Corsair LPX with AM4

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
I will try to buy a R5 2600 soon and I think it's better to check. Never knows. I currently have two 8gb lpx corsair vengeance on my 1151 mobo and I'm wondering if I will have any compatibility problem putting them on a AM4 socket when changing. I saw on a video where the people had to buy a new set of ram because some Corsair Dominator memory didnt work... and on the website it says there is compatibility for Intel 100 Series,Intel 200 Series,Intel 300 Series,Intel X99,Intel X299. I know they probably just didn't update it, but, you know

Solution
the LPX brand should work fine. especially with 2nd gen Ryzen. There was issues in the beginning of Ryzen, but it has been mostly remedied with BIOS updates and whatnot.

But to be sure, you can always check the QVL of whatever motherboard you want to buy as well as just googling if your exact model of LPX memory has issues with Ryzen 2nd gen

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the LPX brand should work fine. especially with 2nd gen Ryzen. There was issues in the beginning of Ryzen, but it has been mostly remedied with BIOS updates and whatnot.

But to be sure, you can always check the QVL of whatever motherboard you want to buy as well as just googling if your exact model of LPX memory has issues with Ryzen 2nd gen

Solution

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

I checked this list of supported RAMs, and mine is not there. There are, though, lots of models similars to mine. And I checked the list for supported RAMs for my current Motherboard and my Ram is not there either haha. So I guess i'm fine. It just doesn't have support for it, right? I just wonder if this will limit my ram or something. My corsair is 2400mhz and my mobo limits that by default. Ryzens mobos don't, but I don't if my ram not being support will get in the way or something. Anyway, thanks for the tip of checking the list

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

Oh, but I don't have any money to spare on expensive rams. Especially here where I live, things are much pricer. Just one more question. Can I overclock with stock cooler (because i heard its pretty good) on a A320M? Not ideal mobo, but like I said things are expensive here.

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

There is the thing. In Brazil, things are not cheap (those g skills rams cost almost 300 dollars here). The difference between the two mobos is about 50 dollars here, and to add it up, 50 dollars is more for us because our currency is worth less.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
here's the cheapest set of FAST ram I could see on brazil amazon
https://www.amazon.com.br/Memoria-Corsair-Vengeance-3000Mh-CMR16GX4M2C3000C15/dp/B06XRFNWHK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1541657512&sr=8-9&keywords=DDR4+16GB

As for the motherboard, I just remembered, A320 is 1st generation Ryzen, and for it to work with 2nd gen, you first need a first gen chip to install so you can get the BIOS updated.

But I don't know what places you have to chooses from for online retailers.

Basically, see what you can find for the cheapest dual channel memory kit, whether it be 16GB (2x8) or 8GB (2x4) and 3000MHz or higher in speed.
But that's only if your current RAM doesn't work (which honestly, it should work just fine)

As for motherboard, whichever is available in your budget that's cheaper which would be a B450 or an X470 motherboard.

Otherwise, you will have to settle for a first generation Ryzen CPU and then you can more easily find B350 or X370 motherboards for less.

But if your current RAM is slower than 2666MHz at the absolute very least then it will hurt the performance of the Ryzen CPU. Because Ryzen performance is directly linked with RAM performance and faster RAM means faster CPU even at stock clock speeds. Having faster memory will make it perform better at stock speeds than with slower RAM at stock speeds.

Mr_Furball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

i didn't know that a320 was for the first gen, so I will try to find one of the second gen. Thanks for the hint. And yeah, the memory should work. I saw someone saying that the QVL is a list of what they tested. Just because it's not there doesn't mean it does not work. As for the ram, if I didn't have any, 1100 reais is not that much indeed, considering two 2400mhz are 800. But I just bought my second ram, so, you know, I will have to stick with 2400mhz. But still it's almost the price of a gtx 1060.

Edit: I checked on Gigabyte website and it says the a320m supports 2nd gen ryzens in the F1 version.