[SOLVED] Corsair ML140 Pro RGB vs ML140 Pro

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi all, any opinions would be helpful but if you have a definitive answer that would be nice too. I'm wondering which fan of the two (ML140 RGB Pro or ML140 Pro Non-LED) would keep my temps better in my computer. Currently, using the RGB Pro ones, my GPU temps go up to 75 degrees Celsius under stress tests and my CPU temps hit 50 degrees Celsius. Both fans have different specifications despite being the similar model, here they are:

Speed
Non-LED: 400 - 2000 RPM
RGB: 400 - 1200 RPM

Sound Level
Non-LED: 37 dBA
RGB: 20.4 dBA

Power Draw
Non-LED: 0.202 A
RGB: 0.2 A

Static Pressure
Non-LED: 0.2 - 3.0 mm-H2O
RGB: 1.27 mm

Fan Airflow
Non-LED: 97 CFM
RGB: 55.4 CFM

The RGB is nice but not necessary, and the difference in price is sort of negligible to me. The RGB one was $74 for 2, and the non RGB one is around $25 each. Obviously on paper it looks like the non RGB one will cool better but I'm wondering how many actual degrees Celsius it will take off. If the non-RGB ones will take off a few Celsius, maybe from 75 degrees to 70 degrees then I think it would be worth just not getting the RGB ones? The actual specifics of the build parts aren't important I'm guessing but I'll list them anyway.
CPU: i5-10400
GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z
MOBO: MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200MHz
Case: Corsair 678C

Solution
There's no real reason to bother, as the thermals you're currently experiencing aren't lethal anyways.
From what I've seen here, adding fans wouldn't do much in that chassis either:
[Cooling Performance Overview

"Understanding the air flow in this case took a few minutes of examination. By default the front and top fans are set to intake with the rear fan set to exhaust. In the usual course of things the top fan would also exhaust but it quickly became apparent the front of the case is effectively sealed. If you retain the closed top panel and do not employ the alternate mesh filter, you get effectively zero air flow through the top and front. With the mesh panel in place the top of the case provides a reasonable...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's no real reason to bother, as the thermals you're currently experiencing aren't lethal anyways.

"Understanding the air flow in this case took a few minutes of examination. By default the front and top fans are set to intake with the rear fan set to exhaust. In the usual course of things the top fan would also exhaust but it quickly became apparent the front of the case is effectively sealed. If you retain the closed top panel and do not employ the alternate mesh filter, you get effectively zero air flow through the top and front. With the mesh panel in place the top of the case provides a reasonable amount of air flow.

But what happens when the front and top are both closed? Common sense says the case will choke and the components will cook but in practice this is not what happens. Temperatures do indeed rise, typically by three or four degrees with a maximum increase in our test system of seven degrees for the CPU. We shows our figures as deltas, but to put this in context the highest absolute figures we saw were 67 degrees for the CPU and 71 degrees for the GPU which is still well inside safe limits.

Our explanation is that the floor of the case is heavily ventilated and the rear of the case is also fairly open, and that explains the curious way the air flows inside the Carbide 678C
."]

There's the default top intake to rear exhaust, and the alternative bottom intake to rear exhaust when the top panel is sealed.

You've got your silent chassis; adding fans will only serve to counteract that:
"The fans have to work in close proximity to the closed panels and as a result the noise level went up significantly while the air flow barely changed."

TL;DR: Neither - you'd be wasting money.
The non-LED version would become audible over everything else before it can really do anything.
The LED version just doesn't have enough muscle - the main downside of the LED models - effectively doing nothing.

Reactions: Haibrands
Solution

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014

"Understanding the air flow in this case took a few minutes of examination. By default the front and top fans are set to intake with the rear fan set to exhaust. In the usual course of things the top fan would also exhaust but it quickly became apparent the front of the case is effectively sealed. If you retain the closed top panel and do not employ the alternate mesh filter, you get effectively zero air flow through the top and front. With the mesh panel in place the top of the case provides a reasonable amount of air flow.

But what happens when the front and top are both closed? Common sense says the case will choke and the components will cook but in practice this is not what happens. Temperatures do indeed rise, typically by three or four degrees with a maximum increase in our test system of seven degrees for the CPU. We shows our figures as deltas, but to put this in context the highest absolute figures we saw were 67 degrees for the CPU and 71 degrees for the GPU which is still well inside safe limits.

Our explanation is that the floor of the case is heavily ventilated and the rear of the case is also fairly open, and that explains the curious way the air flows inside the Carbide 678C
."]

There's the default top intake to rear exhaust, and the alternative bottom intake to rear exhaust when the top panel is sealed.

You've got your silent chassis; adding fans will only serve to counteract that:
"The fans have to work in close proximity to the closed panels and as a result the noise level went up significantly while the air flow barely changed."

TL;DR: Neither - you'd be wasting money.
The non-LED version would become audible over everything else before it can really do anything.
The LED version just doesn't have enough muscle - the main downside of the LED models - effectively doing nothing.

Wow that's actually great insight. Thanks a bunch.