[SOLVED] Corsair LL140 as a CPU fan?

Apr 17, 2020
Hi guys,

Just wanted to pick your brains on something.

I just wanted to know if it would be viable or sensible to use a Corsair LL140 (or a LL120 if I exchange it) as the CPU fan attached to a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 heatsink (ancient I know!!). I know it doesn't exactly fit but I was going to get an 120mm-140mm adaptor.

I was more concerned with the performance of having a case fan as the heatsink fan as it would have to be plugged into the Lighting Node Pro along with the others as opposed to being independently controlled.

Though I do have a Noctua fan I could attach to the other side of the heatsink to maybe act as a pull fan if perormance would be an issue.

You can probably tell, I'm just tyring to do this from a looks POV more than anything, god I hate that brown colour on the Noctuas!

Additional info if it's helpful:
Case: Fractal R6
MB: Asus X570 TUF

Or I could get an AIO but I've read mixed things about them.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
The problem is the performance, the LL140 doesn't move anywhere near the CFM of air that a regular 140 fan does.

I DO use 2 LL120 fans on my 240m AIO, but they are running at Max and I have a case fan that is basically directly feeding them. Its loud but its my sim system so I have headphones on and don't hear it. If you're prepared for such a compromise (and you can add a rear fan to pull out as well, then it will work.

1 LL140 on a heatsink is just not enough.

And theres nothing wrong with a good AIO if used properly.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The problem is the performance, the LL140 doesn't move anywhere near the CFM of air that a regular 140 fan does.

I DO use 2 LL120 fans on my 240m AIO, but they are running at Max and I have a case fan that is basically directly feeding them. Its loud but its my sim system so I have headphones on and don't hear it. If you're prepared for such a compromise (and you can add a rear fan to pull out as well, then it will work.

1 LL140 on a heatsink is just not enough.

And theres nothing wrong with a good AIO if used properly.

Solution
Apr 17, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Would it be effective to have the LL140 running at the front on low speed so it's quiet, but the noctua behind it pulling the serious air through?