Review Corsair iCUE H170i Elite LCD XT Review: Chart-Topping Performance

Greg7579

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
I am confused. I have had this AIO on my build list for the past year or so. Is this cooler brand new? Maybe Corsair updated it? I think the one I was going to buy did not have the "XT" on the name. Plus they are using different fans? The review here says it comes with AF RGB Elite fans. The review of the earlier model said it had 3 ML 140 RGB Elites. AF vs ML?

I'm not talking about the cheaper version that had no IPS display on the head. Maybe you are just now reviewing it months later or is there a slightly updated new version here?

Doesn't really matter because I'm building with this model reviewed here, but I would like to know if this is slight update of something that already existed for a few months.

Great review.

Looks like the corsair cooler brute forced its way to the top of the performance charts by being as loud as a helicopter taking off. I wonder how the Arctic Freezer 2 420mm AIO would perform. Probably the same or better performance but at 10 decibel or less noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Apr 1, 2020
One of your "Pros" is that the fan curve is tied to the coolant temperature. That is a Corsair iCue feature where you can select the temperature sensor to tie the fan curve to. Personally I use the package temperature, but anyone with an iCue capable cooler can choose to use its coolant temp.

Screenshot-2023-02-28-200901.png

Albert.Thomas

Prominent
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
One of your "Pros" is that the fan curve is tied to the coolant temperature. That is a Corsair iCue feature where you can select the temperature sensor to tie the fan curve to. Personally I use the package temperature, but anyone with an iCue capable cooler can choose to use its coolant temp.

Screenshot-2023-02-28-200901.png

Oh dear, I thought I had mentioned that this was the "default" option - and that one has the ability to change the sensor it's tied to.

I'll see about getting the article updated.

Reactions: Sluggotg
Thanks for this review, Albert.

I have a question about the "unlimited power" test: when you say the AIO managed to "cool" 320W+ from the 13900K, does it mean it still throttled? You didn't mention it explicitly, so I'm curious. I think adding the temperature, if it didn't throttle, would be great. Although, I think it still throttled XD

Also, thanks for using the ILM frame, but should you really be using it, since it's not the "default" experience? I say this, because you're skewing your data like that and it won't be apples to apples with anyone else's.

Regards.

Reactions: Sluggotg

Albert.Thomas

Prominent
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
I have a question about the "unlimited power" test: when you say the AIO managed to "cool" 320W+ from the 13900K, does it mean it still throttled?

All modern CPUs will throttle under intense workloads - my Ryzen 7700X system also throttles in this test.

This cooler almost maintained the 5.5ghz maximum clock speeds of Intel's i9-13900K.

Also, thanks for using the ILM frame, but should you really be using it, since it's not the "default" experience? I say this, because you're skewing your data like that and it won't be apples to apples with anyone else's.

Maybe, maybe not. Most folks will not see any temperature difference using the frame on a newly installed CPU - I think this is something that happens over time.

When I installed the frame on the motherboard I'm currently using for cooler testing, I saw no difference whatsoever in temps.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-lga1700-bcf-contact-frame

However, when I installed it on the motherboard I used to use for thermal testing - I observed temperatures dropping 12c+

Reactions: Sluggotg and -Fran-

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Great review! I have been waiting on a decent review of the Corsair 420mm cooler. I have used 3 of the NON-XT versions of this. (They have the display, but different fans ). It can be a challenge to find a good case that supports 420mm radiators and even then fitting them in can be really annoying. In the long run it is well worth it.