[SOLVED] Corsair HXI 750 (is it failing?)

lottaphotos4

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Yeah, I know, talk about a typical question.
Sorry, but I need to run this past you guys, see if there's a solid answer or consensus.

Intel i7-8700K (NOT Overclocking)
Radeon RX Vega 64 (NOT Overclocking)
ASUS HERO X MOBO
16 GB Corsair RAM
Corsair H115i CPU Liquid Cooler

CPU is NOT overheating (not getting past the 35C).
GPU is NOT overheating (not getting above 70C).
RAM tested, no errors.
Current version Windows 10 up to date.
Current Radeon drivers for RX Vega 64 re-installed after deleting, just to be sure.

The problem I am seeing:
ONLY during 7 Days to Die.
Not specifically during graphics intense times (e.g riding through city centers or during Blood Moon).
System is insta-offing, from mid game play to just flat-out off like somebody puilled the plug out of the wall.

System waits 10 seconds, does a restart, and then acts like nothing's wrong.

This is happening maybe once or twice a night.
In-game, it has happened while I was wrenching a street light, while I was walking up a ladder and cresting to the roof, and while looking down and beating on a rock with a stone axe. Can't find a commonality, or a reason why any of those would cause a crash.
Game is up to date, game files verified.

My PSU is just over three years old.
Never had an issue before last week.
Never had a shutdown.

I'm getting the feeling/impression from all that I have seen online that it might be the PSU going bad.

So,....is it?

(I do not have any multimeters. I do not have any alternate PSUs to swap. I am tryiing to figure out if I need to get a replacement, hopefully using information available on my system. I am not an electrical engineer, and I am terrified any time I have to open the box and fiddle with things, ESPECIALLY if it's related to power/connections, even though I did build this system, and it has run without issues for at least 8000 hours since 2018.)

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.
Mostly would like some kind of feeling for how likely it is the PSU, given all the other things I've already checked and found no issues.

Or is it a game error/issue? (Possible, but a little difficult to believe unless it was introduced in the last update, as I've got thousands of hours of play without this happening over the last couple years.)

Thank you for any helpful thoughts.
:)

Solution

Since the issue is with only one game, and 7D2D is still in Early Access, i'd say it's game issue.
(I too have 7D2D but i haven't played it since A18.)

You could bench your PC and look if you also get shutdowns during bench, e.g Prime95 and/or Cinebench (for CPU), Unigine Superposition and/or 3DMark and/or PassMark (for GPU), memtest86 (for RAM). And/or UserBenchmark for the whole build. <- If you do UserBenchmark, you can post the results link here.

While the PSU is ~3 years old, the platform itself is 8 years old. HXi was released back in 2014. Still, your PSU has 10 years of warranty and if you do suspect PSU, especially when your PC also shuts down...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Since the issue is with only one game, and 7D2D is still in Early Access, i'd say it's game issue.
(I too have 7D2D but i haven't played it since A18.)

You could bench your PC and look if you also get shutdowns during bench, e.g Prime95 and/or Cinebench (for CPU), Unigine Superposition and/or 3DMark and/or PassMark (for GPU), memtest86 (for RAM). And/or UserBenchmark for the whole build. <- If you do UserBenchmark, you can post the results link here.

While the PSU is ~3 years old, the platform itself is 8 years old. HXi was released back in 2014. Still, your PSU has 10 years of warranty and if you do suspect PSU, especially when your PC also shuts down during benching, indicating clearer PSU issue, you can RMA it.

System waits 10 seconds, does a restart, and then acts like nothing's wrong.

This indicates overheating. It may not be CPU or GPU that overheats, but it could be PSU itself. And once temps drop below threshold, it is ready to go again, like nothing happened.

Using compressed air, to blow into PSU, while holding the fan in place, so it won't spin, is the only thing you can do, regards PSU. But once you're cleaning your PSU, might as well clean the whole PC from dust.

Last edited:
Solution

lottaphotos4

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Thank you Aeacus for the reply!

I had thought of running a benchmark (have Unigen Heaven 4.0...pretty sure I ran it when I built this rig three years ago,...but was just a little worried that running the PSU that hard when it might have an issue could result in Something Bad happening (e.g. BOOM! or the MOBO frying). I won't hold you to it, but do you think it's probably OK to give it a try?

As an aside, yes, it could be a 7 Days issue, as they did just come out with an update in the last month (A21), but it's hard to say for sure since I can't get it to reliably replicate in any particular situation.
-Oh, and if you haven't played since A18,...LOTS of changes, practically a different game. Set aside a thousand hours and give it a whirl!
-Lastly on this topic (and this is an issue with The Fun Pimps and not you....I have a really difficult time calling a game that's been out for 4+ years and has gone through 21 major iterations, plus hundreds of sub-iterations)"Early Access". LOL

Yes, looking into an RMA, but I kind of need to figure out a replacement before I take that step, or I won't have a computer in the mean time.
Plus I bought the PSU from NewEgg, and they say that it's out of the three year return period, so now I have to figure out whether to yell at them or go directly to Corsair. Fun times.

Compressed air is on the list. Just got a Commander Pro to free up a couple of internal USB ports, and was planning on pulling the PSU shroud for a little Spring Cleaning when I went in there.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
had thought of running a benchmark (have Unigen Heaven 4.0...pretty sure I ran it when I built this rig three years ago,...but was just a little worried that running the PSU that hard when it might have an issue could result in Something Bad happening (e.g. BOOM! or the MOBO frying). I won't hold you to it, but do you think it's probably OK to give it a try?

HXi is really well made PSU and there is little chance of it bringing other components with it when it goes out. Still, there is a chance, albeit, small.

If you're worried that benching your build might blow the PSU, avoid the bench and 7D2D. ;) Until you get a new PSU.

As an aside, yes, it could be a 7 Days issue, as they did just come out with an update in the last month (A21), but it's hard to say for sure since I can't get it to reliably replicate in any particular situation.
-Oh, and if you haven't played since A18,...LOTS of changes, practically a different game. Set aside a thousand hours and give it a whirl!
-Lastly on this topic (and this is an issue with The Fun Pimps and not you....I have a really difficult time calling a game that's been out for 4+ years and has gone through 21 major iterations, plus hundreds of sub-iterations)"Early Access". LOL

Yeah, but since 7D2D is still in Alpha versions, and not even in Beta versions, it essentially is still in Early Access. :) I know many such, in development games, who are made by Indie/single person and which have been in-development/early access for years. Another one that comes to my mind and which i like, is Starsector.

I played 7D2D to scratch my base building itch. :LOL: And while the game is meant to be played with zeds, i like it without any, so i can collect/mine resources and build/repair houses. E.g similar to Glock9 and his House Flipper series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc594J9-WhOyVz1rdkvY6YV86oQe0Bs7b).

Plus I bought the PSU from NewEgg, and they say that it's out of the three year return period, so now I have to figure out whether to yell at them or go directly to Corsair. Fun times.

If Egg doesn't accept RMA, Corsair will. Just contact Corsair and give them your PSU invoice, to get the shipping info + what to do next, from them directly. Corsair customer support is nice. I've contacted them many times with various issues and thus far, they are very friendly, professional and helpful. I'd say Corsair customer support is on-par with NZXT and Seasonic customer support (my top 3 best experiences with customer support). :)

lottaphotos4

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Just a quick update so you don't lose sleep wondering. :)

Have not seen the problem the last couple days, so I'm kind of waiting to see if it reappears or not before I pull the PSU.
Just got the Corsair Commander PRO and will be hooking up the PSU Link just for laughs, to see what it shows me.

I did contact Corsair. Couple of really nice replies from Lexie (who apparently is awake answering emails in the middle of the night, which is great for those of us on a night schedule!), she was great.
She's offered to help me if I need to replace, just needs my Serial # and copy of receipt I believe.
I asked about the unavilablility of new HXI units, reading between the lines of our conversation, it sounds like they have not stopped production and more may be expected in the future, so guessing it's a supply issue to the factory?

Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
so guessing it's a supply issue to the factory?

One word: COVID-19.

Due to the pandemic, especially during Winter time, many Asia factories are closed down. That reduces units produced considerably. Also, shipping time is greatly increased as well. Under normal circumstances, shipping (by ship), takes 30 days of travel time + other logistics of 30 days as well. So, without pandemic, shipping from Asia (Taiwan or Chinese factories) takes 60 days. Now, factor in pandemic as well and shipping time can easily double + then some.