Question Corsair HX1000i overloaded?

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
I am having some trouble getting my server to power on with every internal device plugged in at the same time. I believe my power supply may not have enough juice, but 1000 watts is a lot...

Heres a quick run down of the specs:
-CPU: Threadripper 3960x
-Water cooled with Heatkiller water block, 360mm radiator, and EK DDC pump
-Motherboard: Asrock Rack TRX40D8-2N2T
-RAM: 64GB G.Skill 3200Mhz CL16 (4x16GB)
-Intel x520-da2 (both SFPs populated)
-GTX1050
-LSI SAS 9207-8i controller
-8x Seagate nytro 1351 (960GB)
-1x Seagate ironwolf nas (1tb)
-2x Samsung 970 evo 1TB
-6x Noctua iPPC-3000 PWM

I recently added 8 Seagate nytros (2.5 SATA SSDs) all powered through two Peripheral PCIe power cables. When attempting to power the server on, it turned on for a second then all the LEDs on the case and motherboard turned off. After a few seconds the LEDs came back on and it attempted to power on yet again, but failed. I tried with the server plugged into a completely different outlet, and it still cant power on with everything plugged in.

The server powers on just fine with half the sata drives plugged in, and it doesnt matter which half. I can alternate between the two sets of 4 SSDs and it will power on and stay on. I think this means there's no wiring fault with the SSDs power.

I was also able to get the server to power on with all the SSDs plugged in by removing the GTX 1050.

This sounds to me like I need a larger power supply? Or is something else funky going on here?
Later today I will be hooking up to the USB corsair link on the PSU to see if that shows me anything.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
If it was OCP (or any other PSU protection aside of OCP on 5VSB) then PSU should've tripped requiring you to cut the power altogether, only after that it would've started again. What's the cause of this i honestly have no idea though. Do they work if you start the system with the half of SSDs powered and then power the rest after after you power it on ?

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
If it was OCP (or any other PSU protection aside of OCP on 5VSB) then PSU should've tripped requiring you to cut the power altogether, only after that it would've started again. What's the cause of this i honestly have no idea though. Do they work if you start the system with the half of SSDs powered and then power the rest after after you power it on ?

I haven't tried it since everyone seems to think Id break things if I plug in sata power after the system is already on.

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
Well now the problem has gotten worse. The system won't even power on without the GPU with both banks of SSDs in.

While it was still on with one set of SSDs, I did try and plug in the other set, and the whole system immediately shut off.

I tried plugging the SSDs into the other SATA/Peripheral plugs on the PSU, and no luck. Same behavior with all the ports.

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
That doesn't compute.

At this point i suspect that there are actually something wrong with the PSU, do you have any other (good) PSU to test this build with ?

Yeah, I don't know. Nothing has changed. The server was powered off between when it was working without the GPU and yesterday.

I have small 450w psus sitting around, not enough unfortunately.

Im going to try dividing up the SSDs power between 4x 6pin psu connectors instead of 2. I saw something in the PSU manual about it sensing current at each connector and being able to limit amperage per connector.

If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll be in for another PSU. I'll probably spring for a 1200w for a little more headroom.

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
Welp, it powered on with 3x 6pin sata power. But as soon as I logged into the web interface, the server lost power.

I can only assume I am at the limit of wattage (somehow) and will need a large PSU.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Am i right in assuming that you're powering all your drives directly from the appropriate SATA power cables that come with the PSU ? I.e no extenders\splitters.
In that case, these cables do not have sensing wires, and they're not current sensing but voltage anyway. And again, any protection if tripped should latch the PSU, so you can't start the PC again regardless of how much time you'll wait until you'll manually cut power to the PSU or flick it's power switch.
If that's not the behavior you're observing then it's not PSU protections.
Regardless, this PSU actually has current draw monitoring capabilities, connect it through internal USB and look in the iCUE or HWiNFO64 (although i think it needs iCUE to be installed anyway) what's the power draw on 5V rail.
@jonnyguru just in case

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
Am i right in assuming that you're powering all your drives directly from the appropriate SATA power cables that come with the PSU ? I.e no extenders\splitters.
In that case, these cables do not have sensing wires, and they're not current sensing but voltage anyway. And again, any protection if tripped should latch the PSU, so you can't start the PC again regardless of how much time you'll wait until you'll manually cut power to the PSU or flick it's power switch.
If that's not the behavior you're observing then it's not PSU protections.
Regardless, this PSU actually has current draw monitoring capabilities, connect it through internal USB and look in the iCUE or HWiNFO64 (although i think it needs iCUE to be installed anyway) what's the power draw on 5V rail.
@jonnyguru just in case

All cables are directly from the box the PSU came in. Cables are the 1 to 4 splitter from 6pin power.

I pulled out the PSU entirely, shook it a bit, then reinstalled making sure all connectors were fully seated.
I hooked up the system to a kill-o-watt to see what it was pulling from the wall. Max I saw at boot was 350w, so no where near the max of this PSU.

I've gone through about 5 boot cycles now, it powers on every time with everything connected.
Not sure why it wasn't working before, but it is now. Hopefully it stays that way.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Might be better to post some pictures of what you're trying to do, mean what cables you are trying to use. Preferred way is use Imgur.
You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Get the feeling you try to power the ssd's by somehow using adapters on pcie cables.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
Took some videos of corsair icue both on normal power on and capturing the shut off problem and 2 auto restarts (bios set to power on upon ac power loss)

Power on:
View: https://youtu.be/5V4uCiWwUiA

Random Shutoff at 1:06:
View: https://youtu.be/8nK7ZiXnQp8

The power supply comes back up and attempts power on 2 times after minute 1:06, but I guess iCUE doesn't connect fast enough to collect data for such a short power on, then power loss.

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
Use a third cable.

Also make sure PSU is set to single +12V rail mode.

Single rail mode is on (pretty sure by default).

Run a third sata power cable? I have already tested that, it did not solve the issue. In fact when the problem is occuring (after the intial random power off, the system will not restart) I can unplug all the SSDs between power failures and the system still wont turn on.

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
I take that back, the system does restart successfully after the failure if I remove the SSD power cables. I guess thats the source of my problem. I'll see how stable it is with the drives split across 3 power cables.

According to iCUE my unit has been in single rail OCP mode this entire time. I haven't touched the setting, so it shipped to me in that mode.
Interesting. Let's put it this way... It's supposed to be multiple by default. Multiple +12V rail is there as a safety mechanism to act as a fall back for SCP of something gets screwed up during the build process (e.g. Wrong cable used, pinched wire, etc.). Shipping the PSU in single +12V rail mode defeats that purpose.

erasedhammer

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
I just got in two more sata power cables. Split up the drives so its 2 drives per 1 sata/peripheral 6pin on the PSU. Same problem is still happening.
I think I have more specific symptoms now. When the problem first happens, the system will not restart even if I leave it overnight. If I pull the power plug and leave it for a couple minutes, then plug it back and and leave the PSU button on (system off) for a few minutes, then it will power on. But even then its not guranteed every time.

I don't think I can troubleshoot this anymore, and clearly I can't fix it. I think its time to RMA the power supply and see if that helps.

Its hard to believe 8 sata SSDs brought this server to its knees.