Corsair Link Refuses to Work (Fan Speeds) H80i GT

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Hello all,

It seems that Corsair Link refuses to work. I recently did a clean install on an SSD and had Corsair Link on my HDD beforehand. I was able to do the registry fix, and everything was working. The fan speeds would increase when the CPU temps increased (Performance Mode). Now, however, I cannot do the registry fix as I'm missing files or something. I only have 1 file for the correct registry location instead of the normal 4 that you have to edit. I've reinstalled link numerous times, unplugged and plugged the USB back in, changed USB ports, etc. I'm at a loss since all the files aren't there in the registry. The program detects all the hardware and I'm able to change the LED color. However, the fan speeds just won't increase with the CPU. Any thoughts?

Update:
I have fan speed control disabled in the BIOS in order to force the fan header to receive 100% power. I've read that the pump should be running at 100% all the time. I also did this on my previous install of Windows, so this shouldn't be the issue.

Solution
Curves are all taken care of in the link software, but that software is pretty broken some times, if it doesn't let you do custom curves, try installing a different version.

You've gotten some bad information there! The CPU fan is 4pin, which means it always gets 100% power+a signal telling it when to use that power (that it can ignore). The pump will always run at 100%, and the fans will run either at the % that the motherboard states or whenever you put in corsair link (link takes precedence) . Of course, those things all run off the SATA power connector anyway, entirely bypassing the motherboard's power and only using the PWM signal.

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

Yes, the CPU_FAN header is a 4 pin, but the pump comes with a 3 pin header. Also, I believe the pump is powered through the CPU-FAN header as well. There is no SATA power connector for the pump, but there is a mini USB to USB 2.0 port on the mobo.
So all those things, would enabling fan control allow for Link to control the fan speeds? I can individually control them, in the sense that if I change from quiet to performance, the speed will increase from ~700RPM to 1600RPM. However, what it won't do is change with the temperature of the CPU. I can change the speeds when I switch to fixed % as well, it just won't change with the temperature. Also, why would disabling motherboard fan control effect it? It was disabled on the previous install of Windows and it worked perfectly.

Double checked, and the GT indeed swtiches it up from the non gt version by removing the SATA power. Doesn't change anything though, as long as your motherboard is set to PWM and you put it into the proper three pins, the three pins will be ground, fixed 12V, and tachometer, and the pump will be running 100% (~2200rpm). If you set it to something other than PWM, it might screw with system.

In this case though, sounds like user error, since you can change the fan speed. What temperatures are you getting that are so concerning? An overclocked 95W chip should be running ~25-35C idle and 60-65C at full use.

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

I'll double check the pin header to make sure they're in the right pins. However, I do have the option to change the pump from quiet to performance, which changes the speed from ~1800RPM to ~2200RPM
The temperatures aren't a concern at all, about 55 degrees under load. I have an aggressive cooling curve for my GPUs so they tend to be on the louder side when gaming. Therefore, I can make the CPU fans 100% and still not hear them. While temperature isn't the issue, I can shave off 5 degrees from the CPU. Regardless, I'd still like to get the cooling curves working, especially since they were working on a previous Windows install.

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

I've tried two different versions. There are registry fixes that I've found, but it's strange that I don't have all the necessary entries in the registry.