Corsair HX1200 PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

grozzie

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Not another plug/connector change!. I, like many people on this site, build custom PC's, part of which includes sleeved cables. One bug bear is 2 wires into 1, which is a in in the arse. I personally like the HXi series of Corsair PSU's which only have one such connection. I also think the 24 pin ATX supply is outdated and needs revision. I can't see the point of supplying motherboards with 3.3 and 5v rails. If only 12v was supplied with any or all voltage reduction made on board life would be so much simpler and neater. By providing more noise reduction at source (the PSU) gives Motherboard manufacturers an open cart to reduce the quality of voltage regulation i.e capacitor quality, on the motherboard. Is there really a need for another PSU on the market?

^^What are you talking about? Register and get on Corsair's support forums:

https://sso.corsair.com/idp/AuthnEngine#/authn

Of course they have a customer support phone number: 888-222-4346 (North America customers).

Anyway, back on topic, first the $#@! miners have negatively impacted our GPU market, and now they may negatively impact our PSU market. :fou: What makes this really aggravating is that the PSU makers really can't prove a PSU was used 7x24 for heavy mining operation.

Worse, even if PSU vendors like Corsair offer a mining-specific PSU for less money with just say a 2-3 year warranty, nothing would stop the miners from buying the full 10-year variant. This mining craze is becoming a real pain to we PC enthusiasts.

You are making everyone's head hurt. If you want to complain about Corsair, then do so on Corsair's customer support forums and social media. Also, just FYI, Tom's only reviews what is sent to them. They do not go "cherry pick" buy products and review them. For someone who is an alleged "original reader" of Tom's I'd have expected you to understand that.

Bro.. You're all over the place. :D

So only the 24-pin is pin incompatible with the Type 3 cables. And yes... it's because of the extra sense wires. If you're really going to get all wound up about having to do 2-to-1 wires when doing custom cables, you know what you should do? Don't do 2-to-1 wires. They're only sense wires. The lack of them doesn't prevent the PSU from working. It'll just make your voltage regulation "as bad" as any other PSU that doesn't have the sense wires.

Yes. The ATX spec is out of date. But Intel wrote it and nobody is going ot implement a new standard without Intel's blessing. They even released a whole new ATX design guide last month that changes almost everything (T1 timing, T3 timing, standby efficiency..) but DID NOT TOUCH the pinout (they made -12V "optional", but that's hardly much of a change).

beatnutz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Jellwood: I find it hard to believe that someone who does not know how to write a proper sentence is preparing any students for anything. Let alone the ACT.

beatnutz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Jellwood: I find it hard to believe that someone who does not know how to write a proper sentence is preparing any students for anything. Let alone the ACT.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I kind of like reading his posts.

Hey Jellwood! What else do you have to say?

Edit:
Oh yeah! I wanted to mention that I liked the review too.
When you guys do power supply reviews, I have a hard time staying interested for the entire article. Components that effect performance are more relatable. Power supply benchmarks just don't do it for me.
With that said, I read through the opening and the conclusion. It seems like a solid piece of gear. You guys need to produce a School House Rock video that gets me on board with power supply reviews.

MyDNA

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
@GROZZIE you said "If only 12v was supplied with any or all voltage reduction made on board life would be so much simpler and neater" Voltage regulation from 12v to say 3.3v done on the motherboard would produce loads of heat, it's a complete waste of energy putting such a demanding circuitry on a motherboard. Even the most efficient voltage regulation circuitry using the most efficient electronic components by voltage reduction would not be feasible. Do you think that if it could be done that way it would not have been done by now?

beatnutz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I had gadgets too in 1999, but I'm not sure how that or your students grades relate to this review at all. Why don't you just write a book and bury it somewhere?

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but....

Yet the actual RMA rate at HQ is < 1%. I know typically "the customer is always right", but in this case....

I'm guessing by "new owners" you're talking about EagleTree. For the record, EagleTree are investors, not owners, albeit with a majority stake. All current officers, management, etc. at Corsair has not changed.

The transaction you refer to happened three weeks ago. It takes more time than that to procure the components required to build a PSU, actually build the PSU, and ship the PSU from China to distribution warehouses. This does not include actually shipping orders to retailers, getting them on the retailer's shelves and into the customers hands.

Unless, in your mind, the transaction between Francisco Brothers and EagleTree went something like this (go back six months or so...).....

EagleTree: "So you know that computer component company you guys invested in?"
Francisco Bros: "You mean Corsair? Yeah."
EagleTree: "Well... we want to take that off your hands. We'll make it worth your while.. but we ask you do one thing first."
Francisco Bros: "Hmm... Depends. What are you thinking about?"
EagleTree: "We want you to tell all of Corsair's suppliers... Flextronics, Asetek, HEC, Lite On.... Tell them all to start cutting corners on everything they make for Corsair. Once we see a measurable reduction in quality and an increase in failure rates, we'll buy your shares in the company."
Francisco Bros: "DEAL!!!!!"

beatnutz

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

That was weird. Looking back at it in hindsight maybe we should have been more impressed with his students ACT scores? I hate to see people leave like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.