Corsair K70 LUX RGB Keyboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Glad to see they're finally putting USB passthrough on their keyboards. I've got a K95 and there's no reason for that to be omitted on that flagship keyboard, but it is. I mean, honestly, USB passthrough should just be standard on every keyboard. But especially on higher-end ones.

From what I read the original K95 RGB needed more power so they skipped the USB passthrough to make sure the LEDs got the power they needed. The Platinum looks like it has it and my old K90 has it.

Picked up a k65 lux rgb yesterday. Awesome keyboard. Very well made. Its my third Corsair and my first mechanical board in a long time. Software is sloooooow. Seems okay once it gets going. Overall I think the lighting on mine is quite good...brighter than my other kbs. As long as it holds up in the long run, I'd recommend it.

dstarr3

Distinguished

The K95 also requires two USB ports. If your keyboard needs two USB ports to work and doesn't have USB passthrough, there's something wrong.

The original K95 had USB passthrough:

http://www.eteknix.com/corsair-k95-mechanical-keyboard-review/

And no, the K90 has 2 USB ports but I currently have only one plugged in and am typing just fine. I was just telling you that the K95 RGB was using both USB ports for power for the RGB LEDs and you do not want another USB device possibly using that port causing issues with the LEDs. Do I know for sure? No but that is the best info I can find.

And as I said, the K95 RGB platinum does have a USB passthrough which means they probably found a way to include it with the Chery MX RGBs.

minimini537

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
All these led keyboards are more than 10 years behind Lebedev Optimus Maximus. While Lebedev has LCD keys, we must be happy with LED back lighting. I think it's enough of offering us old and cheap ideas. And yes, K70 is the best among old news. It's just not what one would expect in 2017.

dstarr3

Distinguished

When your product costs an order of magnitude more than the others, yeah, I'd imagine there are some extra bells and whistles. It's like criticizing a Ford Fiesta for not being more like a Tesla.

minimini537

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Yeah I agree on Ford and Tesla thing and that comparison is out of the same category. I also drive Volvo instead of Tesla, which consumes like a Russian tank instead of silent and fully tax-deducible Tesla. My bad...

I am just tired that no one wants to make a mainstream LCD (world-wide international characters) and make it accessible for everyone. Companies like Corsair and the best positioned to do so, but instead I see just a bit better mainstream LED product.... Do we really have to wait for Apple to make iKeyboard or iWhatever to show everyone once again how to re-invent a wheel and give us what we already had just for different price.

Sorry for my frustration, was hoping maybe someone agrees with me... no hard feelings...

Even the best value micro-displays (that would fit in a keyboard) are running $15 (monochrome) That's 1500 dollars in just the key displays. Before you look at the rest of the keyboard. For that cost I could buy a nice PC and a nice keyboard and touch monitor. It's not practical even for Corsair. You might be able to pull it off using some sort of light pipe fiber optic tech and a custom monitor but that would be some major R&D and would likely end up costing 2-300. LCD keys would be cool but the cost for the functionality is massively out of balance.

Just ordered myself Topre Realforce RGB hope its as good as i hope it is for $240.
Wish Toms did some reviews on lesser known brands of keyboards im sure there's 100s of corsair reviews out there.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Patience. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.