Corsair H70: Next-Gen Self-Contained Liquid Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
"street price of around $110, it is reasonably priced" -too high.
"slightly elevated background noise" -understatement

You will be better served by the h50, yes its weaker but its cheaper and quieter and performs close to the same. Do yourself a favor and avoid this product although it is quite good.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Overpriced, equal to or gets beat by air cooling in temps, and is pretty loud...Doesn't sound like a very good product ?__?

The prolimatech and noctua offerings are much better.

maxal

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Would it be possible to post combined charts of idle temp/noise and full load temp/noise ? IMHO that would be more informative than plain bars, as many are interested in balance of those characteristics.

I had expected to see even the CM Hyper 212+ results...
IMO $110 for such a cooler not worth it,...Other good option if going for a closed loop cooler would be the CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO...

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I would have also liked to have seen comparison between a push/pull exhaust, and a push/pull intake.

For my H50, it is quite explicit that the radiator should be pulling outside air through the fins. And yet, people keep it as an exhaust and then lament of their temps.

One of the biggest perks of a closed loop water cooling system is you dictate what air is being used. Where-as big air is always restricted to case air(unless a side is removed and a box fan is added)

I would have also liked to of seen it as a delta above ambient, rather than a flat CPU temperature comparison. I personally process the delta better, and lend more credence to it.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I want one for my gfx card not the cpu. Its my gfx thats noisy. I don't care about cooling temps or overclocking as long as the cooling is adequate. I just want sweet silence :).

cmcghee358

Distinguished

I guess you missed the part where it was the noisiest thing on the list with a 57.3 dB at max?

Also considering the TDP of some of these GPUs are between 190 and 300W, you can expect the H70 to work much harder thant he sample 130W CPU. So it will most likely be loud all the time because of the higher operating temps of the GPU.

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]D1RTYJU1C3[/nom]Someone explain why they are using a pentium D for the test.I want to see the results on 1366/1156 CPU not an old pentium d.[/citation]

The reason is clearly stated in the page about the test configuration. RTFM.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

I could care less if the Pentium D is less efficient than a 1366/1156 CPU. People dont really need to know the coolers results on an old Pentium D.
Yes, I know that more than likely if it performs good on the Pentium D then it will definitely perform good with the i7, Blah Blah Blah, show me, That is what people want to see. For someone who dont know and is looking for a good review on how the H70 performs on the i7/i5 this review is pretty much useless to them.

It is one thing to test new components on the Core2 CPUs but an old Pentium D come on. Even an old 45nm Core2quad or C2D would be less efficient than an i7/i5, not only that more people own the C2Q/C2D.

G

Perhaps I missed something but:

- which configuration was used? push/pull
- air from outside the case or the inside

The orginal fans included with the H50/70 are crap. The firt thing I did, changed them for 2 Scythe fans. The temperatur is much better, the same thing for noise level.

Want to see what this cooler is realy capable of:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/offizielle-pcghx-wasserkuehlungstests/112351-kompaktkuehlung-corsair-h70-im-test.html

It's german but you don't have to understand the language to interprete the charts, particularly "H70 @ 2 Serienlüfter @ 1.600 1/min
Spoiler:"

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This isn't real watercooling, and H50/H70's are known to have weaknesses and flaws. H50's were prone to leaking, and on both units, the pump is INCREDIBLY underpowered. You are MUCH better using a high quality air cooler for your CPU.

Yes, Corsair and a few of these companies making these *cough* CRAP *cough* self contained coolers also make crap GPU coolers for those of you interested.

I'd suggest you check out the Forums > Overclocking > Coolers and Heatsinks for more discussions on Tom's (I am a regular for watercooling out there) as well as Overclock.net forums...or Xtremesystems forums. Creating an 'idiot proof' watercooling unit like this needs to be a much better performing unit if they are charging this...there are far better alternatives for beginners for watercooling.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Have to agree with other sentiments expressed. If there are air coolers that match the performance of h70, then h70 is a failure at being much more than a gimmick.

They should offer 240 and 360 models, 120 just doesn't dissipate enough heat.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
@kelemvor4:

You are quite correct. For the price/performance curve, it fails against other air coolers costing more than 50% less.

Flat performance vs. even beginner watercooling is dismal...even against the ThermalTake bigwater kits...which we all try to steer others away from.

The radiator needs to be at least a 220 AND offer better flow rates. Their site doesn't even state what the pump flow is...but a few have done some tests and its very pathetic.

Gimmick? Yes, very much.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I would like to see performance charts with +30ºC room temp. I believe that on H50 review explained why and when it had sense liquid cooling although in normal benchmarks it got beaten by air cooling.

G

Guess some of you may want to read the conclusion to the end.

Neither H50 nor H70 is a failure, because, while performing similar to high end air coolers, it fits in many systems where those high end coolers simply don't. So what use will you have for that NH-D14 or Megahalems if you can't even mount it, because it collides with sth on the mobo or case?

mresseguie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Marcel (and Tom's), thank you for this review. I had been eyeballing this product as a possible upgrade for my system, but now I realize my current fan isn't too shabby. I now know I can simply get a better fan if I feel the need. This was a worthwhile review IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.