked than say the FX 9590, again it would use a ton more power but the temps still were lower than what Intel has had (especially in recent models).

The 9900K is very different. Most reviews that used good 240mm AiOs still hit 70c + and from what I can find has a TJ Max of 115C, almost double the max core temp for the FX series. That is typically the point where the CPU starts to shut down, 20-25 below that is throttling.

Intel did move back to TIM which is why they could shove more cores into the same package.

Not easy to compare Ryzen and Coffee Lake though. To be honest you would have to clock them the same. Coffee Lake has a slightly higher base clock but a vastly higher boost clock. If you set the boost clock on the i5 to 4GHz it would probably run pretty cool and work for most lower end coolers.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To put this maybe in perspective, and take out the AIO from the equation, the H60 gets almost exactly the same performance as a CM hyper212. I personally have a hard time justifying a hyper212 on an 8700k, nevermind a cpu as over the top as a 9900k.

It's not souch that a cpu of that caliber warrants the biggest coolers, but under any heavy load simply demands it.

TDP (afaik hasn't changed) is nothing more than an averaged power usage from a specific series of moderate apps. Designed around Quad core cpu usage. A minimum sized cooler on a 9900k is @ 2x TDP. Best cooling solution is a well outfitted full custom loop.

The H60 is sub-par.