Corsair Intros its Vengeance Airflow Memory Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
just out of curiosity, for those running speeds around DDR3 2400, are these coolers justified or does the RAM still run relatively cool with just heat spreaders at that speed? Also, what about in a scenario where the CPU is water cooled and you don't have the airflow from a CPU heatsink fan to pull air across the RAM?

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Really?...I've heard overclocked memory offers nothing for gaming, just extra heat. Save yourself the hassle and money, get 1600.

Higher memory.speeds do allow some small gains in certain situations. But we have all known the hear spreaders on Dimms are a joke for a LONG
Time. These are just ascetic products to fleece noobs. And if they like burning money and like how they look... Well to each idiot his own

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
These are not just for 'n00bs' (at least type it correctly unksol). Most highend hardware and modding accessories have a lot of aesthetic influence on their designs and that stuff is most certainly not used by 'n00bs'.

However, I think these are ugly and don't even 'look' practical as around 2/3 of the RAM isn't even under the fan. I think they would look a lot better if they were squared off more and featured 2 fans that ran slower,, maybe with LED lights too.

The CPU fan usually provides enough airflow for 2400MHz+, however a hot climate using a CPU liquid cooler can leave poor airflow across the DDR3 RAM.

If the NOISE isn't very audible I can see a case for it in some scenarios.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
@ universal remonster
memory only needs cooling when it's overclocked, and even then, if you have a decent case with decent airflow, you don't need it for mild overclocking.

So if you RAM is rated at 2400MHZ and you're running it at stock timings and speeds, then no additional cooling is needed. But if it is, say, a 1600MHZ rated RAM or if you have tightened the timings too much, then additional cooling is advised.

Corsair generally makes good, quality products, but I am not seeing it with this one.

Depending on the cost, I think I would rather spring for the solution Arctic Cooling already has.

I have used a RAM cooler in the past, but to be clear, it was only there to add light and visual interest. The g.skill ram coolers look much nicer. Some people like other types of lighting, like what was featured in that funky case review recently. To each their own. I do very much dislike this design.

f-14

Distinguished
["It can spin at speeds up to 3500 RPM, where it'll push up to 14.5 CFM."]

3500 rpm for just 14 cfm is stupid ridiculous not to mention going to be the ultra high pitched nosiest thing in the room.

not exactly a great set up for cooling sinks either, i'd rather have a lateral solution that blows 5-10 cfm at 500rpm that's so silent you don't even know it's on.

while it's not necessary with out a double or higher over clock, most side panels have a 45+cfm fan that delivers 10-15 cfm in abstract reflected air flow when it hits the M/B. around the memory banks. also those 140mm top panel fans tend to draw more of the heat coming off the spreaders anyways

FTPATQ

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

exactly!! oh look how shiny and colourful my ram looks. it's called dominator vengeance extreme power fuzion maximus stealth apocalypse demon annihilate RAM.

SteveCR

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Actually, to be honest, RAM silicone has pretty good heat to surface area ratio. Meaning RAM can be cooled quite well with just air passing over the surface. Large heat spreaders will in pure theory provided a slight upper hand, but like someone already said is more marketing than performance. RAM at around 1.6~1.7v doesn't really need much cooling OC or not.

Heard this from an ex Thermalright engineer, they take off the RAM heat spreaders in their cooler torture test bed.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I really doubt you can use the amount of electricity equivalent to what one pays for the product. Let's just say it consumes 2W of energy and electricity is $0.10/kW. 500 hours per $0.10, 5000 hours per $1.00 and multiplying by the cost ($35 *5000 = 175000 hours = 19.977 years.

Eye candy and bragging rights at best, even then bragging about something pointless warrants a useless argument.

BlueReason

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
These are not just for 'n00bs' (at least type it correctly unksol).
for some reason I found it funny that you chose that to correct, rather than his use of "ascetic" instead of "aesthetic."

Status
Not open for further replies.