[SOLVED] Corsair ML120 (non-rgb)

Jul 11, 2019
I'm about to buy two corsair ML120 Fans in red color from corsair. And what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not I'll need Corsair commander pro or lightning node pro for them.
I have already tried doing some research myself, but I couldn't find anything, for the ML120 non-rgb that would be helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Do you mean ML120 Pro LED?
specs: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-pro-led-config/p/CO-9050042-WW

If so, you don't need Corsair iCUE or any additional hardware from Corsair. ML Pro LED fans are regular 4-pin PWM fans. Well, not that regular since they have mag-lev bearing and they are one of the best fans out there but other than that, they are standard fans.

How i know this? Simple: in my Skylake and Haswell builds, i have the very same fans cooling the PCs, red LED ones in Skylake and blue LED ones in Haswell, both 120mm and 140mm sizes. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do you mean ML120 Pro LED?
specs: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-pro-led-config/p/CO-9050042-WW

If so, you don't need Corsair iCUE or any additional hardware from Corsair. ML Pro LED fans are regular 4-pin PWM fans. Well, not that regular since they have mag-lev bearing and they are one of the best fans out there but other than that, they are standard fans.

How i know this? Simple: in my Skylake and Haswell builds, i have the very same fans cooling the PCs, red LED ones in Skylake and blue LED ones in Haswell, both 120mm and 140mm sizes. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Reactions: ExTile
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Aeacus is quite right. Those fans are termed "LED Fans", the first type on the market that had lighting LED's in their frame. But they are not the complex RGB types now popular. Basically, the LED's in the frame are merely connected in parallel to the same power that feeds the motor. So there is only one cable to power and control the entire unit with no ability to control anything about the lights. They are just on whenever the fan gets power. In fact, this version of LED fan with a 4-pin PWM motor is better than the earlier versions with 3-pin motors, because the LED's always receive the same voltage and hence do not change their brightness as fan speed changes.